Battery problem solution a discovery?

74 posts / 0 new
Last post
jlee
jlee's picture

Hi chris75,

Finally I have time to replace my battery and adapter to 9V at this year, but didn't see good improvement. My Rovio only can run almost 25 minutes.

Could you please tell me the spec of D4 diode? like what's the number on the D4 diode? I want to buy it to solder on.

Thanks a lot!

jlee
jlee's picture

Hi Chris75,

I checked the D3 diode is IN4001, is D4 the same with D3?

Thanks

chris75
chris75's picture

Hi,
Need to open the rovio to check.

I'll tell you asap.

Bye
Chris.

chris75
chris75's picture

Hi,

just checked, this is not easy to read but looks like D3/D4 are same and are standard 1N4001.
I measured a voltage drop of 0.56V on both so any silicon diode for low current are probably ok.

Hope this helps.
Chris

jlee
jlee's picture

Hi Chris75,

Thanks for your information, I bought a 1N4001 then soldered it on. It's running charging, but my Rovio just auto-shutdown when charging.

I am not a electronic guy, so I don't know how to check the 1N4001's healthy. I have multimeter but don't know how to check it.

I have a stupid question to the picture of your comment in first page: Did your picture captured _BEFORE_ your changed or _AFTER_.

Thanks a lot!

chris75
chris75's picture

Hi,
picture here is before fix:
http://hackaday.com/2011/01/07/fixing-the-rovio-battery-charging-circuit/
So should be reversed.

Diode symbol is a triangle with a bar and the bar should correspond to the grey ring on the diode itself.

Also when Rovio is deeply discharged , charger chip has troubles charging so eventually undock/redock if leds get solid blue (it thinks it is charged) but you think it's too short time to be really charged.

HTH.
Chris

jlee
jlee's picture

Hi Chris75,

Thanks for your teach, I found the line on printed circuit bwteen D3 and D4 diode broken by me when I removed the short. That's why my Rovio auto-shutdown when charging.

Then I wired the D3 and D4 diode, looks fixed auto-shutdown issue. I got a 1.64
voltage drop with D3 and D4, and the battery start charging at before. Unfortunately, my Rovio didn't get any improvement by D4 diode, the performance is as before.

I used 5 AA NiMH battery by series connection, the capability is 2000 mAh. I am buying a bigger Rovio battery, hope it's better.

Thanks

jlee
jlee's picture

Hi Chris75,

I bought a 5000mAh 6V battery, looks much better. I need wait the battery power recover after rolling a far distance or used the headlight, but so far the new battery works fine.

I have user powermeter to check the voltage of new battery when it's full changed by Rovio through 8.v 2.65A official power adapter, the voltage only 6.85V of this battery pack but not 7.0V (1.4*5).

Does your battery can always charged to more then 7.0V by 9.V 3A adapter?

Thanks a lot!

chris75
chris75's picture

Hi,

just measured battery after charging, it's 6.98V, if i dock / undock to force overcharge it wont go over 7V but it will start heating quite a lot which is a sign battery is full.
Theoretical voltage is 1.25 so going to 1.4 per element looks like a maximum.

HTH.
Chris

Darkstar1975
Darkstar1975's picture

Hi,

i have the same problem with the Rovio battery charging circuit. i found out that on the Rovio battery charging circuit the Q6 SMD Transistor is missing. Can someone say me if there musst be an SMD Transistor under D5?

MfG
Darkstar

chris75
chris75's picture

Darkstar,
there are a few Hires images here:
http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/14360/Inside-Rovio/?page=2

Maybe you can locate components that may be missing on yours.

Chris

broadhead1966
broadhead1966's picture

Hi,Could you add an schematic, please?Thanks

NickJallday
NickJallday's picture

Thanks for the information on the diode!Anyone have any Idea what the rating on the L1 Inductor next to the 1W0R5J Resistor is? I'm assuming a 10uH magnetic 6mmx8mm magentic core based on the schematics?

Pages