Neck Motor stuck

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Helibot
Helibot's picture
Neck Motor stuck

Hi all,

When experimenting with commands to move the rsmedia head up/down I think I have moved it too far and may have caused a problemYell.

I think I gave the command "/usr/bin/robot/scripts/MotorRel.sh 01 04 08" which made the head tilt all the way down but then the motor started straining and getting slower and slower.  I hit the power off button at this moment.

I then turned him back on again and his head didnt come back to center position, so I powered him down again.

So I think the motor tried to move the head past the end of the physical limits and has 'wound up' the gears. I expect that the mechanisims are under quite a bit of tension!!

When he is off I can see that the head is down and I cant manually move his head back  - it seems stuck down.

I didnt hear anything breaking , so I am hoping that it is still all OK (but just under tension).

Has anyone else seen this and have any suggestions on recovering it?

I guess the best (but longest) solution is to pull him apart and try to unbind the mechanism - maybe by pulling the motor out and letting the gears unwind?

I also thought about powering him up while lying down (to avoid the default startup movements) then use the remote todo 'head up' action. But not sure this is going to work. (So this will be quick to try but more risky!!)

What do you think? Whats best? Any other ideas?  I know a few of you have repaired broken necks before so may have a good idea on whats possible?

(BTW This is on my good RSMedia, My old RSMedia already has a broken neck (both up/down and left/right!!) which I havent tried fixing yet......I've been putting it off cos its such a big job to pulll it all down and repair the mechanics and elecrtonics...wish I had fixed the old one now - cos now I may have todo this to TWO robots :-(

(On the upside - if I do have to pull him apart I can then do the serial hack and the RSMV1-V2 upgrade)

Cheers
   Helibot

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Helibot,

Remember I had the same problem? You will have to pull him apart (And I mean strip him bare) until you get to the gearbox. Then unscrew the gearbox and move the motor back to normal position and screw the gearbox back on. Should work fine like mine did :)

Hope you get it working soon!

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Also just a PS to be very careful and not turn him on anymore, because you will strip the gears!

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Jamie,
Thanks very much for the guidence, looks like I will have to prepare the operating table and pull him to bits again! - 'we have the technology - we can rebuild him!'.
I did remember that you had neck problems - but I thought your had a broken part that you replaced!!
BTW Did you try removing the motor first - to see if the gear box would 'unwind' without the motor there? I'll probably try that first anyway...I reckon there a small chance this may fix it.

Cheers
Helibot

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Helibot,

First of all, I want to wish you all a Happy New Year!

I detached the gearbox from the motor and the gearbox unwound itself to release pressure. Make sure you move the gearbox shaft thing so that the head is in the middle.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey Guys,
I started the neck repair today. These steps were done:-
-removed the front/back over.
-removed the restraining tab and loosened the neck up/down motor. (This is the motor that is mounted vertically under RSMedia Left Arm).
- When motor was loosened the gears went whir and all the tension was released , the head now moved loosely in the up/down direction. Yeah!!!!
- Hoping he was now fixed I replaced the motor and carefully powered him up (still with front/rear covers off). I kept pressing stop while he booted (to prevent the default startup movements. Then turned eyses and ears off (using x and c keys). Then finially tried to tilt the head using the Arrow keys on RHS of the remote. Success - I can move the head up and down!!

But I am not sure I am getting full movement.
When I go back I can see the head moves all the way back (I suppose it tilts about 25degress backwards)
When I go forward I can see the head moves just past upright and doesnt go any further (so it moves about only 5 degress forward).
Is this normal? Or should it move further forward?

I guess I may have slipped something in the gearbox (where the position sensor is attached) so the sensor could be reporting that its further forward than it really is?
Can anyone comment if their RSMedia head goes more than 5 degrees forward?

Cheers
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Helibot

Hope the video below help

I tred a couple of the RS medias I have and the movement is the same on them all. I found that the head forward movement is not much but the head back is about 20 to 25 degrees.  hope this helps.

Cheers

Gerber

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Helibot,

I found that when I did my repair, I turned the gear shaft so the head was in the middle position. I was wrong when I did that because now it turns too far back and not enough forward!!! (Same as you) And the head is not as smooth as it used to be :( So pull him apart again and turn the gear shaft until the head is at the bottom.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber ,
Thanks for the video, I think yours looks about the same as mine does. Maybe yours looks forward /down a touch more than mine does. But if thats normal , then I am going to leave mine as it is , its close enough!!.

