Can anyone help me?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
technoteacher
technoteacher's picture
Can anyone help me?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and indeed the world of robotics.  I teach elementary children IT and we started to get into computer programming.  I decided to extend some of the more able kids into robotics, and a very kind person donated a RS Media.  It came just as the robot and remote control.  We all had fun with the robot, but I wanted them to develop program sequences, so I downloaded the editing suite, put the RS Media into USB mode and plugged him into my computer.

That was when things started going wrong.  At first it did not recognise the robot, but then it wouldn’t stop recognising it – hundreds of ‘open file to browse folders’ messages gradually appeared on my screen.  In the end I disconnected RS Media, but he has never been the same.  Now he only has RS Media personality (instead of 4).  Also, he only has control and arm mode.  I can’t go into media mode to turn of USB mode.  Also, once in Arm mode he can only revert to control mode if he is turned off then on again.

The details:

• The computer I plugged into was running Windows 7 Pro
  • I have also since tried plugging into a computer running Windows XP pro.  Computer can’t recognise the RS Media’s drive.
  • I installed RS Media Editing Suite 2.4.2.

What I have tried:

• Uploading the missing personalities, but I can never access the RS Media’s memory.  It some times recognises that there is a device, but asks for a disk to be inserted.
  • Holding the stop button for 3 seconds - no difference.
  • Putting personalities on SD drive and restarting RS Media – no difference

What I would like to do is somehow restore the RS Media back to what he was when I received him.

After that I would like to be able to plug him into the editing suite so that the kids can formulate macros etc and upload them.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Technoteacher

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Technoteacher, sounds like you have corrupt files. Do a search here for reflashing the firmware and that should fix your problem.
Also, to use the usb cable you need to set usb mode in media mode. There are instructions you can find here to help you with creating maros. Download the user manual and hand it out to the kids to read haha.
Freddy

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

If you havent found it yet, here is an excelent resource for robotics including the rs media dev kit. http://bytebin.net/robotics by TikaC

technoteacher
technoteacher's picture

FreddyA said: Hello Technoteacher, sounds like you have corrupt files. Do a search here for reflashing the firmware and that should fix your problem. Also, to use the usb cable you need to set usb mode in media mode. There are instructions you can find here to help you with creating maros. Download the user manual and hand it out to the kids to read haha. Freddy

Thanks for your help FreddyA.  I downloaded the firmware, put it on a SD card, however it didn't work (no reaction at all).  I think the problem may be that the smallest SD card I have is 2Gb, however the manual says the largest card readable is 1Gb.  I will try to purchase a smaller SD card tomorrow and give it another try.

Is there a version of windows that works best with RSMedia suite?  The software runs ok on Windows 7, but I had problems when I connected the robot (corrupting the files)  Would I be better with XP?

Thanks for the tip about the development site.

I really appreciate your help.

Technoteacher

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Definitly need a 1 gb. that should be ok then on win 7 if you fix the firmware, then just make sure to set usb mode BEFORE plugging in the usb cord. I found 1gb micro sd with adapter for about $4 on ebay.. must get more more for myself. I read somewhere you might be able to partition a bigger sd to a 1gb but never tried.

Freddy

Vader
Vader's picture

Definitely a problem somewhere during the OS start-up sequence. As Freddy has already mentioned, reflashing the firmware should do the trick. From memory, I don't think there is any on-screen indication of how far the process has completed (it will just appear to hang at the "Wowwee" screen). If you leave it go for 5 minutes or so you should be safe.

technoteacher
technoteacher's picture

FreddyA said: Hello Technoteacher, sounds like you have corrupt files. Do a search here for reflashing the firmware and that should fix your problem. Also, to use the usb cable you need to set usb mode in media mode. There are instructions you can find here to help you with creating maros. Download the user manual and hand it out to the kids to read haha. Freddy

Hi FreddyA,

Finally got hold of a 1Gb SD Card (not so easy these days).  It kind of worked.  It reported an error at the updating applications stage (Checksum error, Nand write err).  First time this happened the process hung.  So I tried the whole thing again.  Got the same error, but it also updated personalities and reported the process finished.

However on re-start RS Media does his little dance while the Wow Wee splash screen says "Loading".  Then it hangs and goes no where.

I tired updating the kernel, however the RS Media is V1.

Not sure where to head next.

