Wrex the dog mod

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
ElectronicsGenius
ElectronicsGenius's picture
Wrex the dog mod

i got a wrex today and thought it would be nice to have a mod that wakes him up after a while (closes the start button switch) then types the reset code in for you after a while too to clear malfunction mode. 

has anyone ever heard of any wrex mods like this or know a way to turn off the malfuction feature?

'I told myself not to do that right before i did it'

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I don't have the Wrex but would love it.. As of your mod, this has crossed my mind on many of the WowWee bots that need a boost to keep it going. The only one I had done was with the Elvis Alive remote to keep him in the alive mode and to select a few songs and comments. This was done using a MCU and programming it to send the data streams to its IR RX module.

I'd love to see how you will pull this off and how to tell if he is in the malfunction mode.

Jax

ElectronicsGenius

GWJax said: I don't have the Wrex but would love it.. As of your mod, this has crossed my mind on many of the WowWee bots that need a boost to keep it going. The only one I had done was with the Elvis Alive remote to keep him in the alive mode and to select a few songs and comments. This was done using a MCU and programming it to send the data streams to its IR RX module. I'd love to see how you will pull this off and how to tell if he is in the malfunction mode. Jax

i have only had him for a day but it seems that after 10 or 15 minutes, he will always shut down or go into malfunction mode... (sounds like me)

i was thinking just a 555 chip (set reeeal slow) and a small relay could do a power interupt . this will reset the malfunction. Then after a minute or 2 he starts himself up. Even if he wasnt in malfunction he would be in sleep mode.

after playing around with it, seems a 20 minute power glitch would give me what i want and also work for the V2 and quad. using the other side of a dpdt relay would reset the chip and turn it back on... in theory

i cant rememer can a 555 be set so slow?

'btw.. is theory a country or a planet? i need to go there, everything works so well there :P'

GWJax
GWJax's picture

ElectronicsGenius said:

GWJax said: I don't have the Wrex but would love it.. As of your mod, this has crossed my mind on many of the WowWee bots that need a boost to keep it going. The only one I had done was with the Elvis Alive remote to keep him in the alive mode and to select a few songs and comments. This was done using a MCU and programming it to send the data streams to its IR RX module. I'd love to see how you will pull this off and how to tell if he is in the malfunction mode. Jax

i have only had him for a day but it seems that after 10 or 15 minutes, he will always shut down or go into malfunction mode... (sounds like me) i was thinking just a 555 chip (set reeeal slow) and a small relay could do a power interupt . this will reset the malfunction. Then after a minute or 2 he starts himself up. Even if he wasnt in malfunction he would be in sleep mode. after playing around with it, seems a 20 minute power glitch would give me what i want and also work for the V2 and quad. using the other side of a dpdt relay would reset the chip and turn it back on... in theory i cant rememer can a 555 be set so slow? 'btw.. is theory a country or a planet? i need to go there, everything works so well there :P'

Yes the 555 timer can be use in a cascading monostable multivibrator circuit. Instead of using a bunch of 555 chips you can use the 558 which contains 4 separate 555 chips in one package.

Jax

ElectronicsGenius

GWJax said:

ElectronicsGenius said:

i have only had him for a day but it seems that after 10 or 15 minutes, he will always shut down or go into malfunction mode... (sounds like me) i was thinking just a 555 chip (set reeeal slow) and a small relay could do a power interupt . this will reset the malfunction. Then after a minute or 2 he starts himself up. Even if he wasnt in malfunction he would be in sleep mode. after playing around with it, seems a 20 minute power glitch would give me what i want and also work for the V2 and quad. using the other side of a dpdt relay would reset the chip and turn it back on... in theory i cant rememer can a 555 be set so slow? 'btw.. is theory a country or a planet? i need to go there, everything works so well there :P'

Yes the 555 timer can be use in a cascading monostable multivibrator circuit. Instead of using a bunch of 555 chips you can use the 558 which contains 4 separate 555 chips in one package. Jax

how about filling a capacitor real slow with a resistor that makes a transistor dump power into the relay?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Charging a capacitor happens very fast so this won't work unless you know something that I don't. By making a timer circuit will work but then using this will turn off the power and reset the Wrex at the given set time no matter if you are still playing with it, you still don't have any control at all. What I would do is connect up a MCU that can keep the Wrex awake and reset the malfunction codes when detected. Since I don't own a Wrex I really can not tell you how to make the connections for this mod.

BTW theory is a planet ;) I love to visit it when all else fails.

Jax

ElectronicsGenius

GWJax said: Charging a capacitor happens very fast so this won't work unless you know something that I don't. By making a timer circuit will work but then using this will turn off the power and reset the Wrex at the given set time no matter if you are still playing with it, you still don't have any control at all. What I would do is connect up a MCU that can keep the Wrex awake and reset the malfunction codes when detected. Since I don't own a Wrex I really can not tell you how to make the connections for this mod. BTW theory is a planet ;) I love to visit it when all else fails. Jax

i used the RC time constant standard formula (τ = R × C) calculator in my program and it came up with 1100 seconds if i use a 100k resistor and a 2200 uf capacitor. but it will also require a hard for me to find component called "enthusiasm" to build it... im gonna have to get some somewhere hehe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_time_constant

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OK just using an RC circuit will not work. For one you will need some high value components plus the cap is going to be very large that it would be hard to find a place for it in the Wrex. You are also forgetting that once power is applied to the RC circuit it makes a short circuit first with DC then it starts to charge so without filtering this would trigger your circuit at power up every time. I'm not sure where you came up with 1100 sec giving your RC values. Maybe you can show me this because I'm getting only 3.666 sec. I am trying to think of a reliable circuit just using the RC circuit but am having trouble with that.

