RSMedia and RSV2 problems.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
TigerShark895
TigerShark895's picture
RSMedia and RSV2 problems.

Hi this is my first time posting here, but i have visited here many times before.

RSmedias problem is he wont turn on

We moved not long before he stopped working,

and for a little while he would start to boot up and then

turn off,  now he dosent do anything.

RSV2 always acts like he is laying down,

So i guess there must be something wrong with his tilt sensor.

Any ideas on how to fix them?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi TigerShark895, sorry to hear about your robot troubles. I's say you will need to start by opening up RSM and test power wires from battery to their respective contacts. If that all seems right, you might have more severe problems involving components. And at that point you would have to take a good close look around for any signs of chared, burned or melted electronics. I've personally been able to recover an RSM from severe component problems so keep your hopes up.
About the RSV2, I'd say you have the wire problem and will most likely have to replace a few wires. Do a search for Wire insulation and yull find several posts regarding the process for fixing this aweful thing wowwee did to the RSV2 to save a few bucks.

Keep us posted!
Freddy

TigerShark895
TigerShark895's picture

I started to open RSmedia but i appear to have a stripped screw problem.

Do you know if there is a way to remove it now?

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi TigerShark895

I had the same problem on my RSmedia last june and by september the bot stopped powering up totally. The good news is I managed to out that main robot board was causing this fault.

How I managed to find out the the problem was on the main robot board was by using a 2nd rs media and checking each board from the broken bot in the working bot.

There was no sign of burning on any of the components on the faulty board. I spent a few weeks with the help from members of this forum trying to look for the root cause of the fault on this board. Unfortunately I never managed to find the fault and the robot is still in the attic in bits. However since then I have bought a few more replacement bots but I love to be able to bring the broken bot back to life again. Hope you get yours bot fixed and let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Gerber

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi TigerShark895, I've used a small drill bit for metals in reverse with lots of pressure. There are screw extractor drill bits available also. Some people have even gone as far as superglue on a scew driver tip, I dont recomend that method, you could glue the screw in! I hope you get the screw out and that there is no major damage.

Freddy

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello,

It could be a problem with your power wires as Freddy said. You can strip a screw if you use a too small screw driver or carelessly apply no pressure to the screw. Freddy's tips should work great!

Gerber, start a new thread if you wish to tell of your troubles - this is Tigershark's problem and all you're doing is spamming the thread (off topic, no help) Not everyone has a problem with the main board.

Tigershark, I hope you can get the bot working. You may of blown some components on one of the board by using a power supply, or it may be as simple as a loose wire. Freddy has had to replace alot of parts on a broken RS Media, but through help he recovered it! Hope you get it wokring!

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

gerber
gerber's picture

Jamie

I was not spamming. I was just trying to help like everyone else. The problem Tigersharks is having with his bot sounds similar to the problem I had on mine so I was just giving some ideas of what he could try to find the fault.

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Gerber,

I put that the wrong way, sorry. I just didn't want Tigershark to get really worried because you told him the mainboard might be stuffed when that is the least likely.

kroml8r
kroml8r's picture

Hi Tigershark,
Did you end up getting the screw out? When I stripped my RSV2 down, I very nearly stripped the heads of a couple of screws. They were very tight and the quality of the screws is not great (soft metal). It is very important to have the right size Phillips head driver. Use a standard No2 Phillips head (don't use a posidrive) and press quite hard into the screw head as you turn it anti clockwise to unscrew it. If you have used a too small driver or one that is worn out, you may have stripped the head out. If this has happened you have a couple of options. First try the method described above with the correct screw driver. Press really hard and you may still be able to get the screw turning out. Secondly if the head is really stripped (screw driver spinning on the head of the screw), then you will probably have to drill it out. This is pretty tricky so be careful. You should use a 5mm drill bit, which should just fit into the shaft where the screw is installed. Use a variable speed battery drill and turn the drill bit quite slowly at first, making sure that it is centered in the screw head. You only want to drill enough till the head is removed. You should then be able to pull the plastic apart and hopefully leave just enough thread exposed so that you can grab hold of it with some pliers or vice grips and remove the rest of the screw. Make sure you have removed the other screws before you try to pries apart the plastic body pieces.

BTW I wouldn't be surprised if you have the bad wiring insulation problem that so many seem to be experiencing (me included). But that is another story.