Hi Jamie,
I didnt actually pull the main gear box apart (I only pulled off the 1st gearbox (that the motor plugs into), not the gear box with the sensor connected. So I didnt actually adjust the gears in relation to the sensors....and since it looks like more work to pull the 2nd gearbox out, I've deceide to leave him as he is now.(Actually I couldnt see how to get the 2nd gearbox out with the shoulder joint still there?)

So now I will do the serial hack now , then put him back together - hopefully I will end up with my first fully working V2 RSMedia!!

Cheers
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Helibot

As you say it's probably best to leave it if the robots now working. I am in the middle of doing my first firmware upgrade on my RSM to v2 then I can look at doing file transferring to and from the robot.

Cheers
Gerber

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hi Gerber,

To do file transfer you will need to use ZModem. In order to use ZModem, you will need to write your own receiver program, and trust me it is NOT easy. There is very very limited documentation on it. Vader is currently trying to write a receiver for RSMM but is not having much luck because of limited documentation.

Hi Helibot,

The gearbox I got to was the one next to the neck. It is on the back side. I had to pull the robot apart until I could access it. Back shell removed, front shell removed and the 2 robot boards were left dangling around (wires attached, but you have to remove about 2 wires)
Then I detached the motor from the gearbox and let is spring back the tension. I forgot to wind it to the middle position! Check out my old thread here: http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17457/RS-Media-Head-Stuck-Down... I hope you get it working properly again!

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Jamie

I wrote a piece of software a couple of year ago to tranfers file back and forth to machinary at work which used ftp and telnet, hopefully I will be able to play around with this and be able to transfer the programs to and from the robot from that software but I will need to do some testing first.

I will let you know how I get on

Cheers
Gerber

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hi Gerber,

Sounds interesting! But the only downside is that everyone who uses your program must have an RSMv2 :-( I think ZModem is the only option for RSM though for those who only have an RSMv1. ZModem can also be used over the USB2TCP console Helibot made.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber,
Zmodem on the robot is easy, there is already zmtx andf zmrx executables available. As Jamie said Zmodem on the PC is harder (there doesnt seem to be many/any zmodem command line programs avaiable for DOS/Windows). There are zmodem clients built into some terminal programs (like TeraTerm) but these are not so useful to use from another program.
If you use RSMV2 and USBNetworking, then you can use FTP, TFTP and probably even WGET. Another advantage of this is that the transfer can run in parallel with other things (ie you could still do other commands to/from the robot while the transfer is happening.) Also useful if something goes wrong with the transfer- cos you can use telenet session to send a kill command to abort the transfer on RSMedia.
But as Jamie also said - USBNetworking will only work with RSMV2, so anyone with RSMV1 wont be able to use all features of your program.

Also Jamie said 'ZModem can also be used over the USB2TCP console Helibot made.' This is true but it is not as reliable or as fast as using it over serial. (This is caused beacuse the USB serial driver from Wowwee is not very good and I havent been able to make a better/faster one :-( ).
This also affects USBNetworking - the TCP/IP connections are slower over USB than they are over serial!!. USB should be much faster, but beacuse of the bad driver the USB transfers all run slower than the serial rate.
Cheers
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Helibot

All of the RSM robot I have are v1 at the moment but I am planning on upgrading 1 tonight using the instruction you made. FreddyA has been helping and advising me. Once I have done the upgrade I will look at the file transfer. The reason for using the FTP method is for being able to try and do live video streaming from the robot to the pc. However I will try and look at the ZModem method as well for those who have RSMv1.

I have the serial hack installed on 2 of the RSM but both are still on firmware version 1.

I have a couple of question before I start the upgrade though. In the instructions for the upgrade it says:

2. Start the bootloader menu
Connect the serial port to robot (115200 8N1) and power up the robot.

My 1st Question: I take it this is the serial hack and should this be plug into the computer as well as the robot at this point or should I be waiting until 3.1 to plug it into the pc?

3.1. Plug the USB cable into the robot and the PC. A new "Removable Disk" will appear on the PC (it may take awhile – up to 30 seconds?)

