RS Media Head Stuck Down :( Please help!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jamie
Jamie's picture
RS Media Head Stuck Down :( Please help!

Hello all,

I already typed it out, and it took me about an hour, but when i tried to insert a picture it refreshed the page and removed my work (boooo!) I'm not going to type it out again, I'll just put it in short form.

My RS Media has a problem. When I was moving the head to the left, it jammed up and the motors were still going. I opened him up and saw no problems, so I turned him on with his cover off lying on the ground. The head went back to its normal position. I put the cover on thinking it was fixed, and all worked except when I tried to move the head up it just went 'RRR RRR CLICK RR CLICK RRR' so I panicked and hit the power button.
I then opened him up (for the second time now) and saw absolutely NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! Very strange. Pictures are below. Please help if possible. I'll have to use my server to upload the files, RoboCommunity upload says 'Error during upload' so if the system admin could fix it, that would be handy for other people!

Pictures are in the next comment!

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Jamie,
I have had a problem with my neck motors as well, so I have played with the mechanisms a bit. Things to try:-
- If you power him up again - check if his hands still close when the head goes left/right (the motors operate the head and the hand grips)If the grips still move then the motors are OK and the problem is likely in the neck mechanism. If the hands dont move then the problem is likely in the motor and hand mechanism.
- Lift the springs off - they are actally quite hard and stiff. After that I think you can try sliding the mechanism left and right - its actually quite hard but will move.You can also disengage the motor to allow you to try moving it better (I think the motor is the one on the RHS in your first and last photos.)
- Check the parts that go upto the head very carefully (they are a cream colour (instead of white?)- look for cracks anything that may have popped out of position.
Cheers
Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Jamie, good news! Since the head moves left and right then that mechanism is ok, the problem is in the up and down (yours is stuck down) I thought the shaft was broken but I can see in the picture that it is NOT. I see that the position of the tab on the motor shaft is all the way forward and it is pushing the spring down. Normal position is aligned with the neck tab and so I would say that there was a slip inside the gear box. 

The only way to get it back in position without forcing and breaking it would be to open the gear box. By removing the back cover, and the motor boards then you will have access to the screws holding the motor and gear box. Here is a picture of the gear box opened up and you can see its not too complicated. You can see the broken shaft there, but like I said yours appears to be intact.

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello all,

Today at about 11:00am, I conducted MAJOR robosurgery - It ended at about 4:00pm...

If it weren't for the wonderful FreddyA, who helped my constantly all day (probably quite late in the USA, but in the day at AUS) my RS Media wouldn't be here with a fixed head that actually moves!

FreddyA gave me step-by-step instructions over MSN on how to fix my RS Media, and it worked very good, but it was complicated setup. We both streamed each others webcams over MSN while we talked about how to do the robosurgery.

I was very brave today while doing the surgery, I would never, ever take my RS Media apart unless really necessary. But I have infact taken the back plate behind the neck off before todo my XBee serial hack (which is another great thing about FreddyA, as he told me how todo the hack!)

The surgery ended up working VERY BRILLIANTLY!
So a very HUGE thanks to FreddyA for getting it to work, FreddyA, you should be proud!
Also, thanks to Helibot who gave some feedback! That was very much appreciated!
My RS Media is all working now, I have tested it throughly and it seems to work brilliant!

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Sorry to miss out on the fun with this one. I could have fixed my hip problem while helping out here. Oh well, When I repair my hip I'll post step by step instructions on what happened.

Jax