Extra Linux commands/tools for RSMedia

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Helibot
Helibot's picture
Extra Linux commands/tools for RSMedia

Hi all,

Awhile ago I found a heap of linux admin tools that should work on RSMedia. They are already compiled and available in the Freescale BSP.  Not sure how many of you will be interested in this......but here goes anyway....

Many of you are probably aware of the BSP (board support package) from Freescale - Its still available from here. Its already included in the Redhat 7.3 Virtual Machine often used for RSMedia development.

Anyway this software comes with a prebuilt root filesystem (intended to be used for the Motorola MX1 ADS boards). The path is  .../LINUX_BSP_0_3_8/mx1_rel_0.3.8/Rootdisk/rt.cramfs.  But the files in this image can also run on RSMedia.  A lot of the files are the same as what is in RSMedia, but there are a whole lot more that are extra :-)

So how do we see and use them?

To see them we can use the Redhat7.3 linux virtual machine to mount the image as a extra drive. Like this:-

#mkdir /mnt/cram

#mount -t cramfs -o loop /home/vm_user/BSP/MX1/mx1_rel_0.3.8/Rootdisk/rt.cramfs /mnt/cram

#ls /mnt/cram
bin bitmap dev drivers etc home lib linuxrc lock mnt proc qt root sbin test
tmp usr var web

#ls /mnt/cram/sbin  
addgroup adduser  adjtimex apm cardctl cardmgr chroot delgroup deluser depmod
dump_cis dumpe2fs e2fsck fsck.minix ftl_check ftl_format ftpcd ftpget ftphost ftpll
ftpls ftpmget ftpput ftppwd getty halt ide_info ifconfig ifport ifuser inetd init insmod iwconfig iwevent iwgetid wlist iwpriv iwspy klogd ldconfig lsmod makedevs mke2fs mkfs.minix mkswap modinfo modprobe pack_cis passwd pcic_probe pcinitrd portmap poweroff qftp reboot rmmod route sulogin swapoff swapon syslogd telnet telnetd tinylogin update utelnetd webs

The last command above lists the tools available in the /mnt/cram/sbin directory. As you can see there are LOTS of extra tools there (Items underlined are the ones already in RSMedia -  the rest are new!). There will also be more tools in /usr/bin!!

So you copy the files to RSMedia and it will likely execute OK!! (You should be able to copy them to the SD card and run them from there via the serial console, USB console or even a script.)

But before you get too excited -
*Some of them are softlinks to '/bin/busybox' - so they wont work on RSMedia.
*Some may require config files in /etc (but /etc is Read Only in RSMedia)
*Some may need libraries or other dependencies that are not in RSMeida.

But many will work just fine - like telnet and telnetd (FreddyA and I used them to test networking using ppp over serial).
There are a lot of commands related to networking (eg ftp, ftpd, telnet,webs etc) These will be useful if we (hopefully) get USBNetworking going for RSMeida.

To find out what each of the commands do you can usually type man in the Redhat virtual machine , or you can google them.

Finially a disclaimer - I think you are pretty safe to experiment with any of these commands - its hard to break any thing on RSMedia (cos all the important files are on readonly partitions! if problems happen just reboot and you are back to working) But thats just my opnion - if you go messing with linux admin commands you could possibly do some damage. Definitely read up on the commands before you try any!!

Cheers
   Helibot

TikaC
TikaC's picture

Hey, could you post this in our RS Media Dev Kit Wiki somewhere? Maybe start a new thread/topic? This would be very useful info!

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Tika,
Yep I will add this to the RSMDevkit as well. Good idea.

BTW I also just noticed that the image also has a version of gdbserver. gdbserver is the program that can be run on a target , then a PC could connect to it and give debbugging commands. So it maybe possible todo debugging/single step of programs over USB or serial using this. I have added it to my 'things to test' list.....

Cheers
Helibot

TikaC
TikaC's picture

That would be awesome to have a debugger added to the dev kit! Let us know how you do on that one.