Video Feed from RS Media to WEB Done

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
Video Feed from RS Media to WEB Done

A few months ago after posting this http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17709/Networking-over-serial-with-Webserver-and-Telnet/#47337 I modified the page to view 5 seconds of video at a time using the web server. I think if a webstreaming program running on rsm web server could be compiled and used to make a file recieve the stream from there to a browser. now i have to wait about 15-20 seconds to recieve the file and it plays after it downloads completely but it *could* be played as it is streamed. check out a video demo of it at the end of this youtube around the 8:40 mark

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Freddy

That is so cool that is exactly the type of thing I realy want to add to my software. I am glad that someone managed to get video from the bot. I wasn't sure if it was possible. But you have the evidence which is so cool. I can't wait to try this and I am now determined to try and get some sort of live video streaming in the software. The 15-20seconds file transfer won't be so good for live video streamiing but I will do some experimenting. This should save me a load of work.

I think my idea of live video streaming (with a time delay)may eventually come to life

Vader> You software on the video looks great.

Cheers
Gerber

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Guys,

Thanks Freddy for encouraging my brother's software, it will give everyone a preview of what it will look like. We just need to make sure NO ONE copies it ;) Freddy, let's work out a way to implement the feature into Vader's software, and copyright it :)

Vader's software will beat them all, if no one copies it.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Jamie

I first had the intention of just making my RS Media Control Station software for use by my 2 disabled children who find it difficult to control the robots from the controller. Soon after I started working on the software I soon realised that others people may find it useful and decided to release it. I have never thought of, or have ever wanted to copyright any parts my software as I hope that other people who can write software will use the ideas they see in my software and improve on them. It would give me a buzz to know that others have used my ideas in there own software as long as they are not making any money from it.(If anyone does make any money from the ideas please give me some cause I am poor, hee hee)

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello, I've made some progress on streaming video by encoding a wmv file with a buffer so that it will play as it downloads. I tested a large video file of a tv show on the SD, connected ppp, navigated to the webserver and it started streaming within 10 seconds and played the entire 40 minutes through the browser embbeded player with no additional buffering. So if there was a way to encode the video feed from the robot camera then we could see live with little delay. Unfortunately wmv cant be played localy on the robot player unless there is a linux wmv player we could use. I dream that some sort of live video or similar can be achived.

Gerber, I appreciate your approach to you software and the sharing nature in which you have provided it. The personality maker and multibot control are unique.

Vader, your software is feature packed and I've been enjoying it every single day. The tts email reader, snapshot, lcd capture, media manager, java MIDlets, and implimenting webserver are all useful and your other ideas you are developing along are real good. Hope that you will also keep it open for others.

Jamie, I understand your concern for "copy cats" however, its a community, let's work together and call it open source so everyone will be able to fully enjoy the advances made on the RSM.

Freddy

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

Freddy, that is so cool about your findings. That is excellant and one step nearer to live video streaming. Great work.

I agree with you Freddy on the point that its a community and if we all work together, share our knowledge, findings and our ideas the RSM will live for ever (hopefully) and maybe if wowwee see what we are all trying to achieve together they may deside to start remanufacturing the bots or may even give the circuit diagrams to the forum so all the poor broken bots have a chance of being fixed one day.

Long live the RSM

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hi guys,

Freddy - Josh did the personality editor first :) and he started to make a program first! Our original idea was that you, Josh and I stick together to make rsmm as best as we could. I remember the first day you came up with the idea for a program for Josh to make :-) I remember the first days of development when the program was constantly changed.

And Gerber, I was just getting worried because when I showed you a dev build of rsmm, you "suddenly" had the urge to make a program and say that you would make up features, but you didn't make them, Josh did. Why would you do that to me? :-( I just don't want you to copy all of Josh's ideas! Make your own instead of using Josh's and calling them yours...

And Freddy, I think it would be totally stupid to open source over 11000 lines of code Josh spent months and months making...

