21 posts / 0 new
Last post
FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
Broken Gears

Hello, I have some broken gears,  this one is from the neck up and down;

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Nice snap FreddyA. I'll get right on it and post what I am doing here after I see my pain doctor and get my handicap sticker for my truck today..

Jax

ps. I thought you had more than one gear??

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Oh yeah I do GWJax, I have to open the bots up to take pictures. I cant find the ones had taken when I tried to super glue the teeth back in haha.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Here is another two  broken ones from the foot gears, these are outside te foot gear box. There are also a couple of ones inside the foot gear box (no pics of those yet)

GWJax
GWJax's picture

FreddyA said: Oh yeah I do GWJax, I have to open the bots up to take pictures. I cant find the ones had taken when I tried to super glue the teeth back in haha.

LOL, Super Glue and nylon grears don't play together very well as you found out. You would have been better off just to melt them back together.

How many gears do you have broken? The molds are going to cost me a pretty penny to make if I make one per gear which I almost did. I'm glad you posted these as well so I can build them in one mold. I'll wait until I see all the gears you need before I start to pour the silicone rubber for the master mold.

Jax

idrum289
idrum289's picture

I'm sure Freddy and a lot of other people agree with me when I say "You are gem!" GW.

:D

GWJax
GWJax's picture

idrum289 said: I'm sure Freddy and a lot of other people agree with me when I say "You are gem!" GW. :D

idrum why do you say that???

Jax

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Bugger! So much for proof reading. "You are a gem". I was supposed to type, "You are a gem" Meaning you are a most valuable member of this community etc.
It's late, I'm old.....

GWJax
GWJax's picture

LOL Thanks idrum!! So does that mean that I get a prize.. LMAO
Jax

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
OK Jax, sorry about that, I would want to make it cost effective. I surely appreciate your work and agree with idrum289 100% A Priceless Gem. I'll take the pictures. To speed things up I can let you know they are all the blue ones inside the gear box for the foot and same goes for the back gear box that does lean side to side. Then there's these two neck and body center pieces. I don't know if something like those can be done.

Oops, also this leg gear just above this line, at the bottom left corner of the picture that attaches to the leg gearbox. dang that's a lot of broken pieces.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

How neat would it be to cast iron and make a metal chasis and gearboxes, transplant the electronics and motors.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Holy crap Freddy!! Did you run over the RSM with your car or did the RSM think it was Superman and try to fly but failed.. :)

I guess I need to rip down my RSM for all of these parts since I'm building another bot for you LOL.. Hope you have a fat wallet to reproduce these. The cost is really only in the silicon rubber and time because the plastic is free from bottles and other misc trash plastics. I will have to make multiple mods for all of this and it will take some time to do. Once the molds are complete then making the items will be a snap. This will be a very good training course for those who want to know about molding.

The other parts you need in the photos above should not be a problem I hope but will let you know once I remove them from the RSM.

Jax

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

HAHA they have definitely been past stress levels when performing. Stunt robots that double and take the hard hits. In reality the Robisapien V2 has mostly the same parts. In fact I have successfully transplanted the entire top torso and hands among other critical parts to my frankomedia. The neck and foot gear box parts are for V2 and they are equivalent. So tell me Jax, what would you say the cost factor for material and time vs buying a parts robots or two? Agreed that having the mold made of each part of the robot would increase the lifecycle of the RS Media. I for one am all about keeping the RS Media robot race alive, I guess that's why I was wondering about a more durable longer lasting chassis and gearboxes that I would look into for a possible investment.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Well when casting the parts you first have to make a negative cast of the part it's self in the form of the finished mold in silicon then from that mold you make a positive master cast mold of that item. Once this is complete your ready to make the Ultr-Cal30 stone casting mold. These are for only a limited amount of casts and are very cheap to reproduce, about ~30 cents per mold, these molds are disposable because they will chip after a few uses but there are ways around this to get more use out of them. As for the cost of these molds, it depends on how much silicon rubber is used and what brand you are using. The silicon I use has 0% shrinkage which is needed for making gears and I just checked on the amount that I have and I do not have enough, so I'll order another gallon for my self.

The cost is going to be in the range of about ~$100.00 USD for all the parts. Once the Silicon molds are complete which is the bulk of the price, you can make as many parts as you need with limited funds.

I looked at the torso plate on the V2 and this is different from the RSM but the rest of the parts are the same.

How many sets did you want or need and do you want the molds for these as well? If you do want the molds we can discuss the price for them via PM. Please be advised that you will need or make a plastic mold injection machine for these and know how to make a casting mold.

Making that parts out of metal can be done but will require more tools and a different molding process which would be more to reproduce. Not only that but will also make the RSM heaver and put a strain on the motors and circuit which they are not rated for this type of weight.

Let me know if you want me to continue.

Jax

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Ok Jax, don't continue. At this point I will get a parts bot and invest in molds at a later date to set up a refurbishing lab and possibly experimenting with metal and higher torque same size and voltage motors. I'm looking forward to the write up if you do end up doing that. Thanks for all the info.

Freddy

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Ok I changed my mind, I'll arrange with you for two of each part. PM me with payment details if that limited number of parts is something we can workout.
Freddy

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OK Freddy I'll order the silicon to get it on the way. Once I get the parts layed out I'll be able to see how many molds are needed and will shoot you a price. I'll also start posting some procedures as well on how this is done.

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

@Freddy, I just done a little research and found that if I use RTV silicone I can use the mold to produce Tin or Pewter parts rather than plastic if that is what you want to use for a stronger gear or neck attachment. The RTV Silicone that I am using is Alumilite Quick-Set from www.alumilite.com One pound of this RTV kit is $30.00. I have about 1/4 pound left in my stock so I can produce the first gear that you showed using it. I can pour it in LEAD to show you how it will look and then have you decide if you want them poured in TIN or PEWTER rather than Plastic.

More up dates are coming soon on making a mold.

Jax

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

GWJax, I'll have to rely on your expertise on this. In my ignorance I would think I'd need to replace ALL the gears with the same materials. My train of thought is stronger gears would chew up the weaker plastic around them.. But then if the entire gearbox was tin then that would be hard core! So I'll blindly rely on the materials you decide to use.

Freddy

GWJax
GWJax's picture

@Freddy,

I have a question on the neck center piece that you have broken. Do you want me to make both pieces on the broken center rod connector and also do you need the other center connector shown in the photo that is not broken?

I am about to make the molds for these parts and if you don't need all of those parts I won't make the mold for them. One of the parts that I know you need on these connectors will be a 3 piece mold. So I'll start with this one since it is the most complicated one to make. I'll post photos once I have them.

Jax

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Jax, atm just the broken one in the picture and the bone that turns the head side to side slave to the hands. Although it doesnt appear broken on the picture, it is. Looking forward to your write up and pictures.

Freddy