RS Media SD Card

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture
RS Media SD Card

Hi Guys,

Can you please tell me if it is possible to partition an sd card?  as the RS media will only take a 1Gb card and they are few and far between to find and buy, can I use a 2gb and seperate it into 2x 1gb.

with the new and exciting uses for the robot and more files that need to put on the sd card for the robot, Im afraid that there may be too may in 1 directory that might stop a program to work as the robot may start up the wrong prgram.

Cheers Curtainmaker

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Yes you can do that. Use the windows partitioning tool (search on google) and set the partition size to 1024MB.

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Jamie

Thanks, so once you partition it into two sections are you able to switch between the sections while it is in the Robot or not.

Regards Dale

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hi Dale,

Once you partition the drive, the drive will become 2 separate drives. You can't switch between partitions on the bot unless you do some extreme hacking.

Hope everything works!

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

pt2091
pt2091's picture

Hi,

Have you gotten this to work?

pt2091
pt2091's picture

Hello,

I was wondering if you were able to partition it correctly? I was trying to in Ubuntu, the partitions were W95 fat32 and each partition was 986 MB or something irregular like that. No luck.

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi pt2091
no I havn't tried the suggestion from Jamie yet, as i have been able to buy a 1gb card but it was expensive at $20.00. I can buy 2gb for $8.00 so I will be getting some of those and then trying to partition it. Looked it up on the internet for the program but have found nothing that seems to be simple enough.
I have just brought my 3rd RS Media yesterday so I will have to be getting some more cards.
Regards Curtainmaker

pt2091
pt2091's picture

Curtainmaker said: Hi pt2091 no I havn't tried the suggestion from Jamie yet, as i have been able to buy a 1gb card but it was expensive at $20.00. I can buy 2gb for $8.00 so I will be getting some of those and then trying to partition it. Looked it up on the internet for the program but have found nothing that seems to be simple enough. I have just brought my 3rd RS Media yesterday so I will have to be getting some more cards. Regards Curtainmaker

Thanks for the reply,

So yea I tried to parition it with Windows 7 disk management into one 1024 MB fat  partition and again with fat32, and neither succeeded. We have located a a 512 MB SD card and purchased a bunch of 1gb cards online. Apparently they're getting rarer!

I'll keep documenting our status as we progress here.

pt2091
pt2091's picture

Hi so we ended up using 1gb sd cards. They were easily detected by rs media.