How to check if your RSMedia is V1 or V2?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Helibot
Helibot's picture
How to check if your RSMedia is V1 or V2?

Hi all,
There have been quite a few requests for people wanting to know what version of firmware is running in the RSMedia. Also if a robot isn’t running properly its useful to know if the firmware is correctly flashed and not corrupted.
So I have written a little tool that will check the kernel area, root file system area and the default file area and tell you if RSMV1 or RSMV2 software is installed.
It will also check the size of the kernel area and report if it is RSMV1 or RSMV2 sized (so you can know if its safe to reflash RSMV1 or RSMV2 firmware).

There are two versions of RSMedia firmware

• RSM V1 - Original firmware.
  • RSM V2 - Newer firmware with USB Networking feature.

The tool is an rsupdate script that will run when the robot boots, it will test the areas and print results to the LCD screen.
For full instructions see the RSMCheckVersion.html in the archive.
The html file also includes all the history and differences between  RSMV1 and RSMV2 (as far as I know anyway!) . Its also has links to the places to get files/instructions to reflash the different firmware versions.

You can download the tool from Robocommunity from this RSMCheckVersion tool.

It is also available from the RSMedia Robot Development kit site on source forge from this link RSMCheckVersion tool.

Cheers
   Helibot

P.S. Thanx to Urgentmete for helping test the tool on a RSMV1!

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Helibot, how does an RSM with 32MB come into play with this? A third bootloader http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/18065/Reflashing-RSMedia-V2-wi... Or will that be a no issue in this tool?
Freddy

Helibot
Helibot's picture

FreddyA said: Hi Helibot, how does an RSM with 32MB come into play with this? A third bootloader http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/18065/Reflashing-RSMedia-V2-with-or... Or will that be a no issue in this tool? Freddy

Hi Freddy,
  I dont think it will be a problem because it doesnt test the bootloader region or the ram size.
The script checks the size and checksum of the kernel (/dev/Nand0) area, the checksum of the root/system (/dev/nand1) and the checksum of the default (/dev/nand2) areas.

But if you have a 32Meg robot and some time you could check it for me ;-)
Cheers
   Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Helibot, checked and I get unknown in Default Root ver. The bot I tried it on has no modifications and is in original condition.

Freddy

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Freddy,
Thanks for the test....not so happy with the results!! I wonder why. When you have time can you run the mount ,df , ls -al /mnt/default/* and dmesg commands and email me the results. (No Hurry, I will be busy for the next few days anyway.)

Cheers
Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi helibot, will do. the bot I tried on has no serial hack yet so I'll get that up or t least usb console. I did try in aother bot with 32mb v2 reflashed and this one got unknown kernel ver. will try get you those files asap
Freddy