Two Media Boards, Which one is V2? No one is V2 [HD photos]

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
some1l8
some1l8's picture
Two Media Boards, Which one is V2? No one is V2 [HD photos]

Original post

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17944/-Solved-HELP-RS-Media-stuck-at-WowWee-splash-video/

HD photos of two Media Boards

http://cid-739b1fd18b07b5f5.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/RS%20Media

Left one is working

Red handwriting V2

Serial port hacked? looks like pins were fatory soldered

Right one is faulty

Black handwriting 9.21a

Some chips are different

Questions are

Which one is v2?

What are the differency between these V1 and V2?

Apart from Media Board, what are the diffecency between v1 and v2 RSM robot?

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hello Some1I8,
>What are the differency between these V1 and V2?
Actually I think you have two V1 boards!.
I think the red writing is actually a tick not a 'V'. (My media board has similar red marking and was definitely a V1 board.)
(BTW I dont think that Wowwee ever called them RSMedia 'V1' and 'V2'. I think us hackers started calling them 'V1' and 'V2'.

>Apart from Media Board, what are the diffecency between v1 and v2 RSM robot?
As far as I have worked out the V1 and V2 hardware is mostly the same. But the software is quite different. (This is supported by the fact that we can now upgrade a V1 robot with V2 software and everything runs OK.)
But having said that I think I found that the V2 robot media board may have more RAM than the V1. I will have to go back and search my notes for more details. So there maybe a different markings on the ram chips?

Looking at your photos, I guess that they are both HW version because the circuit board marking (which are in white text) have the same date (the '2006-07-18' in the middle of the board) and the "RJCP8-94V-0". My V1 RSM media board also had exactly the same marking.
Also I guess that they were made only 1 month apart because the batch code codes are "06 32" and "06 36". (the 06 is porbably 2006 and the '32' is probably week 32 and '36' is probably week 36. (BTW my V1 RSM board has '06 40' )

Cheers
Helibot

some1l8
some1l8's picture

Thanks, I thought I have a 'v2'. Never mind, one of them is live now.
It looks like being 'serial port hacked' from factory.