Technoteacher

Vader
Vader's picture

technoteacher said:

Hi FreddyA, Finally got hold of a 1Gb SD Card (not so easy these days).  It kind of worked.  It reported an error at the updating applications stage (Checksum error, Nand write err).  First time this happened the process hung.  So I tried the whole thing again.  Got the same error, but it also updated personalities and reported the process finished. However on re-start RS Media does his little dance while the Wow Wee splash screen says "Loading".  Then it hangs and goes no where. I tired updating the kernel, however the RS Media is V1. Not sure where to head next. Technoteacher

Try downloading the firmware dump scripts from http://downloads.sf.net/rsmediadevkit/RSMFirmwareDump-1.3.zip and post the contents of dmesg.txt.

technoteacher
technoteacher's picture

Vader said:

technoteacher said:

Hi FreddyA, Finally got hold of a 1Gb SD Card (not so easy these days).  It kind of worked.  It reported an error at the updating applications stage (Checksum error, Nand write err).  First time this happened the process hung.  So I tried the whole thing again.  Got the same error, but it also updated personalities and reported the process finished. However on re-start RS Media does his little dance while the Wow Wee splash screen says "Loading".  Then it hangs and goes no where. I tired updating the kernel, however the RS Media is V1. Not sure where to head next. Technoteacher

Try downloading the firmware dump scripts from http://downloads.sf.net/rsmediadevkit/RSMFirmwareDump-1.3.zip and post the contents of dmesg.txt.

Thanks for your fast reply Vader.

I downloaded as you suggested, and put it all on my SD card, put it in my RS Media, however there was no obvious response.

however, aware that programs can run behind the scenes I have put the contents of dmesg.txt here as requested:

Linux version 2.4.18-rmk5-mx1ads-p3 (root@michael) (gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)) #507 Fri Aug 25 20:10:50 HKT 2006

Processor: ARM/CIRRUS Arm920Tsid(wb) revision 0

Architecture: Motorola MX1ADS

On node 0 totalpages: 4096

zone(0): 4096 pages.

zone(1): 0 pages.

zone(2): 0 pages.

Kernel command line: root=fe01 ro mem=16M

Relocating machine vectors to 0xffff0000

Console: colour dummy device 80x30

Calibrating delay loop... 98.50 BogoMIPS

Memory: 16MB = 16MB total

Memory: 15000KB available (741K code, 297K data, 48K init)

Dentry-cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)

Inode-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)

Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)

Buffer-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)

Page-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)

POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX

Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4

Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039

Initializing RT netlink socket

Starting kswapd

ttySA0 at I/O 0x206000 (irq = 29) is a MX1ADS

ttySA1 at I/O 0x207000 (irq = 23) is a MX1ADS

pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured

DMA Initializing 

block: 64 slots per queue, batch=16

SSFDC core support installed

MX1ADS nand I/O driver installed

SSFDC Partitions

nand0 : block 0x0000-0x003e : "Kernel" 1008 KB direct map

nand1 : block 0x003f-0x01fe : "RootDisk" 7168 KB random map

nand2 : block 0x01ff-0x047e : "DefaultDisk" 10240 KB random map

nand3 : block 0x047f-0x0f5a : "UserDisk" 44480 KB random map

nand4 : block 0x0f5b-0x0f7a : "WritableDisk" 512 KB random map

nand5 : block 0x0f7b-0x0f9a : "PassDisk" 512 KB random map

MX1ADS nand flash partition definitions installed

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.

NetWinder Floating Point Emulator V0.95 (c) 1998-1999 Rebel.com

found bad block 0x0 -> 0x24c, block status 0xff, data status 0x0

[ 00 00 00 00 00 ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ]

reserved: 0x00000000

data status: 0x00, block status: 0xff

addr1: 0x0000, addr2: 0x0000

ecc1: 0x00 0x00 0x00, ecc2: 0x00 0x00 0x00

found bad block 0x0 -> 0x17c, block status 0x0, data status 0x0

[ 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ]

reserved: 0x00000000

data status: 0x00, block status: 0x00

addr1: 0x0000, addr2: 0x0000

ecc1: 0x00 0x00 0x00, ecc2: 0x00 0x00 0x00

found bad block 0x234 -> 0x217, block status 0x0, data status 0xff

[ ff ff ff ff ff 00 14 69 65 59 5b 14 69 56 66 57 ]

reserved: 0xffffffff

data status: 0xff, block status: 0x00

addr1: 0x6914, addr2: 0x6914

ecc1: 0x56 0x66 0x57, ecc2: 0x65 0x59 0x5b

VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly.