My 2nd Question: Is this the in built mini USB port of the RSM or are you saying to connect the serial hack to the USB on the PC?

My 3rd question: Should I only be using the serial hack or is the standard Mini USB built into the robot being used as well while doing the firmware upgrade.

Sorry if my questions sound a bit stupid but I just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly before I start the upgrade as I don’t want to break the robot.
(Please note: I have take the precaution of invested in incontinence underwear which I will be wearing while carrying out the upgrade just incase anything should go wrongEmbarassed. They are on a sale and return basis)

Cheers for any help in advance
Gerber

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi all

It's ok no need to answer the questions in my last post. I have now done the upgrade and have a robot working on firmware V2.  I now have the usbnet option.

Hip hip horaySmile.

The only thing I have left to do is step 10 of the instruction which are "10.Fix extra partitions" 

This seems to be causing me a little trouble 

I followed the instructions below :

10.1 Copy the files & directory ‘/rsupdate’  to the root directory of the SD Card (ideally it should be the SDCard that was used for the firmware_dump in step 1 above. There is one file needed from the backup process – please check that the file /rsdump/wowwee_emjava_id is present on the sdcard.)

The problem I am having is that the when I put the sd card in the robot with these file on it just stay on the loading screen. below are the command run in hyper terminal  with the sd card in.

