Compile CURL for Web Streaming

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
Compile CURL for Web Streaming

Hi helibot, I have a special request. Could you compile curl to wrap it in a shell script and use it to play files from the net? Vader gave it a go with no luck and it sure would be cool to wake up to an alarm (alarmclock by helibot haha) of our favorite radio or video news channel. Or stream to the robot from webcam or stored media on a home server. mabe a cool web page on the webserver as a playlist of available streaming feeds. I use this free site called orb.com where I can stream live tv and movies from my home pc tv tunner, cameras and other media. So a url can be specified and rsm plays it on his LCD. I think this would be a big hit in our new networked bots.

So any chance you could take a look at that and make more magic?

Freddy

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Freddy,
I havent used CURL before. But I am happy to give it a try.
I have downloaded a version for Redhat7.2 from here http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
(RSMedia is based on Redhat 8.3 so when choosing versions its best to get the closest you can to this version)

I will try compiling it soon. But dont get your hopes up yet......most often I get part way through the compile then find that the package depends on some other packages and things get awfully complex or impossible very quickly!!.

Cheers
Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Helibot, thanks for taking a look, hope its worth the try! Not sure what version Vader tried to compile, before him mentioning it to me I hadnt even heard of it. I'll try to remain calm and keep my eyes open for other possibilites for true internet viewed through rsm lcd.
Freddy

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi helibot, thanks for compiling curl, Good to know it compiled ok. Vader gave it another look and reported no go, maybe the disabled stuff. I won??t give up easily though it??s another learning curve for me.
Thanks for being so cool.
Freddy