iRovio iPad/iPhone App Now Available!

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff N
Jeff N's picture
iRovio iPad/iPhone App Now Available!

*UPDATE*
iRovio for iphone is now available in all iTunes app stores! Finally a fully functional Rovio control app for the iphone/ipad and ipod touch! Here is a quick summary:

EXCLUSIVE FEATURES:
•Optimized 8-direction virtual joystick for full strafing support.
•Full Multitouch support allows you to take turns and change camera angles while strafing for maneuverability unmatched by even the web interface!
•Status Bar - Displays Navigation, Wifi and Battery strengths and Docked indicator!
•Multiple turning options: 'Tap To Turn 20 Degrees' and 'Hold To Turn'.
•Swipe up or down on the video stream to change camera angles.
•Advanced Options to fine tune the video resolution, framerate and brightness to any connection quality!
•One handed portrait and landscape driving modes. Don't like the heads-up-display? Just shake to fullscreen!
•Manage an unlimited number or Rovios or have different Rovio configurations, one to use while at home and one for when you're away!

•OTHER FEATURES: Go Home, Save New Home, Save Image to Photos, Email Photo, Stop, Headlight

Hello RoboCommunity,
I am new here, but not new to the robotics community. I am developing a full-featured iPad/iPhone app for controlling Rovio's over WiFi or 3G. I plan on supporting all the features missing from the current iPhone app that exists, including fine-tuned camera and turning control as well as changing network settings on the Rovio.

However I am here for any suggestions you all might have for the User Interface, or features/functions you would like to see. Please let me know what would make your Rovio easier to use from your iPad and what bothers you about other softwares?

P.S. How many RoboCommunity members have/plan on purchasing an iPad? and do you have multiple Rovio's you'd like to control or fast switch between?

Many thanks for everyone's response, I will let you know the progress!
Jeff

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

I have an iPad and love it. A full functioning Rovio app would be very useful to me!

Robert Silver
Robert Silver's picture

I have an iPad and find native Safari is not a good interface for the Rovio.

Jeff N
Jeff N's picture

I was quite disappointed when I saw the Rovio web interface load the mobile version on the iPad's Safari as well. Not too usable. No offense to the developer of the Rovio Driver app, but that app left me wanting a lot more in terms of reliable control and advanced features. As a student developer I started working on both an iPhone and iPad Rovio control app. I am personally a fan of the full featured web interface and hope to mimic its functionality as much as possible.

Do you like the features on the full web interface? Anything you would change or make available?

Unfortunately platform incompatibilities make 2-way audio a no go.

Robert Silver
Robert Silver's picture

Jeff N said: I was quite disappointed when I saw the Rovio web interface load the mobile version on the iPad's Safari as well. Not too usable. No offense to the developer of the Rovio Driver app, but that app left me wanting a lot more in terms of reliable control and advanced features. As a student developer I started working on both an iPhone and iPad Rovio control app. I am personally a fan of the full featured web interface and hope to mimic its functionality as much as possible. Do you like the features on the full web interface? Anything you would change or make available? Unfortunately platform incompatibilities make 2-way audio a no go.

The issue with the iPad full Safari browser is that you don't have the ability to use the joystick function that you have in Firefox or IE.  Also I found that many of the buttons would disppear after use.  This may be a refresh issue.  Don't klnow.  So I found that control of the Rovio was hindered.  Actually the iPhone interface while small is more trust worthly.

Jeff N
Jeff N's picture

**UPDATE**

iPhone version is almost done, I have forked development into a single universal app for both the iPhone and iPad, taking advantage of each devices unique capabilities. Buy it once and run it on all your devices! I am targeting the end of May for general release, please let me know if anyone would like to test the beta application for me and I can get you setup with a copy in a few weeks!

Untraumatized
Untraumatized's picture

Hey Jeff! I would love to beta test your app for you. I don't have a test account or anything and I am not a developer but my iPhone (I have a 3gs and 3g) is jailbroken. Please get back to me my email is untraumatized@yahoo.com

I was also wondering if audio will work AT ALL? Or is incomming and outgoing audio impossible?

solidfunk
solidfunk's picture

Oh my god i have the ipad!!!

Rovio and Ipad are brilliant together on safari you get the full screen non of this rubbish with the arrows. its just like being on a pc except you can not drag and move rovio around!!

The big screen is perfect its easy to look at and look around the room with out straining your eyes! The rovio app works perfect the tilt function using the ipads accelemeter works great no lag like iphone and it does not just randomly drive into things. Ipad is brilliant yes its alot like a giant iphone but its great.

Untraumatized
Untraumatized's picture

Ok this app is AMAZING! It puts the current rovio app to SHAME!

