2 x RS media with serial hacks already added!!!!!!!

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
gerber
gerber's picture
2 x RS media with serial hacks already added!!!!!!!

Hi

I bought 2 RSM's from ebay just before christmas for a total price of £110 both in working order(one had a broken lcd scene which I have since replaced). I was just going to add a serial hack them both tonight and when I open the 1st up to my suprise it alreadt has the serial hack cable already solder. Below is a photo.

Am I luck or what?  Well thats not the end of it. I then open the other RSM which I bought at the same time and guess what, Yes the serial hack wires have been added to that one already as well. below is the photo.

That's amazing, how luck is that, it's save me a lot of work. I think going on how well the soldering is done on the hack and that both cables are identical this must have been done at the wowwee factory. Has anyone else opened there robot up to find the serial hack wiring is already done for you?

I have already ugraded one of my RSM's to Firmware 2 and have added the serial hack with both wired and wireless connection. Tonight I did the same setup on another bot other than the firmware upgrade which I will do shortly. I have put the bluetooth chip above the media board to the back and as it has and led on it I can see when it is powered up frombehind the bot. As you can't use both the wired and wireless chips at the same time to comunicate to the robot I have added a switch to cut power to the bluetooth chip which then allows me to connect via the USB-TTL module and communicate with the robot that way. Below are some pictures to show the of the mod have done.

Cheers
Gerber

Jamie
Jamie's picture

This is not a tutorial. And you are the last one to have a "special RS Media" as you can see here: http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/14979/RSMedia-Serial-Console/ back in 2008 :) Also, Nocturnal has done a WAY better hack, without a big cheap usb2serial converter hanging out, as he used a prop plug. The thread for a good hack is here: http://www.robocommunity.com/article/13016/Connecting-to-the-RS-Media-Li... But Nocturnals site is down so you can't get to his BT hack. But he used a super small BT module the size of a small aerial and a way better switch and cutout.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Jjamie

The USB-TTL chip is the one you advised me to order last september on MSN.

I have only added a port for the USB-TTL just incase I need to connect via hardwire which will be very rarely I hope. Other than that the port cannot be seen as it is behind the door for the other connection ports on the robot. I will only be using the bluetooth to connect to the robot as I am going to connect all 4 of the RSM's I have wirelessly and control them in my software so don't want the hassle of lots of cables.

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Freddy actually told you to get that, I advised you to get a Prop Plug

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi again Jamie

This isn't meant to be a tutorial I was just showing Cirtainmaker and donnie what I did with the serial hack I added. I will be putting a detailed tutorial on how I did this in the user manual for the next release of my software. I know there are already turtorials here on the forum for the serial hack. I am writing the tutorial into my software for anyone who wants to use it but it's primary use is as a reminder for me so I can remember how to do the same thing again at a later date if I ever get another bot.

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

hello :

Gerber: waiting 4 ur next software hopefully its soon :)!!
Jamie : i like ur site and u said something about ur software that i would really really love 2 have on my rs media, actually i bought the rs media thinking its already in it and its " Have speech recognition, facial recognition and object recognition " but i downloaded the modbot but i coudnt find that, little help plz when u got time !!

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Donnie

There is some things the bot can do like track colours and track humans. Unfortunately I don't think it has voice recognition. However in my software eventually you will be able to give voice command and the robot will do something like move a limb or play a song, but basically this will be done from my software on the PC and not be processed on the robot.

If you want to get your robot to copy your moves you could download Helibots COPYBOT from the download center which is a really cool app for the robot.
Here is the link.

http://www.robocommunity.com/download/18199/RSMedia-CopyBot/

My software is still in it's infancy but over the next couple of releases there will be loads of new features and enhancement. I can't give an exact time scale for the next release date but hopefully it will be ready by the end of March as long as I don't hit any stumbling blocks along the way. I will keep you posted with my progress.

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

hi Gerber :

well i c ur point and i got it now and about the copybot i already DL it and it really is pretty cool :)
anyway tnx again and waiting 4 ur next software !!

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hi Gerber,

Your software isn't the only software getting dev'ed at the moment, you just wait for the surprise ;)

Hi Donnie,

I've been trying to compile some object recognition programs with no luck. Maybe I could somehow use RSM's inbuilt detection. I have also started on voice recognition. I have found the right module that will listen to voice and send raw serial commands to the RSM. They were only ideas, ModBot is discontinued and only has the Java hack. Will keep you posted on more news :-)

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

hey Jamie :

well i really really hope u succeed coz voice recognition is really whats missing in rsm, actually i bought it and never thought it doesnt get it, it was a surprise 4 me only a bad one, i even told my self maybe i should buy the I-sobot coz i was about 2 buy it be4 i find out about the rsm, anyway best luck and wishes and hope u succeed :)), and i wish i can help so if u needed any help just try me although i don have much of experience in this field, just tell me wut 2 do and i'll do it :))

and thats 4 u 2 Gerber:
if u need help plz let me know, i really am in these stuff and appreciate u guys aloooooooot more than i can tell :)

bye now guys

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

On the weekend I added the serial hack with both wireless and wired to the other 3 remaining bots I have, which means I now have 4 completely wireless bots. I changed my hack a little from the original one in pictures above in the thread. I have now put the switch and external usb-ttl connector on the back of the robot under the hand grip instead of under the cover on the side of the bot. The connecter and switch are still hidden from sight. The reason I change the mod slightly is cause I didn't have to cut any holes in the robot which meant the overall hack took a lot less time to do and wasn't as fiddly to do. I took loads of pictures while doing the mod so in the next release of my software I hope to have full instructions on how to the same mod as I have done. Hopefully this will be helpful if other people want add the same serial hack as me.

Jamie> voice recognition on the bot with out doing any processing on the pc itself sound great. Can't wait to see it. When do you think this will be ready or is it still in the testing process?

I am going to work on the multi bot control in my software this week. I'll give further news on my progress later in the week.

Cheers
Gerber