USB Console v1.5 available now

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Helibot
Helibot's picture
USB Console v1.5 available now

Hi all,

An improved version of the RSMedia USB Console is now available.   For those who dont know the USB Console -  it allows the PC to open a terminal window and send linux commands to the RSMedia's linux console. The commands and responses are sent via the USB cable b/n the PC and the Robot. So you can type linux commands to the robot without needing to make any hardware mods to the robot.

Version 1.5 has these improvements :-

• The VI editor can be used to edit files on the robot filesystem.
  • Zmodem transfers mostly work (to upload or download files b/n robot and the PC).
  • You can paste really long commands to the terminal and the robot will receive them OK (this was an issue in V1.4)

You can download v1.5 from teh RSMedia Dev Kit project at Sourceforge. See the link here
I have also uploaded it to Robocummunity downloads area. See the link here.
Download the archive and unzip it on your PC and read the README.htm file for instructions.

For anyone interetsed, during the PPP over USB investigations (see this thread) we found that the version of mx1ads_usbserial.o file supplied with V2 RSMedia's (with USBNET oiption) worked better than the mx1ads_usbserial.o which I previously compiled from open source. So this is the main change in V1.4 to 1.5 version. The usb2tcp.exe file was also improved slightly to finetune the time delay b/n sending data packets from the PC to the robot.

Cheers
    Helibot

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi all,
Just a quick note - I realised that I forgot to add the rsupdateapp script in the archive. I have reloaded the corrected archive to Sourceforge and Robocommunity links.
(Note that on the robocommunity download area - the archive is now called RSMUSBNetConsole-1-3.5.zip -which is a bit confusing!! But it is the right file!)

Cheers
Helibot