Garcifer Repainted!

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
TikaC
TikaC's picture
Garcifer Repainted!

Here's a link to pictures:

http://bytebin.net/robotics/garcifer/robotrepaint/index.html

In reassembling him (he was sitting on the work table for months after being repainted as I hadn't had time to get it all put together), I seemed to have screwed up something in the cable connections. His LCD does not work at all (I think maybe the cable is now shot as I did kink it accidentally) and when he boots up, his movements are hesitant and pretty much all wrong. He does respond though to remote commands and sounds ok otherwise. Though he does NOT work on fresh batteries. He keeps saying the brain batteries need replacing so I had to use the A/C wall wart instead to boot him up and try testing him. So I have more work to do. Thing is, one of the torso screws got stripped and even my screw extractor tap didn't work on it. So it has to be drilled/cut out and a replacement found. This needs doing in order for me to be able to access the cables to fix it.

Due to health and other things that need doing, I won't have any time for awhile. It's just a hobby so some day I'll fix him up. When I'm ready, I'll probably post videos of how he's acting and see if I can get that one screw out and poke around to see if something can be fixed. Meanwhile, anyone know where I can get a replacement LCD cable just in case?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi TikaC, Garcifers paint job looks awesome! Great job. Hope you get that stubborn screw out, I've done it by using a drill in reverse with a bit for metal and plenty pressure, loosened and worked quick. Also I found the head ribbon cables on ebay so chances are that the LCD ribbon is also available. Next time I open a RSM I'll check the numbers and search for it.
Awesome job TikaC, will you be making a full Garcifer personality and bodycons for him?

Take care, get well soon and looking forward to the videos.

Freddy

TikaC
TikaC's picture

Thanks! :) I like the new black and gold look. I've got a screw extractor drill bit set and even that didn't work. :( So I will have to do it the hard way. I'll get it thought eventually. What do I look for exactly for ribbon cable? What is it called or what do I search for? Let me know when you find out. I also may be getting an RSM parts bot as one was offered to me via email so I will be working on that opportunity as well. At least, if I get that, I'll have a ribbon cable and proper screw! :)

Yes, I already have started work on a vocoder-based Cylon-sounding personality for Garcifer. I also have the hands for him still on Smokey (the V2 parts bot) and all the parts I need for the serial hack.

I'm working on organizing/cleaning out backup files and simplifying my online stuff right now so it might be awhile before videos are up of Garcifer. But I do plan to add more. Also I'm planning a reorganization of ByteBin and the robot lab to make things easier to get to and update. Once I get some other projects done here (hopefully by the end of the year) I will have more time after work for bot stuff. Hopefully then I can start making some real progress! :)

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi TikaC, Ribbon Cable AWM 20798 200mm is what the name was for the ones I got for the head board. Tomorrow I'll get the numbers off the ribbon and do a search and post what I find. Good to know a good person cares enough about a broken RSM and it will make it to someone that will value itmaybe even bring it back to full funcion!

Oh and have good news on the finger transplant, I went in again and was able to make the mod better and more easy to do. Still big thumb though, actully like it.

Freddy

TikaC
TikaC's picture

Awesome on all things! Having this info on the ribbon cable will sure be useful, too.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Nice job Tika!

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi TikaC, this is the number on the ribbon cable. e188165 awm 20798 80C 60v vw-1
a quick search on ebay turned out the same 12 pin cables used for the head board. The LCD ribbon I counted had 18 pins.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=awm&_kw=20798&_kw=80-c&_kw=60-v

Freddy

TikaC
TikaC's picture

Thank you! Muchly appreciated. Before I get one though I will be looking into seeing if I just don't have the cable plugged in good. Once I can verify for 100% that the cable is indeed shot, I'll look into the option of getting another cable.

Glad to see they are available! It's amazing what is available on eBay. I just recently bought a used replacement keyboard for my laptop because the one I had in there got worn out so bad some of the keys weren't working at all. Now I got a keyboard that actually works! :)

Maybe there's some more hope for Garcifer after all. :)

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Yep once you get that darn screw out! BTW just to clarify, the LCD uses 18 pin ribbon while the ones I found on ebay are 12 pin so a little more search is needed ;)But hopefully it's like you say, a loose connection. Also if you are finding that when you turn on RSM he hesitates in his movements and he is not doing the normal dance I'd advise taking off his front and back shell and arms, booting him up and after the motors stop then turn him off and reasemble him in the default position. As for the lLow battery check for corrosion on the contacts inside the deep AA holes. I found that to be a problem for me before. Hope is the last thing we lose.

Freddy

Freddy

TikaC
TikaC's picture

Thanks for the info. That's a good idea to reassemble him in the default position. I think I might have had a problem getting the arms right in the right default position when I was reassembling him.

There (shouldn't) be any corrosion in the AA holes because Garcifer was new in box when I got him. He only developed this problem after reassembly. Maybe I don't have something plugged in all the way right. I got to recheck all those cables I had to undo.