• MXL Bootloader for RSmedia 16MB (2007-02-09) 
  • Manufacture ID:00C2
  • Device ID:22BA
  • Press any key for alternate boot-up options ... 00
  • Copying kernel from Nand Flash to RAM ...
  • Manu ID =000000EC  Device ID =00000076  Block count =00001000
  • block table:08FE9388
  • zone table:08EE9388
  • scan block finished
  • Booting kernel ...
  •  
  • Linux version 2.4.18-rmk5-mx1ads-p3 (sam@estechsolution.com) (gcc version 2.95.3 2001031
  • 5 (release)) #516 Wed Feb 14 16:36:08 HKT 2007
  • Processor: ARM/CIRRUS Arm920Tsid(wb) revision 0
  • Architecture: Motorola MX1ADS
  • On node 0 totalpages: 4096
  • zone(0): 4096 pages.
  • zone(1): 0 pages.
  • zone(2): 0 pages.
  • Kernel command line: root=fe01 ro mem=16M
  • Console: colour dummy device 80x30
  • Calibrating delay loop... 98.50 BogoMIPS
  • Memory: 16MB = 16MB total
  • Memory: 14688KB available (1023K code, 316K data, 60K init)
  • Dentry-cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
  • Inode-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
  • Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
  • Buffer-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
  • Page-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
  • POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
  • Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
  • Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
  • Initializing RT netlink socket
  • Starting kswapd
  • ttySA0 at I/O 0x206000 (irq = 29) is a MX1ADS
  • ttySA1 at I/O 0x207000 (irq = 23) is a MX1ADS
  • pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
  • DMA Initializing
  • block: 64 slots per queue, batch=16
  • PPP generic driver version 2.4.1
  • PPP Deflate Compression module registered
  • PPP BSD Compression module registered
  • SSFDC core support installed
  • MX1ADS nand I/O driver installed
  • SSFDC Partitions
  • nand0 : block 0x0000-0x0049 : "Kernel" 1184 KB direct map
  • nand1 : block 0x004a-0x0229 : "RootDisk" 7680 KB random map
  • nand2 : block 0x022a-0x04a9 : "DefaultDisk" 10240 KB random map
  • nand3 : block 0x04aa-0x0f5a : "UserDisk" 43792 KB random map
  • nand4 : block 0x0f5b-0x0f7a : "WritableDisk" 512 KB random map
  • nand5 : block 0x0f7b-0x0f9a : "PassDisk" 512 KB random map
  • MX1ADS nand flash partition definitions installed
  • NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
  • IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
  • IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
  • TCP: Hash tables configured (established 1024 bind 1024)
  • NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
  • NetWinder Floating Point Emulator V0.95 (c) 1998-1999 Rebel.com
  • found bad block 0x0 -> 0x24c, block status 0xff, data status 0x0
  • [ 00 00 00 00 00 ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ]
  • reserved: 0x00000000
  • data status: 0x00, block status: 0xff
  • addr1: 0x0000, addr2: 0x0000
  • ecc1: 0x00 0x00 0x00, ecc2: 0x00 0x00 0x00
  • VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly.
  • Freeing init memory: 60K
  • mx1ads_startup
  •  
  •  
  • BusyBox v0.60.5 (2005.11.28-10:41+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
  • Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
  •  
  • sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
  • init
  • Using /lib/modules/mx1ads_recycle_lcd.o
  • HD66770 Recycle LCD drivers 132x176 Version 0.1 installed
  • Using /lib/modules/mx1ads_video_capture_s5k53beb.o
  • MXL-ADS Video Capture Module initialized
  • Using /lib/modules/usb_disk.o
  • Call ssfdc_udisk_register_partition
  • Call usb_disk_register
  • USB Device mass storage interface installed
  • Using /lib/modules/mx1ads_mmc.o
  • Date : 2005/01/06
  • Register usb_mmc_disk complete
  • MMC disk driver initialized
  • Using /lib/modules/mx1ads_usbd.o
  • MX1ADS USB Device controller glue driver installed
  • EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
  • VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev ssfdc(254,5).
  • mount: Mounting /dev/nand5 on /pw failed: Invalid argument
  • mount: Mounting /dev/nand5 on /pw failed: Invalid argument
  • mkdir: Cannot create directory `/lnk/Java': File exists
  • mkdir: Cannot create directory `/lnk/Music': File exists
  • mkdir: Cannot create directory `/lnk/Personalities': File exists
  • mkdir: Cannot create directory `/lnk/Photo': File exists
  • mkdir: Cannot create directory `/lnk/Videos': File exists
  • ln: /lnk/Java/Default: File exists
  • ln: /lnk/Java/User: File exists
  • ln: /lnk/Music/Wowwee: File exists
  • ln: /lnk/Music/User: File exists
  • ln: /lnk/Personalities/Wowwee: File exists
  • ln: /lnk/Personalities/User: File exists
  • ln: /lnk/Photo/Wowwee: File exists
  • ln: /lnk/Photo/User: File exists
  • ln: /lnk/Videos/Wowwee: File exists
  • ln: /lnk/Videos/User: File exists
  • umount: /mnt/sd: Invalid argument
  • SD card exists!
  • Using /lib/modules/mx1ads_audio_cs42l51.o
  • Chip ID: 1b, Chip Revision: 0
  • MX1ADS : AC97 driver initialized.
  • Copying file for SD Update
  • #Running SD Update
  • /bin/sh
  • mount: Mounting /dev/mmc on /mnt/sd failed: Device or resource busy
  • : No such file or directory
  • mv: unable to rename `/mnt/sd/rsupdate/rsupdateapp': Invalid argument
  • /tmp/rsupdateapp: /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg: No such file or directory
  • mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
  •  --- No such file or directory
  •  
  • The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?
  •  failed: No such file or directory
  • /tmp/rsupdateapp: /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg: No such file or directory
  •  failed: No such file or directory
  • /tmp/rsupdateapp: 53: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")

In the instruction it says that the robot should display a number of messages on the screen then the robot will reboot. This doesn't happen it just stays on the loading screen.

If I remove the SD card it goes passed the loading screen on the robot and the robot works fine.

below is the "rsupdateapp" file do I need to change anything in it to get it to run?

