Control RS Media from your PC with RS Media Manager

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vader
Vader's picture
Control RS Media from your PC with RS Media Manager

For the past 2 months (with some big breaks in between), I have been working on an application named RS Media Manager. Right now it's limited to the "Live Control" section. It allows you to control most of RS Media's functions and even take a video, photo or audio recording, as well as tell him to track a certain color, all from a PC.

More info on the final release here: http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/16842/RS-Media-Manager-Coming-Soon/

If you'd like to test it out, just get it from the downloads section.

Feel free to drop in your thoughts (and problems) into the comments.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Vader, I had a chance to check out your scaled down Developer Release today, what a treat! It's definitely a good taste of what is to come. Thanks for posting it and showing us a glimpse of the future for RSMM. A couple of notes on this limited live control. The tts is a no go, and the color tracking stops immediately so I figure it needs a timer like the audio and video recording. On another note, the config file is quite simple and easy so I was able to change the com port there to connect. Is it possible to put the settings in the UI such as where you have a drop down list for com port and baud rate? Overall it's great work! Great job. I'm fortunate to have been able to test a few of the features here and to have seen the work in progress for the full blown version.

Freddy

Vader
Vader's picture

Just a note about the Text to Speech: It uses flite and expects it to be located at "/Application/flite_rsm_1.3/flite_rsm_1.3" (without the quotes).

It's quite possible to put the COM Port and Baud Rate settings in the UI, but it requires extra work which I don't really want to implement in this version, since I am rewriting it in a different programming language.

Vader
Vader's picture

FreddyA - You were right, the color tracking does seem to need a timer.
I've just updated the download, that version should fix the issue.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

For faster and easier downloads, this has been posted in the RoboCommunity downloads section here:

http://www.robocommunity.com/download/17372/RS-Media-Manager/

Vader, it is credited to you, so you can go in anytime and upload new files as the program is updated.

Cheers!

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hey Vader, yes that worked, tracks for about 15 seconds or so, nice.
Freddy

The Cylon
The Cylon's picture

Maybe this is the new competition for RS Media
http://www.robotshop.com/professional-humanoid-dev-platforms.html

its only about $17,0000 and does not have many more feaures than our own RS MEDIA.

Vader
Vader's picture

For all of you that don't have the serial hack going on your RS Media, you can use a combination of Helibot's USB Console and HW VSP to use RS Media Manager to control him.
Once you have set up and started the USB Console on your RS Media, open up usb2tcp and HW VSP on your computer. On the HW VSP window, click the "Virtual Serial Port" tab and enter any port from COM1 - COM99 in the Port Name box, "127.0.0.1" (without quotes) into the IP Adress box, and 222 into the Port box next to the ":".
Now you have done all of that, just change rsmm.ini to use the COM port you specified. Baud rate shouldn't matter.
Here's an example:
[COMConnect]
Port=COM7
BaudRate=115200

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

What development system did you use to create this? Would you be interested in swapping some source code? I created my RS Media Macro Editor in VB6 but the next version will probably be in .Net. I would also like to add some remote control functionality. Ideally I would like it to use serial (either RS232 hard wire or Bluetooth), USB, or IR via the WowWee Robo Remote. So I have been watching Helibot's developments waiting till it is far enough to incorporate into my project. Anyway, contact me if you are interested.

Added: I guess I should have looked at the download thread before I sent this. I have downloaded the AutoIt code. But I am still interested in either a cooperative effort or a code swap when you get the .Net version. And of course I would give you credit in the Help About section for anything I use.