rsmedia USB Cable

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
stedy1
stedy1's picture
rsmedia USB Cable

Is the USB cable a standard cable or is it specific the rs media?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Stedy1, welcome to the forum. The RSM uses a standard USB cable. Have you had your RSM long?

Freddy

stedy1
stedy1's picture

Hey Freddy, I do not have it yet. It is being shipped from England. What I was trying to learn was if the USB was a straight cable or does it have the inline filter? like a camera cable does. Do you have any V2 experience with the wiring syndrome?? I tried rewiring my "parts" V2 which had only eyes light up. After several hours and 20 wire splices same stuff. Didn't find any signs of shorts, but I guess PCB part has gone bad. Any Ideas?? I am not that electronically savoy buy I am persistent. Thanx for your reply

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi stedy1, I have done the RSV2 rewire in some areas. I'd check for burned components on the boards if you have already re-checked all the connections and solder points. And in regards to the USB cable, I've used other ones other than the original and they all have the inline filter. Congrats on your RSM, will you be doing any hacks to it?

Freddy

red6161
red6161's picture

Hi I have tested usb cables that have filters and ones that dont found out thay all work but some times you might need a powered hub when sending info to your computer or from your computer to your RS. I had to do this to make my RS work right

RICK

stedy1
stedy1's picture

Hi Thanks to all for the much needed info. Freddy, I am currently on assignment away from my home and do not have all the necessary equipment for proper testing. My wire repair consisted of cutting any and all wires back past the brittle insulation conditions and splicing in a piece to a small pigtail left on the connector and completing the job with heat shrink tubing. I thought there may be a sure next step component check relative to the damaged wire shorting condition. I do not even know if I am getting power to the main board from the 9 volt array I am getting power to the eye LED's and assumed that power is coming form the "AA" Brain batteries. Am I correct?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi stedy1, on the RSV2 I think it would be the red and white plugs on the motor board check to see if voltage reaches there from the batterys. Yes the main board runs of 6v from the AAAs.

Freddy

stedy1
stedy1's picture

Hi Guys My RS just arrived and is working real good!! Red you mentioned a power hub for the power supply when I link with the computer interface. I have looked for a 7.5 dc 3.1 amp unit with no luck What are you guys using?
Can't trouble shoot the V2 yet Freddy, My tools are still back at my home.
Again thanx for everyone's efforts
Stedy1

stedy1
stedy1's picture

Hi again!! Just going thru some old threads and found that someone is using a 7.5 3.0 amp power supply but , also read that this could be a problem Is this so? Stedy1

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi stedy1, I can tell you what I've plugged in to the RSM. I've been using a 7V 1amp for about a year on a RSM that acts as my bed side alarm and does several actions durring the day. Another I have on a 6v 2.5amps that I use daily for mods and hacks, the lower voltage allows the RSM to walk (sluggish) even though it is plugged in. I've also plugged in a 9v ?amps for a few hours here and there but I wouldnt go any higher in voltage. Idealy I'm searching for a 7v 3amps that should allow walking at a normal level. I know of someone that uses a 6v 3amp and it walks too. So at your own risk, anything 6v to 9v will power RSM.

Freddy

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Stedy1

I am using Variable mains adapter below

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48908

I run at 6v and am able to get full body movement from the robot including walk (This was all thanks to freddyA advising me about this) I used to run it on 7.5v but doing this only allowed upper body movement which is pretty boring. I am planning to make a removable rechargeable battery pack sometime in the near future (The idea for this came after freddyA showed me his rechargeable unit he made for his RS media). I will be doing this mod after I have finished working on the other mods I am currently working on for the RS media.

I recommend you add the serial hack to your RS media I did with the help of the forum and it works much better than the standard USB cable. I am in the process of making mine wireless and I am going to update the firmware eventually so I can do file transfers easliy in the RS Media Control Station software I am writing.

Good luck on get the RV2 working

Gerber

stedy1
stedy1's picture

Hi Gerber, your running 6v at what amperage? You would think higher voltage would power the RS more especially since that is the speced voltage.
Concerning the serial hack, I am taking small steps first, and hopefully will get there down the road Thanx, Stedy1

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Stedy

The adapter I am using 6v is at 3.6amps. It also has the following voltages:

5v at 3.6amps, 6v at 3.6amps 7.5v at 3.6amps, 9v at 3.1amps, 12v at 2.3amps & 15v at 1.9amps.

It is great to find another newby to the Rs media. I have only started doing things with the RSmedia since the middle of september after I contacted the forum about my daughter broken robot. Even thou we had the robot for 3 years I had never really player or done much with it and didn't know what it was actually capable of, but basically in the last month this is what I've done and learnt with the help of everyone from the forum:

1)I've learnt to disasemble and reassemble the RSM.
2)I've learnt How to connect the robot via the standard USB cable
3)I've installed the serial hack (this is not as as hard as it first sounds and before I did this I new hardly anything about electronics)
3)I have written some custom software to control the robot from the PC which is now on the second release(you can down load this from the the following link if you want to try it out. You don't even have to have you RSmedia connected to the PC to use it. Here is the link for the software.

http://www.robocommunity.com/download/18033/RS-Media-Control-Station/;jsessionid=52306E7B13759549FA0B29B518F5121F

also here is a link to the thread I started about the software

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/18008/-RS-Media-Control-Station-software/

I am currently working on improvig the software

4a) Last night I started working on some new software to make personalities for the robot automatically which I am hoping to have the 1st release of the software ready in a week or so. with the aid of the software I am also in the process of making a personality called Disco dave who will be a sort of 70's though back. The voice are computer generated but are convinsing and are very natural speaking.

4b) At the same time as the above project I am also make a motorised mouth which will fit infront of the robots face and will move (I have got all the parts and and in the process of laying out the board and assembling. I don't know how long it will take to do this but hopefully it be ready before christmas)

I have many other mods I want to do to the robot and software projects I want to do with the robot but it will all take time.

I don't know much about electronics but have learnt so much since speaking to the other members on the forum.

Do you think I have catch the RSmedi bug like other before me?

cheers

Gerber

stedy1
stedy1's picture

Hi Gerber, Good info. I have to get a power supply and a mini usb cable before I can go any further with the RS,because mine came with neither. Just finished trouble shooting a V2 "parts bot" that I spent hours re wiring the "crumbling wiring" syndrome in the upper body. With no appreciable results, I stripped down the legs and feet and found a similar condition on the power lead. I also found that 2 of the 4 screws that attach the leg structure to the foot pad, had stripped and were lying in the foot. I found slightly over sized screws and attached the structures back together. Having replaced and soldered the lead back, he fired up fine and seems to be in better physical condition then my mainstay V2. He still has one problem and it appears to have less light emitting from the right eye LED.
I want to do the vision recognition white light mod to help the V2 recognize color better but I need more info. I have learned that the best LED to use is 1100 mcd white, but at what voltage?? I also read that an inline resistor would prolong the life of the LED (necessary?). I need similar info for the LED eye repair regarding voltage and mcd.
I too am not very knowledgeable in electronics, but I am able to use meters and tools but all are at my home, which I will not be at for several more weeks.
If anyone knows these values I would greatly appreciate the info.
Keep up the good work Gerber, I will be on my RS soon and will monitor your progress. Thanx again to everyone,
Stedy1