• mount /dev/mmc /mnt/sd -o rw,remount
  • chmod 755 /mnt/sd/rsupdate/*
  •  
  • #move script to prevent second execution
  • mv /mnt/sd/rsupdate/rsupdateapp /mnt/sd/rsupdate/rsupdateapp.run
  •  
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg c "Fixing /lnk"
  •  
  • /bin/umount /lnk
  • /bin/mke2fs /dev/nand4
  • /bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand4 /lnk
  •  
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "Fixing /pw"
  •  
  • /bin/umount /pw
  • /bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand5 /pw
  •  
  • if [ $? -eq '0' ]; then
  • else
  •     /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "remaking pw"
  •     /bin/mke2fs /dev/nand5
  •     /bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand5 /pw
  • fi
  •  
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "copying to pw"
  • /bin/mount /dev/nand5 /pw -o rw,remount
  • if [ -f /mnt/sd/rsdump/wowwee_emjava_id ]
  • then
  •       #Copy password file saved during backup
  •       cp /mnt/sd/rsdump/wowwee_emjava_id /pw/wowwee_emjava_id
  • else
  •       #Otherwise copy the a default password file (it may work OK)
  •       cp /mnt/sd/rsupdate/wowwee_emjava_id /pw/wowwee_emjava_id
  • fi
  • sync
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/checkkey
  • if [ $? -eq '1' ]; then
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "Password "
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "Installed "
  • echo "Password Installed"
  • else
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "Password "
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "Failed "
  • echo "Password Failed"
  • fi
  •  
  • /bin/mount /dev/nand5 /pw -o ro,remount
  •  
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n " "
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "Finish Updating..."
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "Please restart"
  • /mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "the system."

Cheers in advance for any help
Gerber

Vader
Vader's picture

Hi gerber,

I had the exact same problem when upgrading my own bot to the v2 firmware. My guess is that RSM is choking on this part of the script:

if [ $? -eq '0' ]; then
else
/mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "remaking pw"
/bin/mke2fs /dev/nand5
/bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand5 /pw
fi

You could try changing it to this:

if [ $? -eq '1' ]; then
/mnt/sd/rsupdate/fb_msg n "remaking pw"
/bin/mke2fs /dev/nand5
fi

If that doesn't work for you, you could just execute the following commands from the script in the serial console (This is what I ended up doing):

/bin/umount /lnk/bin/mke2fs
/dev/nand4/bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand4 /lnk
/bin/umount /pw
/bin/mke2fs /dev/nand5
cp /mnt/sd/rsdump/wowwee_emjava_id /pw/wowwee_emjava_id (if you made a dump)
cp /mnt/sd/rsupdate/wowwee_emjava_id /pw/wowwee_emjava_id (if you didn't make a dump)
sync

After doing that, just reboot and everything should be there.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber and Vader,
Actually I just finished the upgrade of my second RSMV1 to RSMV2 and guess what - I had the same problem as well! (I used the zip file downloaded from Sourceforge.)
I tracked the problem down to the fact that the rsupdate script is saved with windows line termination instead of unix line termination. (I know, I know, I have written in many posts that people need to be careful about saving in Unix format......so I should have known better!!!)
If you resave the rsupdate script using Unix Line termination (by using an editor like notepad++) then it will run better. But it wont work properly because......
I also found that the /rsupdate/checkkey and /rsupdate/fb_msg programs are missing from the archive. (But they are included in the RSMV1ReloadFiles.zip or RSMV2ReloadFiles.zip archive- so you could copy themn from there).
I also found that some of the output listed in section 3.1 of the document is wrong (but it is correct in the update_log.txt file.)
So soon I will fix all these things in a UpgradeRSMV1toRSMV2_rev1.02.zip.

Final point - I found that using the /rsupdate/wowwee_emjava_id /pw/wowwee_emjava_id doesnt work for other robots (it only works for my original robot that I copied it from - so it is important todo the dumnp before the upgrade.) But even though the checkkey program fails the built in Java games still work? So I am not sure what the Java key is used for?
Cheers
Helibot

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber,
Also forgot to say that if you do the commands at the end of Vaders script from the command line it will also work OK!!
Cheers
Helibot

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi all,
My RSMedia is now back together , neck working, upgraded to RSMV2 and now has the serial hack. Thanks to you all for the comments and advice.

I tried using my Bluetooth module for him, but I cant get the module to work now (even when connected to the PC??). Will have go back over my old notes and try again later.
Next I will try the 'trackbot' program again :-)
Cheers
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi all

Helibot great news about you bot.

Cheers Vader and helibot for the help I will finish off the upgrade tonight.

I have another problem, I think Freddy is as well, basically i am using the robot on windows 7. I downloaded the web server from the thread below

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17709/Networking-over-serial-with-Webserver-and-Telnet/?highlight=rs+media+network

The problem I am having is that the instruction in the download are for windows xp. I spent about an hour last night try to get a network connection to the robot in windows 7 with no joy. Do you no how to do it the connection in windows 7?