Freeing init memory: 48K

mx1ads_startup

HD66770 Recycle LCD drivers 132x176 Version 0.1 installed

MXL-ADS Video Capture Module initialized

Call ssfdc_udisk_register_partition

Call usb_disk_register

USB Device mass storage interface installed

Date : 2005/01/06

Register usb_mmc_disk complete

MMC disk driver initialized

MX1ADS USB Device controller glue driver installed

EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended

EXT2-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended

Chip ID: 1b, Chip Revision: 0

MX1ADS : AC97 driver initialized.

#Error -3 while decompressing!

c00f09b0(-7448380)->c0ac7000(4096)

framebuffer ioctl not supported: 17924

####

Hope this tells you something!
Technoteacher
Vader
Vader's picture

Looks like parts of the NAND filesystem are corrupted. Considering that an rsupdate still boots, you should be able to reflash the appropriate image back onto RS Media. Did you use the V1 or V2 image?

technoteacher
technoteacher's picture

I used the V2 image.

Technoteacher

Vader
Vader's picture

If you have a V1 RSM you can't use the V2 image unless you upgrade the bootloader and repartition the NAND (which requires the serial port hack).

technoteacher
technoteacher's picture

Vader said: If you have a V1 RSM you can't use the V2 image unless you upgrade the bootloader and repartition the NAND (which requires the serial port hack).

Hi Vader,

I found V1 and used that.  More success.  I added personalites to the SD Card and reflashed, and his screen reported success with that too.  He boots up and even talks now.  

However no matter what I press on the remote control he won't actually do anything.  Won't change personalities, modes, move arms legs or anything.

Are there some files I can download to fix this?

Technoteacher

technoteacher
technoteacher's picture

technoteacher said:

Vader said: If you have a V1 RSM you can't use the V2 image unless you upgrade the bootloader and repartition the NAND (which requires the serial port hack).

Hi Vader, I found V1 and used that.  More success.  I added personalites to the SD Card and reflashed, and his screen reported success with that too.  He boots up and even talks now.   However no matter what I press on the remote control he won't actually do anything.  Won't change personalities, modes, move arms legs or anything. Are there some files I can download to fix this? Technoteacher

Looked though the website some more and found a hint to insert a blank SD Card and this fixed the doing nothing problem. Yay!!

Now I just need to give him some different personalities.

Julie

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Technoteacher

Glad you got the bot working again.

Gerber

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Tecnoteacher, good work on getting up and running. Will you be upgrading the bot to a V2? Also, have a look at a couple of personality editing software here, RS Media Control Station by gerber and RS Media editior by santa matt. Both in the downloads area. There are also some other very cool programs by Heibot like rs media alarm clock, lcd screen graphics changer and copybot which follows your arm movements. You've got a superb educational bot there. Way to stick with it!
Freddy

technoteacher
technoteacher's picture

Hello everyone,

A BIG thank you to everyone who helped me get my RS Media working again.  He now has a selection of personalities and works better than ever before.

I am amazed at how generous you all are with your time to help people when they have problems.

RS Media went with me to school today and the kids had a fantastic time using him.  I have an 'extension' class that are working on robotics projects and they are having the best time exploring this area.  I have to say I am enjoying it too - their creative energy I really enthusing.Smile

Technoteacher

Helibot
Helibot's picture

FreddyA said: If you havent found it yet, here is an excelent resource for robotics including the rs media dev kit. http://bytebin.net/robotics by TikaC

Hi Techoteacher and Freddy,

Just to let you know that the RSDev kit website is now at http://rsmediadevkit.sourceforge.net/.

Well done for getting your RSMedia going!! Hope you and your students really enjoy him!

Make sure you try out lots of the personalities that are available on page 3 of the downloads area - Kids always seem to love these the best.

For good kid friendly learning exercises, you can use the RSMedia editing suite (or the alternative ones available in the downloads area) to create their own body con macros or even a whole personality.  Add a microphone to the PC and they can record their own voices (or music/sounds) to be part of the macros/personality as well.  (And before you know it they will be adding burping and farting sounds to RSmedia - but hey what do you expect!.)

There is also a 'Text to speech' program for RSMedia  - See the downloads area. You maybe able to use it to give the kids verbal instructions via RSMedia! - Or let them practise their typing and hear the words spoken by RSMeida.   (But you will need to have the USB console setup first - so you probably want to get that working first out side of the classroom).

Regards

Helibot