I have used Jeffs app through 3g from 100 miles away from my house and it worked perfectly! better than the Rovio Driver app does through local wifi!!! And when i use it through wifi it's faster than using it on Internet explorer and firefox. The app supports multitouch and the joystick works like a charm (unlike that Rovio Driver piece of trash that can't even turn right... It only turns left and the joystick on it doesn't even work! Even on local wifi...)

there's a ton of features that jeffs app supports that the Rovio Driver app DOESNT and jeffs app acctually works! I'm sure it will be a 5 star app unlike the 2 star Rovio Driver. And I suggest if you have a rovio, ditch the Rovio Driver app (if you haven't already like most of us) and get jeffs! It will be out soon.

if you want a reliable way to access your rovio(s) than jeffs app is definitely for you!

paulo64fr
paulo64fr's picture

Hey Jeff!
I would love to be beta tester for your application , i am a french user of rovio but I am not a developer .
My iphone is a 3g , jailbroken.
Please get back to me my email is paulo64fr@hotmail.fr

Ted
Ted's picture

I have seen Jeff's app and let me just say that I will definitely be buying it. Can't wait!

-Ted

Sparrow
Sparrow's picture

Can we see some pics or a short video. Do you have a name for it? Give us some "proof" of existence:D pls.

Jeff N
Jeff N's picture

*UPDATE*
iRovio v1.0 has awesome reviews in the App Store! Just wait until you see the v1.1 update. It will have full iPad universal build and iOS 4 multitasking, as well as give you FULL command of your Rovio. When I say full... I mean FULL. :)

cyborg
cyborg's picture

Good stuff. Got mine already. Pretty handy navigation system, I can even park Rovio effortlessly. Good job, keep it coming.

Ted
Ted's picture

The app is a must have especially since the Rovio currently costs around $160. An extra $2.00 to give the Rovio the functionality from a mobile device (and actually have the app work, unlike the piece of &^$#* Rovio Driver) is awesome and a must have for people who already own the Rovio.

Russ
Russ's picture

Hey Jeff, I was wondering if there was any news on your 1.1 update. I can't wait! I'm digging the current version, it works very well, but can't wait for the native iPad version :-) 2X mode works OK, but... well... you know... Ha!!

The Junk Monger
The Junk Monger's picture

My Rovio has been stuck in Miami for ages can't wait till I get it sent to try your app, already bought it but hoping the native iPad version will be out before my rovio arrives.

Russ
Russ's picture

Does anyone have the ability to contact Jeff?

Jeff N
Jeff N's picture

Hey Russ, and everyone else! Sorry I have been absent for awhile, I am just finishing up the last semester of my Undergraduate education and have had to work on a few other large projects including my graduation capstone.

I wanted to release iRovio v1.1 months ago, but I was not happy with one or two more features, so it kept getting delayed as I squeezed in more requests and features. I will have my other projects done by the end of the year and hope to have iRovio 1.1 cleaned up for an early January release.

The new features from v1.0 will include:
• Universal all for iPhone/iPad with retina display support
• MORE VIDEO OPTIONS: Auto-Gain Control and Multi-Sampling, both for extended low light viewing
• Full path management: create new paths and playback existing paths
• Full user management: create/delete users, change passwords, enable/disable User Authentication
• Blue light management: selectively turn off the exterior blue lights
• Auto fullscreen in landscape orientation

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

Jeff

Russ
Russ's picture

Hello Jeff,

Fantastic news!! Thanks for checking in :-) Can't wait for the update!!

Robert Silver
Robert Silver's picture

Sounds great! Really looking forward to this update Jeff. You will be adding all that I would want. Please post on the board when it is ready.

systemdm
systemdm's picture

Great program...How about adding more camera positions or incremental vertical movements of the camera.

systemdm
systemdm's picture

Great program...How about adding more camera positions or incremental vertical movements of the camera.

Manuel Quinaz
Manuel Quinaz's picture

Hi Jeff,
Congratulations, great app... With this app my Rovio reborn! I wasn't using because of access limitations, now I keep using it. It's fast, and works just fine... Only missing the 2-way sound! Maybe you can push woowee to change the firmware... or develope one yourself!
Thanks for your app.

Manuel Quinaz
Manuel Quinaz's picture

When will the update be available?

Manuel Quinaz
Manuel Quinaz's picture

Hi Jeff! I'm ansious to get the new version... Isn't finished yet? Two way voice still impossible, even with facetime, skype, viber and etc new functionalities?!
Thank you

SadRobot
SadRobot's picture

Where did the app go? I just had to restore my crashed iPhone and can no longer find the iRovio app in the app store :-(

F
F's picture

SadRobot - if you synced your iDevice to iTunes prior to the crash, the iRovio app should be within your iTunes library to simply install back to your iPhone regardless of whether the app is still available in the App Store or not.

Whereas for people like me only just thinking about Rovio, unless the app reappears I'm going to miss out on iRovio. Anyone any idea if it's going to come back in the store or what other iOS compatible app to use if I do go ahead and buy one?

ASJBR
ASJBR's picture

anyone know why irovio is no longer available in the app store? or hoe to get it?
Regards,
ar

F
F's picture

ASJBR said: anyone know why irovio is no longer available in the app store? or hoe to get it? Regards, ar

Without it being in the App Store the only way you could install it is if you have a jailbroken device. 

Anon
Anon's picture

I really need this app and don't seem to have a backup I can use anymore (new laptop, and a recently reset iPad). My iPad is JBed, so is there anyway I can get something that would allow me to reinstall this from somewhere? This was the best iOS driver by far.

Edit: Looks like I need a .ipa file for this, to install it. Anyone have one to share? The other iOS apps are really doing my head in.

Pages