Web Server on RSM - Mission Accomplished!

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jamie
Jamie's picture
Web Server on RSM - Mission Accomplished!

Hello all,

I have compiled 'thttpd' for RS Media, and have tested it on Freddy A's RS Media!
The news is: IT WORKS!
Freddy's RS Media now runs a webserver thanks to me! (also a huge help from Helibot who got RS Media on the Internet, which without helibot, RS Media wouldn't have a webserver!)
I will post more details later, such as compiled binaries and source.

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Robostuff
Robostuff's picture

Impressive!

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Ha, this is pretty sweet. I haven't heard of this ever being done. I wonder how effective/powerful of a webserver RSM can be. Please post when you get more details :)

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

This is possible thanks to Helibot and Jamie, this has definitely never been done so I have the first connected RSM. I would not define it possibilities in powerfulness, but in effectiveness I can say it will allow us to send control commands, serv up images, files and perhaps audio and video for telepresence. Something along the lines of rovio if you have a wireless serial hack as I do. Hopefully Vader will have a beta of a main control page out for the RSM Manager we can toy with. Definitely boldly going where none has gone before.

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Peter Redmer said:

Ha, this is pretty sweet. I haven't heard of this ever being done. I wonder how effective/powerful of a webserver RSM can be. Please post when you get more details :)

Hello Peter,

I have been using ShowMyPC to get to Freddy A's PC, and connecting to his RS Media, ShowMyPC makes it really easy todo so.
And haha there are lots of times where we fight over the mouse lol!
Anyhow, back to topic.

I have got a simple webpage up and running on his RS Media, and it seems to work fine.
I have to run these commands at startup (rsupdateapp):

/bin/mount -t vfat /dev/mmc /mnt/sd rw,remount

chmod -R 7777 /mnt/sd/thttpd

/mnt/sd/ppp/ppp_ser.sh &

/mnt/sd/thttpd/thttpd &

If I don't run these commands at startup, the webserver will not work properly!

When I make an installer for it all, it will add all necessary files, including a special rsupdateapp script.

It should be fully tested and posted in a few days or so.

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey Jamie,
Well done, great work. Great to see other people starting to compile stuff to run on RSMedia ;-).
I have used 'thttpd' once before (a long time ago...) and it worked well.
There is another web server called 'webs' that also supports java script and a few other things. I have a build of it ready but havent tried it on RSMedia yet.

Also it should be noted that
-you need to have a RSM V2 (the one with USBNET menu option). Otherwise networking and ppp cant start.
-currently Freddy is running PPP over the Serial cable , so anyone wanting to try this must have the serial hack done.

But hopefully (sometime in the nearish future) we will have PPP over USB working enough to allow webserving.

Cheers
Helibot.

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Helibot said:

Hey Jamie,
Well done, great work. Great to see other people starting to compile stuff to run on RSMedia ;-).
I have used 'thttpd' once before (a long time ago...) and it worked well.
There is another web server called 'webs' that also supports java script and a few other things. I have a build of it ready but havent tried it on RSMedia yet.

Also it should be noted that
-you need to have a RSM V2 (the one with USBNET menu option). Otherwise networking and ppp cant start.
-currently Freddy is running PPP over the Serial cable , so anyone wanting to try this must have the serial hack done.

But hopefully (sometime in the nearish future) we will have PPP over USB working enough to allow webserving.

Cheers
Helibot.

Hello Helibot,

Yes! I did forget to mention those things!

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello All, a note on thttpd, it will only work for linux and I was unable to browse to any custom pages. SO using a different web server called webs compiled by Helibot I was able to make a simple web page that displays what ever is on the LCD. Some work has to be done on it to be more useful for control or tts but it works. I used Helibots rsmalarmclockV2 with a recurring alarm every few seconds and a custom .sh using screenshot by helibot to make a jpeg and mount the sd rw and place the image into the web folder. Then once the web server is running I can browse to the page that refreshes every few seconds with a new image. take a look!

Note: this is completely wireless!

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

FreddyA said:
Hello All, a note on thttpd, it will only work for linux and I was unable to browse to any custom pages. SO using a different web server called webs compiled by Helibot I was able to make a simple web page that displays what ever is on the LCD. Some work has to be done on it to be more useful for control or tts but it works. I used Helibots rsmalarmclockV2 with a recurring alarm every few seconds and a custom .sh using screenshot by helibot to make a jpeg and mount the sd rw and place the image into the web folder. Then once the web server is running I can browse to the page that refreshes every few seconds with a new image. take a look! *snip*
Note: this is completely wireless!

That just makes me giggle like a little child. I have got to acquire some xbees and wireless-ify my media. Heck, I need to just spend any time at all with my media, wireless or otherwise.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

OK now check this out, using cgi RSM can talk from a web page! Pure talent from Helibot.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi all,
This is awesome.....I have always wanted to get a webserver on RSMedia. It will allow an amazing amount of new things to be done. And since "webs" webserver has CGI-bin and .asp support it should be possible to (fairly) easily integrate it to control other parts of RSMedia.

I reckon a very cool one would be a Juke box - RSMedia webserver could serve webpages showing lists of the songs in the SD Music directory. Then from the webbrowser you could make a playlist and get RSMedia to play the selected songs!!

Cheers
Helibot

Shai Alyt NEMO
Shai Alyt NEMO's picture

Congratulations to Helibot,FreddyA and others involved!
It's really "a giant leap for mankind"!

(I'm just sorry for not having enough time to participate...)

To FreddyA: What kind of hardware you use for "wireless serial hack" (some bluetooth- or wi-fi- to-serial adapter, I guess)?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Shai Alyt NEMO, for my serial hack I used maxstream xbee radios, one basic and one pro so theoretically I should have at least 3/4 mile range, a long stretch beyond bluetooth or wi-fi. In the near future we will have a upgrade ready that will include the radios, RSM Manager and many more hardware/software features. A V3 kit for RSM and RSV2! And don't be sorry at all, keep updated and jump in to participate whenever possible!

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Freddy and Shai Alyt NEMO,
Freddy, you should mention that your wireless radios only worked to 57600bps (not 115200 which is RSMedia default). So although its working (and for a long distance!!) it wont be as fast as other wireless radio devices. And the speed may become important if anyone is doing lots over the serial/PPP link!!
Maybe its time to start another thread and survey everyone to see what wireless serial devices have been successfully used.
Cheers
Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Yes, xbee has difficulty with some processors at 115200 so right now it is set at 57600 baud rate thanks Helibot for making that setspeed program for me that sets RSM to 57600 8 n 1. I have yet to figure out how change the RSM to send 2 stop bits, to be 115200 8 n 2 stop bits instead of the default 115200 8 n 1. This would make the radio work just fine at top speed!

Helibot, can the setspeed program be changed to set RSM to 115200 8 n 2? I also believe to have read in the documentation for xbee that a higher baud rate could be used (after firmware update) Can RSM be set to higher than 115200?

As far as the thread that sounds good, so far I think the only wireless serial hacks are the bluetooth with a short 30 foot range and the xbee basic with 300 meter range and xbee pro with 1 mile range. have you seen other wireless hacks?