Watch out, Gerber! Josh is gonna surprise you this weekend :-)

And Gerber, I am really sorry for being so mean to you, I am just sad that you went against what I said "do not make a program or copy features to compete and release it" on that day that I gave you the worlds first copy of rsmm!!! I hope we can be friends again, as long as you don't use any of Josh's features!

Thanks guys

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

If you remember all that then also remember that Santa Matt had made a personality and macro editor first, but big whoop. The fact is we are abandoned by WowWee so I support any and all development possible for the RSM. It's always a treat to see new development for RSM and I look for it daily.

gerber
gerber's picture

Jamie

You seem to think that I am in competition with you brother, which I have previously told you has is never been the case and thought you understood this. Vader has already said to me on a private mail he has no issue with what I am doing. I don't understand why my software seems to bother you so much as everyone else I have spoken to is keen for me to continue developing it. I have said many times before, "I designed my software primarily for my children to use". I am unsure how I can convince you that what you see in my software is not copied from Vaders software.

The Peronality generator, body con editor and other features were already available in the RS Media Editor Suite software supplied with the robot, so if anything both myself and Vader are both taking ideas from that software and we are both trying to use and develop them in our own different ways.

I could give a list of all the features I intend to put into my software, but basically that would be impossible as I intend to add every feature I can get work on the PC from the the robot such as movement control, file handling to interactive games, (the list goes on) into my software along with many other ideas like live messenger for the robots(Some of my ideas for the robot I have posted and some are in my user manual for the software). Certain aspects of mine and vaders software will overlap and we may have some of the same features but the world would be a boring place if there was only one way of doing something. For instance just imagine if the only webbrowser was Internet explorer and Google chrome, Firefox and all other webbrowsers did not exist. If this was the case we would probably never see many new inivations or improvements in Internet explorer.

Normally when I am carrying out a task on the PC I use a few similar software packages at the same time to get to the end result. The reason I do this and others also do the same thing is because even though you maybe using different software packages some features can be missing or it maybe slightly easier to do the task in another packages.

When I started seriously playing with the robots, last September and found out what they were capable of I decided to make my own software to control the robots. I have mentioned to you on previous occassions I never managed to actually get Vader's software working on my pc so the first time I saw it in action was on the video freddy posted.

Yesterday I managed to added voice control to my software. This will allow you to control the robots by voice commands as well as in the graphical user interface which is perfect for my children. I have no problem with Vader doing the same thing in his software or using anything else he sees in my software in his own software. I will post a video of the progress I am making in my software on Sunday hopefully. I hope to have the software ready for the forum by middle or end of April.

I am sorry if you feel my software is similar to Vaders but honestly I have not copied any of his ideas. There is no reason why there can't be more than one solution to the same problem.

Jamie please lets all work in the spirit of community and try to give constructive criticism rather than negative feedback. If Vader feels I am duplicating his ideas please could he voice his view on the forum as he is the developer of his software otherwise lets please put this matter to rest.

Cheers
Gerber

Vader
Vader's picture

Vader> You software on the video looks great.

Thanks.

Yesterday I managed to added voice control to my software. This will allow you to control the robots by voice commands as well as in the graphical user interface which is perfect for my children.

That's awesome. I was actually planning to do something like this long before you started your software.

Unfortunately wmv cant be played localy on the robot player unless there is a linux wmv player we could use. I dream that some sort of live video or similar can be achived. 

I'm pretty sure that the WMV format is fairly simple (being based on the RIFF container format), so I might be able to put something together for all you guys.

EDIT: Oops, I was thinking of AVI there. Still, there's ffmpeg for Linux-based systems.
BTW I think the camera data is in a Motion-JPEG stream.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Vader, good to know there are some solutions for linux. Is the motion-jpeg accesable to put something together for straming? It would be so rad to say look left, look right, search for red ect. Anything you could pull together would be rad.

Freddy

Mr.bot
Mr.bot's picture

Hi

I've Just bought an RS media robot Vaders from what I can seen on the video you software look excellant.