Cheers
Gerber

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hello Gerber,
I havent tried PPP using Win7, but I do have a laptop with Win7 now, so I can give it a go soon. From a quick search of the net it seems the trouble is that Win7 doesnt easily support using a Comport, it seems to want to use installed modems. So we need to find a way to use a 'null modem'.
Cheers
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Helibot

Windows 7 is very good but it a pain when things have been moved around from XP. I know freddy has been trying to solve the problem as well, so hopefully one of us will find a solution soon or later. For the moment I will see if I can get the the robot to connect in a windows xp virtual machine which freddy suggested earlier to me as all my PC and laptop both have windows 7 installed on them and it a pitty to the upgrade to v2 firmware and then not to be able to use the usbnet feature.

Cheers
Gerber

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

I tried the first way you said vader , by editing the rsupdateapp file but still had the same problem where the robot froze on the booting screen, So I did the commands manaully as you said and I thinks it has worked. below is watch I did as per your instructions Vader:

• # /bin/umount /lnk/bin/mke2fs
    umount: /lnk/bin: No such file or directory
  • # /dev/nand4/bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand4 /lnk
    /dev/nand4/bin/mount: Not a directory
  • # /bin/umount /pw
    umount: /pw: Invalid argument
  • # /bin/mke2fs /dev/nand5
    mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
    ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/nand5 is
     mounted.
    Filesystem label=
    OS type: Linux
    Block size=1024 (log=0)
    Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
    64 inodes, 512 blocks
    25 blocks (4.88%) reserved for the super user
    First data block=1
    1 block group
    8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
    64 inodes per group
    Writing inode tables: done
    Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
  • # /bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand5 /pw
  • # cp /mnt/sd/rsdump/wowwee_emjava_id /pw/wowwee_emjava_id
  • # sync

Is the above correct?

If so yippee and thank Vader and helibot for the help. I don't know a lot about linx  and don't know what some of the commands do above, so I will have to swat up on linx and start to learn it. I am now going to have a play with network setup in a windows xp virtual machine.

Cheers

Gerber

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Gerber,

I can see that Vader has made some big mistakes in those commands.
Here are the correct commands:

/bin/umount /dev/nand4
/bin/mke2fs /dev/nand4
/bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand4 /lnk -o rw
/bin/umount /dev/nand5
/bin/mke2fs /dev/nand5
/bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand5 /pw -o rw
cp /mnt/sd/wowwee_emjava_id /pw/wowwee_emjava_id (Make sure you have the wowwee_emjava_id on the root of the SD Card)
sync

They should work just fine.

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

gerber
gerber's picture

Cheers for that Jamie

Will try it tomorrow and and do a screen dump for you to check I have done it correctly

what does the /bin/mke2fs do? I am stabbing in the dark but does it make as system file?

Cheers
Gerber

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Gerber,

The mke2fs command makes the /dev/nand4 (Or whatever partition you want) to a readable linux filesystem.

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber,
I have found out some more about setting up USB networing on Windows7. Please see this post in another thread for details:http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17709/Networking-over-serial-w...
Regards
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi all

Cheers Jamie for the code. Below is a screen dump of the serial console for all the command you gave. I think it has worked this time as there were no errors. Can you have a look and the screen dump below and check if it is ok.

# /bin/umount /dev/nand4
# /bin/mke2fs /dev/nand4
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/nand4 is
 mounted.
Filesystem label=
Block size=1024 (log=0)
64 inodes, 512 blocks
First data block=1
1 block group
64 inodes per group

# /bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand4 /lnk -o rw
# /bin/umount /dev/nand5
# /bin/mke2fs /dev/nand5
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/nand5 is
 mounted.
Filesystem label=
Block size=1024 (log=0)
64 inodes, 512 blocks
First data block=1
1 block group
64 inodes per group

# /bin/mount -t ext2 /dev/nand5 /pw -o rw
# cp /mnt/sd/wowwee_emjava_id /pw/wowwee_emjava_id
#

I am going to try the connect as per your instruction helibot to see if I can communicate to the RSM over the network. Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Gerber

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Gerber,

Great! Every command has worked! Now you are right with the RSMV2 Firmware. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

gerber
gerber's picture

That's great

Cheers Jamie for the help. I will keep this code for when I upgrade the other RSM's

cheers
Gerber