Augmented reality RS Media

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
gerber
gerber's picture
Augmented reality RS Media

Hi

I was playing round with my Andriod phone today and found a great app called ANDAR which allows you to import a 3d OBJ file and it projects it using augmented reality. Below is a video to show the RS media graphic I created in Google sketchup being used with the app. 

If you have an Andriod phone I would definitely recomend downloading this and having a play with it.

The link to get more info on this Andriod software is below
http://code.google.com/p/andar/

It has inspired me to add some sort of augmented reality into my RS Media control station software to maybe project background scenary or even to get the robot to preform specfic tasks depending on the shaped card  that is dispayed. I have plently of new ideas on how I could use this technology in my software. 

Cheers

Gerber

Sunbeamowner
Sunbeamowner's picture

Nice one.
Do you know if there is a similar programme for the ipod touch or iphone?

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Sunbeamowner

I am not sure sorry. If there is I am not sure how you would get the 3d OBJ files on to the Iphone as I think you need to use Itunes to upload files and I don't think it likes transfering non-iphone type files.

On the Iphone app store you could try doing a search on some thing along the lines of "Augmented reality" or "AR" or "3d obj file viewer" you might find one.

My wife has a iphone I will have a look on that tonight and see if I can find one for you.

Cheers
Gerber

Maxhirez
Maxhirez's picture

Very cool! Most of the apps on iPhone that require you to upload external files make some provision to do it through iTunes, but I don't know about OBJ files specifically. Are your RS Media sketchups available publicly, Gerber? They're very cool!

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Maxhirez

Glad you like the RS Media model. It took about 2 and half weeks to make and was quite hard to do but it probably took me so long as I haven't used Sketch up foor a few years.

I haven't uploaded the RS media sketchup model I made yet to the Sketchup Warehouse for the public as I am still doing work on it. I would like to draw all the other wow wee bots eventually using the RS media drawing I created as the basic template and Just modify it. The first one I will probably do is the RSV2 as it is very similar to the RS media.

Maxhirez
Maxhirez's picture

Roboquad, Robopet and Roboboa will all be quite a challenge!

gerber
gerber's picture

I would have to do those from scratch probably and as you said they probably would be pretty ackward to draw but what I would probably do is try and find a model from the sketch up warehouse that is slightly similar and try to modifiy it like downloaded a  dinosaur model and modifying it so it becomes a roboreptile and robo raptor and maybe a dog for the robquad. I recon the easiest ones to start with would be the RSv2 RSv1 Joe bot Femosapian as I have the basic shape on the RS media model I have already made.

I do have a plan in mind to make things alot easier for myself and that is to make a 3d scanner which will make it a lot quicker for me to create the models. I will do this using a webcam a laser spirit level and some software I need to write to process the images and stitch them together in to make a 3dmodel. I would have never dream of even attempting this about 3mouths ago as I new nothing about 3d programming, but since make the 3d robot graphic move in visual basic I have learnt so many new skills to do with image processing I think this project is totally achieveable. The 3d scanner idea will be great if I can do it but at the moment it is just an idea even though I know how I will acheive it and the other thing is I need to finish my the 3d robot interface for my RS media control station software first.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi 

Sunbeamowner asked> Do you know if there is a similar programme for the ipod touch or iphone?

I was not  able to find any for the Iphone or Ipod touch that uses augmented reality but I did find a few that will allow you to view 3d OBJ files. I have not tried them but then apps are called:

Viewshape
zmesh
SimLab 3D OBJ Viewer

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Looking forward to see what you come up with for this cool feature.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey Gerber,
Just tried it on my Nexus One Android phone - it works pretty well. (Sometimes it seems to never show the model though - have to quit out and start again - then it works OK?).
Will try it at work tomorrow where we have a 7" tablet - should be even more fun!
The RSMedia model you created looks great. Let me know when you have it finished and uploaded.

Cheers
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Helibot

Yeah I had the same sort of problem on my Samsung Galaxy s2 as you. I found sometimes the models wouldn't show and I had to quit the program and restarted it a number of time to get it working on the phone. I think this is cause the app has been release as a beta version.

Glad you like the model of the RS media I created in sketchup. I am still doing a few tweaks to it as I need to make each limb moveavble by adding joints. When I have finished it I'll upload it to the stetchup warehouse. At the moment I am in the middle of changing my Sketchup ruby script to output the robot with the correct coordinates so I can get it moving fully in my software. I am about half way though this process and hope to have this done in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Cheers
Gerber