RS Media Terminal Console Software

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
gerber
gerber's picture
RS Media Terminal Console Software

Hi

I wrote some software today which will allow you to communicate to your RS Media via IP or Standard Serial com port. Below is a video to give a brief idea of what the software will do.

What the software is like is a sort of hyper terminal but specifically for the RS Media. The software currently has the following functions:

Communication to the RS Media via IP address  with the following features

• File transfer to the bot with the aid of Helibot brilliant TinyFTP program
  • Access to the webpages stored on the robot
  • Robot operation system command line input

(To connect via IP address you RS media will need to be on Firmware V2 and to do the File transfer form the software you will need Helibots TINYFTP program on you robot)

Communication to the RS Media via  Standard serial com port  with the following features

• Robot operation system command line input

(Currently there is no file transfer in the software via standard serial port connection but I will be adding this it at some time)

When I have finished the software which I hope will be by no later than Friday 22.04.2011 I will upload it to then forum. This software will eventually incoperated into the RS Media Control station but for now will be stand alone.

Cheers
Gerber

P.S. Thanks to Helibot for the compiling TinyFTP software (written by Dimitur Kirov) (It’s a fantastic bit of software) thanks to FreddyA for spending the time on MSN helping to me get the robot connected via IP.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber,
This looks great, cant wait to try it.
Its great that you allow multiple telenet sessions to be started , and that you can specify the IP address (as I still hope that Freddy or I will get "multiple robots connected as once" working sometime soon!!)

BTW I didnt write TinyFTP, I just compiled it for arm. It was written by Dimitur Kirov. See http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinyftp/ for details.
Actually it was really easy to compile, maybe I will write some of the steps down so others can experiment on recompiling tools/programs for RSMedia.

Cheers
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Helibot

Glad you like it. I couldn't believe how easy it was for me to create this software and this just a starting point for better version of the software which I hope to have features like media players, and jukebox functions, which could be power by the webserver on the bot. I have not done much with web design other than create a website a number of years ago. I hope when cutainmaker gets his RSM upto V2 he will be able to make some awsome web server apps for the bots.

>BTW I didnt write TinyFTP, I just compiled it for arm. It was written by Dimitur Kirov.

Oops, I thought you had written TinyFTP. Freddy sent it to me last Thursday. The main thing is you compiled it which still cool for the RSM so many thanks go to Dimitur Kirov for writing it and you for compiling it for the RSM.

I didn't do any work on the software on the weekend as the weather was to nice to stay indoors, but I will definitely have it uploaded to the forum for Friday. I am just in the middle of sorting out the graphical buttons on the interface and adding in the serial coms console to the software.

I was wondering is it ok for me to include the TinyFTP in the installation files in the software. What I was hoping to create was a robot SD card image included with the istallation files for the software. This SD card image would include all the extra files that are needed to work with my software such flite, tinyftp, docmd, ..... The reason I want to do this is cause it would make it a lot easier for the user than having to try and find the file themselves. As TinyFTP, Flite were not written by me I don't just want to add these files in the installtion without asking first.

I was wonding have you managed to compile Flite v1.5?
I would love to get this working for my multibot software? I have no idea how to compile it myself as have very little experience with C. I have been using Flite v1.3 which works really well but I want to try and give each robot a slightly different voice so they sound like they are talking to each other.

Cheers
Gareth

Vader
Vader's picture

I was wondering is it ok for me to include the TinyFTP in the installation files in the software.

It should be fine, but since TinyFTP is under a GPL license you will have to distribute the source of it with your program, along with a copy of the GPL license. See this link for a bit more information: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5534095/distributing-unmodified-gpl-e...

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Vader

Cheers for the info

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber,
I agree with Vader you can include the binary and to fully comply you should also include the source code (just include the archive from the sourceforge url above). It would also be polite to credit the original Author and add a link to the sourceforge website in your documentation.

Cheers
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Helibot

I will do as you said and add a the source files and and license files and a link to to the website

Cheers
Gerber

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

I can't beleive I managed to finish the software in under a week, but it's now ready for release to the forum. I just need to write the help files then I will upload it to the forum on Sunday/Monday. Below is a screen shot of what it looks like.

The features I have added to the software as follows:

Communication via serial port

• Ability to open a single window for the
    Terminal console giving access to the RSM busybox

Communication via IP address 

• Ability to open multiple windows for the:
    Terminal consoles giving access to the RSM busybox
    RSM webserver pages
    FTP SD card file explorer (Power by TinyFTP)
    FTP RSM system file explorer (Power by TinyFTP)

Once I have release this version I will be enhancing it with the following:

1) The terminal console will have prodictive command text. This will work in a similar way to prodictive text works on a mobile phone in that as you start to type in a command a list will be displayed on the screen of all closest match commands to the text that has been typed in. 

