Networking over serial with Webserver and Telnet

133 posts / 0 new
Last post
Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi everyone. Just a question, on the Firmware Dump PDF page it asks if i have a pre-existing Linux setup. I don't think i have one (or do I)

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

The part of the document you are reading is if you are using a linux setup to do the firmware dup but you are not. You can proceed with the firmware dump if you want to have a backup of the old firmware, there is a downoad for that. I've skipped this part before but its all up to you.

Freddy

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi FreddyA, I have done the firmware backup but now i am trying to do a backup of the Java Password File. But everytime i write the first line, it comes up with incorrect file name or invalid directory. and I cannot get pass this.
I need the password for line 10 in what i need to do.
Curtainmaker

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi curtainmaker, are you at this part?

Enter these from the USBconsole or Serial console.

#/bin/mount /dev/mmc /mnt/sd -o rw,remount
#mkdir /mnt/sd/rsdump
#cp /pw/wowwee_emjava_id /mnt/sd/rsdump
#sync

if so yull need a SD card in the robot so it will copy there
Freddy

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi FreddyA, Yes I am and i have tried 2 different sd card in the bot. 1 was the one that i used to dump the firmware on then i transfered the firmware onto my computer hard drive and formated the sd card and reinserted it and strarted up the robot. that didn't work in entering the above lines so i inserted the sd card i use to access gerbers console program and still came up with the same error when i type in the first command line and it enter.
Curtainmaker

Vader
Vader's picture

Make sure you don't include the #'s when you type the command.

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Vader. no i don't cause when i push enter in putty the # always starts on the next line. I start off with /bin/mount..........
Curtainmaker

Vader
Vader's picture

Try this:
mount /dev/mmc /mnt/sd -o rw,remount

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi guys, this is a screen shot of what i get.
Hi Vader, I shall try what you suggested
Regards Curtainmaker

Vader
Vader's picture

Ahh, I see what's happening now. You've missed the spaces between /bin/mount /dev/mmc and /mnt/sd.

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Vader and gerber, Thanks i will try it with gaps this time as the printout was small and also my glasses are obviously not strong enough.
can you also help, I was reading the steps in bed last night and I just want to confirm before i start. First I plug in the robot into the serial port and turn the robot on. (number 2)
then on 3.1 Plug the USB cable into the robot and the PC. A new "Removable Disk" will appear on the PC
Now is this the USB port that came with the robot.
I am assuming that the serial port usb is the upgrade window for me to reprogram the robot thru.
Then 5.1 - Reboot the ADS and be ready to press a key when you see.
What is the ADS... (is this the robot or Remote)
Cheers Curtainmaker

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Curtainmaker

> First I plug in the robot into the serial port and turn the robot on. (number 2)
then on 3.1 Plug the USB cable into the robot and the PC. A new "Removable Disk" will appear on the PC

You use the serial hack and to start with and when it gets to 3.1 you use the standard mini usb cable that came with the bot. This is so you can transfer the file to the bot when needed.

>Then 5.1 - Reboot the ADS and be ready to press a key when you see.
What is the ADS... (is this the robot or Remote)

I can't actually remember as I did mine back in december or january I think. I am sure it is turning off and back on the bot.(But someone else may need to confirm this)

Cheers
Gerber

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Yes that is what i interperate too but with comments as that doing the wrong thing could be Bad then i need to be sure.
Curtainmaker

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi curtainmaker, yes, when it says reboot the ads that is basicly rebooting the robot and be ready for the 3 seconds it gives you to enter boot menu. So you will do that more than once.

Freddy

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Thanks freddy , will have to go and try it cause I ve backed up everything now.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Curtainmaker,
>First I plug in the robot into the serial port and turn the robot on. (number 2)
>then on 3.1 Plug the USB cable into the robot and the PC. A new "Removable Disk"
>will appear on the PC
Yes you will have the serial port connected, then at step three you also connect the the USB cable from the robot to the PC. (This is done because the files we need to put on the robot are very big and would take a long time to transfer by serial port!!)

>Then 5.1 - Reboot the ADS and be ready to press a key when you see.
>What is the ADS... (is this the robot or Remote)
In this case the ADS means the robot.
FYI -ADS stands for Advanced Development System - It is a development board for the arm processor, it is created by Motorola. The RSMedia Media board was designed from the ADS, so many of the tools and software that run on the ADS also work for RSMedia.
Cheers
Helibot

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Helibot, thanks for that, it has cleared that matter up, but I think I will jump off a bridge, cause evertime I move onto the next step I get Issues and I don't know why.
After Plugging in the bot with the serial port and Press 0 to choose “Program Bootloader’. You should see

Initialize USB drive.
USB drive ready for transfer.