Jax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

If your heart is set on low-tech (simpler than a 555 counter), you could always hijack a low rpm motor from a clock, and fashion a cam activated reset button press by riding on the appropriate gear of the clockworks.

Clocks run months on a single AA, so the power requirement would be minimal.

If you didn't want to use a cam, you could use a magnetic reed switch and a small magnet on a gear that swings by to trigger the switch every few minutes.

Definitely old school, and probably less reliable than a simple IC timer circuit.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

MrScott where have you been buddy??? Good to have you back on the forums.. I like the idea of a clock or gearbox motor with low RPMs.. I guess he has plenty to think about now..:)

Jax

ElectronicsGenius

well poop. im gonna have to start over i guess. Jax keeps using physics and logic to shoot down my design ideas. i wanted this to work without physics or logic :P im starting to think about the little digital kitchen timer i have, its pretty small. but i also remember hooking up a 555 and tweeking with a pot to make it pop at a real slow rate through a speaker.. gonna do a little more research.

i found a 4060 design here: http://www.reuk.co.uk/Timer-Circuits-With-4060B.htm

a timer which energises a relay after a preset time has elapsed. It can be set to time an interval from 30 seconds to 24 hours.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I like this schematic but one question.. Hows the circuit going to press the rest button by it's self to unlatch the relay and start the counting again?? Sorry if I keep making you run into trouble but that's what I'm here for to look for flaws. :)

I think you need to look into a MCU for this and to keep it simple.. You could use a Basic Stamp 2 from Parallax or any other chip that you would like to learn programming with.

Jax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

What the world has come to.
When keeping it simple with regards to a periodic switch closure means getting a micro-computer controller up and running.

What ever did we do before micro-controllers?

It doesn't sound like a timer is even required for this mod.

The dog already has a timer. It's what is already shutting the robot down.

Isn't there a power circuit that goes quiet when the pooch shuts down?
Wouldn't a simple trigger bouncing the power circuit every time sleep mode starts get the job done?

Tap into the "I'm on" circuit, route it to an inverter, and have the inverter trigger the "wake up" line pulse. Whenever the "I'm on" drops, the "Wake_Up" rises.

I'm_Awake -----|>o--------Wake_Up

To isolate the wake_up signal from the inverter, have the inverter trigger a solid state relay, or put current to windings around a normally open reed switch. Then use the relay/reed to bounce the Wake_up button.

I'm_Awake-----|>o------coil/relay----/\/\/\---GND

If you want a short pause between the robot shutdown, and wake-up pulse kicking it again, that's where you use the analog RC circuit to delay the kick-it pulse for a fraction of a second.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Correct MrScott that would be a good trigger to use. Since I don't have the Wrex to find the trigger points let's hope ElectronicsGenius can find these and post these points. But yet I think it might be a software setting on the sleep mode thou that it just stops the sensors form working until it receives a IR command for STOP on the remote or the pressing of a button on Wrex. If this is the case then there will be no trigger point on the boards. The Tri-Bot, Rovor, V2, Elvis, Chimp all uses software switching so I assume the Wrex is the same but you know what they say about assuming...

Jax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I don't have the little pooch, either.
It's all hearsay (or heresy) for me, too.

My understanding was that at some point the dog goes quiet and you had to physically cycle the power to wake it up again. That's pretty typical with WowWee bots that have sat idle and shut themselves down. If you ignore them too long, they shut down as a power saving feature, and a double tap of the power button is needed to power it up again.

If the robot's electronics are off, and needs a power pulse (turn it off, then on again) to wake it up, then I'm betting there's a logic signal that's dropped low in the mix someplace.

Perhaps the power to the IR receiver would be a good starting point for the hunt of a signal that drops when it shuts down. If the robot goes blind to its remote signals in this sleep mode, that's a good clue that the receiver circuit has lost power.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Dropping a signal low to a pin on the CPU could set it to shutdown mode. If he can find this pin then you could just add a trickle to that pin using a cap that has been charged earlier so that when the power is shut off it loses the charging on the cap and provides a small power source to trigger a relay connected to the power switch thus acting like it just turned off/on the power switch. Nothing like a little bit of brain storming..

Better yet just monitor the IR sensor like you said in the above post and use this as your shutdown pin source to trigger the cap and relay.

Jax

ElectronicsGenius

i just kinda wanted to be able to let Wrex run around my warehouse without breaking down and stopping or sleeping, i also thought if i had a little solar panel on him to glitch the power switch, it could reset him after about 20 or 30 min and wake him up but i would like him to go into "roam mode" again but if not, at least he would be back on... doing his "silly" stuff.

i am going to have to come back to this project...i just got a bunch of i-cybies off ebay (3 good 3 bad) and sort quit messing with Wrex for now while i learn and try to get them going. One works great and i like it!

if anyone needs a i-cybie part let me know..

thanks for all the help!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I'll take a broken one or 2 off your hands as long as it has all the parts to it..

Jax