2) File upload and download on serial coms using zmodem.(I have not done any work on this as yet but will do some experimenting over the next few weeks)

The main purpose why I wrote this software was to make a stable communication interface for the Multibot software I am write. I will be using a cut down version of this software in the multibot software which is also nearly ready for release. Unfortunately I am a way for a few weeks so even though there is not a lot to do on the multibot software I won't be able to be uploaded it to the forum until the end of May.

Cheers
Gerber 

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

I have now now finished and uploaded the software to the forum. You can download it from the following link

http://www.robocommunity.com/download/18440/RSM-Terminal-Console/

Cheers
Gerber

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello All, this is a review of RSM Terminal Console. If you haven’t downloaded this software and connected your bot yet for any reason I suggest you do that now. OH! YOU CANT! it’s not available from the forum downloads yet. I have been beta testing this software and it took less time for Gerber to make it than it has taken to get it up on the downloads page, so your patience will pay off on this one.

This software can be run with virtual com port with no serial hack needed for those of you with non-hacked bots. The main purpose of this software would be the ability to access the robot via different methods simultaneously but yet it goes beyond that a bit.

First off it connects to your com port for one console session, and that’s great. The Fantastic part is when you have the connection via i.p. where you can then open more windows of communication.

The SD window for example is great to drag and drop files to and from, right on the sd card, no need to turn off bot, take out card, put in pc, do the deed, put back in bot, and reboot to see if you did it right. Nope, just drag a program right on the sd and execute it from the other super window telnet console. You can go right into the photo folder and start a slide show of pictures the robot has taken or play videos right off the robot on your pc and so much more.

The telnet console window is color coded to read the folder file types, open as many as needed a great advantage for developers. There’s the System Files window for reading the on board robot files and copying those to your pc.

Last but not least is the web window which opens up the index of your bots web server. I have a simple page I made from the example included in the web server installation to control some basic robot motions and programs. Lots of possibilities in the web area of the bot.

Being able to beta test this programs really helps in gathering the ideas for future development predictions. Talking with Gareth and following through with some testing on my own I can say there is more to come, definitely some cool stuff. I'll go ahead and give you some insight into what might be. Online chat where the rsm tts will speak your incoming I.M. messages. Streaming radio or video content like youtube or live TV. 2 way video for bot-to-bot conversations and games. web pages for jukebox, social network stuff, email videos from bot to contacts, multiplayer robot web games, and possibly an extension to this community where your robot can log on and interact with other online members with or without rsms. For those with the kinect, it will allow for remote experience unlike any other where the robot human interaction is seen, heard and motion based, that’s my favorite one.

I'd like to thank Gerber for his great work on his RS Media development in the various projects i've been able to beta for him.

"game over, we've been discontinued brother" there’s life yet little buddy.

Get it, it's a good thing for your RS Media.

gerber
gerber's picture

Cheers Freddy for the great review and I am so glad you like the software.

You rightly said it is a shame no one can download it at the moment as it took me a week to write I then uploaded it to the forum last Sunday. I can't beleive there is still no sign of it in the download area?(I think the Administrator is away on holiday or something)

I am a way for 2 weeks but when I return I will be making a website and you will be able to download all my the software projects direct from there. On the website I am planning to also have the online help files for all my software and the progress of the status of the projects I am working on.

And as Freddy said above I have load of other projects and ideas to work on. Some of the ideas involve different ways to communicate with the RSM and different ways to control and use the robot. some of the Ideas I have I been writing up in last pages of the help manual included with the software but as I come up with new ideas to do with the RSM all the time the idea pages in the manuals become out of date as soon as I release them so I will also be putting my ideas on to a page on my website, even if all of them are possible to achieve at the moment.

Anyway I will be back on the forum in 2 weeks and hopefully by then the Administrator will have verified the software so others can download it to use.

Cheers
Gerber

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber and all,
   For the moment I have uploaded Gerbers new program to the RSMedia Devkit site on sourceforge. So you can download it from this link.  I hope that it gets verified on the Robocommunity site soon as well :-)

Cheers
      Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Helibot

Cheers for that at least everyone can have a go of it if the want to now

Cheers
Gerber

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi all

Just come back off holidays from Disneyland to find the RSM Terminal console was still not in the download area so I private messaged the administrator and it is now there. If you want to download it the link is below:

http://www.robocommunity.com/download/18440/RSM-Terminal-Console/

Next week I am going to try and get back to finishing off the Multibot software.

Cheers
Gerber

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi Gerber
Thanks it now works, I have moved the tinyFtP to the application folder and not the root dirctory of the sd card and it made all the difference.
I get tho that when i open the window for the RSM internal files the Icon for the sd card dirctory disappears, so I have to close the program and start it back up again for all 4 icons to show up again and vise versa, if i open the sd Card icon the RSM icon then disappears, only to come back when it is all closed down and restarted.
the other 2 icons (web page and programming) are always there to open and close at will.

Regards curtainmaker

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

Glad it works for you. Hope you find the software useful.

Cheers
Gerber