I plug in the USB cable to the Bot and computer, I get USB not recognised
and I don't see any new drives that show up in My computer.
I am going to try again with this laptop as I used to have more luck when I used gerbers program with just the usb cable.
Curtainmaker

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

hi helibot, ive done the first step but it doesn't come up with the same as your script. can i carry onto number 4.1
curtainmaker

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

hi curtainmker, you will start with the usbserial cable and get to the boot options, there your selection will ask to connect the usb cord (second usb cord) to the robot mini usb. then wait a few seconds for the usb drive to be set up. go to my computer and yuo will see the new drive. put the file needed and continue to the next reboot, same process again with the next boot option indicated.. So you will have 2 usb cords attached. first one to get to the console, second one to put the files on sd. Hope that helps

Vader
Vader's picture

That looks fine according to the Upgrade_log.txt file.I just took a look at the upgrade guide and it actually has the output for the kernel reflash listed under step 3 as opposed to the bootloader reflash output.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Curtainmaker,
Yes , it is fine, restart the robot and check for the 16Mb in the text.
(Vader is correct , the text I listed in the html instructions is the output when teh kernel is flashed (not when the bootloader is flashed). So I should revise that for the next version of the docs. Thanx for spotting that Vader :-)

BTW When getting cscreen shots try pressing ALT+PRINTSCREEN it will capture just the active window not the whole screen (So the picture is smaller to upload and easier for others to read :-)

Cheers
Helibot

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi helibot, thanks for that, I know that ctrl-prtsc worked. Well just to fill you guys in on what happened in the dark places of my office when i went and started the V2 conversion to my poor old V1 robot that no longer exists. The operatiobn went slowly and piece by piece i did the steps on the white sheets of paper. It was very nerve racking and the tension was felt all over the room as to will i end up with a working robot again or just another boat anchor. Well the after marth of all the Great help that yous have helped me with, i can tell you now that I am not keen on going through that again.... But I now have a new V2 RS Media that works.
I have tried the Java games - Yes
Tried the Web Server - Yes
It is now into adulthood.

Thanks very much everybody -
Great Program Helibot
Curtainmaker & V2

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey Curtainmaker,
Well done, glad you got through it OK. It is a bit nerve wrecking the first time!! But you will find it easy next time (not that I hoipoe you have todo it again - maybe if you buy another bot!!)
And note that flashing the bootloader is really the only dangerous thing, all the other areas can just be flashed again if they dont work :-)

If you found any other errors in the docs then send me a PM and I will fix them in another version (so the next person can have a smoother upgrade!!)

Cheers
Helibot

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Helibot, Yep the only other thing i came across was number 10.
10.1 Copy the files & directory ‘/rsupdate’ to the root directory of the SD Card (ideally it should be the SDCard that was used for the firmware_dump in step 1 above. There is one file needed from the backup process – please check that the file /rsdump/wowwee_emjava_id is present on the sdcard.)

10.2 Boot the robot, you should see these messages be displayed on the RSMedia LCD.
Fixing /lnk
Fixing /pw
remaking pw
copying to pw
Password
Installed
Finish Updating...
Please restart
the system.

When itÂ’s finished reboot the robot.
Well I put this on the Sd card and then plugged it into the bot. The bot started up in its new splash screen, that has the loading bar a the bottom, and when it got full, the screen stayed as it was and 20 minutes later it was still in that state. His eyes were still constantly lit ( he was just frozen )
I switched him off and unplugged the sd card and switched him back on again. he started as per his new normal (Splash screen Bright and Volume on high) and booted ok. I then went to a java game and it loaded and started and everthing else seemed quite normal. I also checked he had the USB link on his options which it did.
So today I have been playing with getting the web server to work on Mozilla without the web connected, and it seem to work ok. Can txt to speech and Track human, Just need more time to play with my new found friend.
Otherwise apart from the start and finish of your upgrade it went as you said.

Thanks Curtainmaker

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Congrats Curtainmaker, you did real good by hanging in there till you got it done. Also great to read you are keeping on trucking with experimenting on the web server. What ideas do you have that we could be privileged to know about?
Freddy

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Freddy, I don't have a lot of Ideas, I don't know how to program but would like to learn. I just a self employed curtain, track, and blind installer that ownes a curtainmaking business. I just like toys and like to get the most if not more out of them.
What i do like is that the bot could do stuff on the internet and read things to me. I find the controller hard to remember so I want to make having fun with the Robot fun and easier. If I can help in anyway don't worry i will.
let me be your ginea pig
curtainmaker

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hey curtainmaker, I agree about the controller, so huge it should have an lcd on it with video instructions to justify it. We are lucky there??s a few talented programmers here making rapid progress and creating some awesome stuff. Soon enough we will have the RSM chat bot for I.M., reading tweets, emails and maybe even streaming media content. A lot has come out of this networking thread, just recently ftp and that is some good stuff there. Here we are all ginea pigs so let??s get on with the experiments and testing.

Keep it up.
Freddy

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi curtainmaker

Excellent, Another v2 bot has now joined the forces. Well done.

Good news is I have almost finished my RSM teminal console which will be ready for the weekend. Just got to make some documentation, Make an SD card image and a few fine tweak and then itÂ’s ready for the forum.

Cheers
Gerber

Pages