RS Media Remote Access and Instant messaging over the internet

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
gerber
gerber's picture
RS Media Remote Access and Instant messaging over the internet

Hi 

I have been experimenting over the last few night and have managed to remotely send commands to the RS media over the net using Skype as the vehicle. 

At the moment I am only get the robot to say what has be sent in an instant message from within skype, but I will now be able to fully control the robot remotely from anywhere in the world just like you can with the Rovio or Skypee.

I did searched on the net last night and couldn't find any results where robots are being used as an instant messeging service a long with fully access to all their other functions. I don't think anyone has tried using a robot in this way before, so I think this is a first, I could be wrong though.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

THIS IS NUTS! definitely a first. Not even robodance had RS Media control at all for its last free release. This has been one of my top dreams to actually use rsm to talk my instant messages and emails. Now to have control that??s just amazing stuff, there has been control over ip before but nothing released to actually use without the trouble of redirecting router and all that crazy stuff. wow gerber this is over the top!

gerber
gerber's picture

Glad you like it.

Mike Row
Mike Row's picture

Looks really cool.
But is it the rs media saying the sentenences?
Or skype. Im a bit confused. Rs media dosnt have text to speech capabilities does it?

nomad
nomad's picture

hi guys now my dollar is fallen.freddy is that what you use,rs over skype.
can you tell me how its workt with skype,gerber says the rs also incoming message.o wow getting better.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Mike

Always nice to see a new member to the community.

"Looks really cool. But is it the rs media saying the sentenences? Or skype. Im a bit confused. Rs media dosnt have text to speech capabilities does it?"

Yes the RS media is saying the sentences and in the the software I have written called the "RS Media Control Station Software". The robot has the ability to speak using a program program called FLITE you but on the robots SD card. Flite was compiled by Helibot who is another member of this forum.

I wrote my software so any body with and RS Media could control all area of the robot and more from a PC easily rather than having to use the arkward robot remote you get with the robot. I am about to release the version of this software tomorrow 24th December 2011 which you will be able to download from my website

www.TheMadRobot.talktalk.net

The software is not up on the site at the moment as I am just compiling all the relevant file for the setup. There is a video on my site I recorder last night which will show you what the software can do.(The video isn't very good as I did it in one take, but at least it will show you what can be done in the software). Also on the site ate the help files I have made for the software. Mike do you have an RS media or any other robots?

If you click the subscribe button on my website you will be able to be kept up to date with every thing I am doing in the RS media Control station software

Merry Christmas
Gerber (AKA The Mad Robot)

Mike Row
Mike Row's picture

Hi gerber.
Thanks alot for your reply.
I didnt know the RS media development had come this far.
This is astonishing! Yes i have an RS media, and an I-que.
Im trying to learn more about robotics, and software development.
But this is, crazy!. Last time i checked in here, there were not much more, than some new personalities. And of course the serial hack.

I kinda gave op on the serial hack back then. I think there was something about my RS media version, that hindered this. Not sure if that changed?

Im looking much forward to checking out your software.
Also, the Flite package looks interesting. I'd better read some more about that too.
(great christmas gift!)
I'll be sure to follow this post closely.

Merry christmas!

nomad
nomad's picture

hi gerber,mike and freddy.
gerber this is the second time you blew me off my feet,
whit your knowledge of programming,software,i wich i had 10 procent of that,
knowledge,i would be very greatfull to god.that thing you do whit the cell phone
if you have the time.i want that ,i have a nokia x6.
your place in heaven is set.merry christmas

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Mike and Nomad

Glad you both like the software.

Mike yeah lots of great stuff been done on the RS media over the last year. others on the forum are giving the robot AI and speech recognition which is really exciting stuff. Myself, I just want to make a easy to use interface that everyone can get the most out of these very powerful robot. I have only been really interested in robotics for the past year and have load of ideas I intend to add to my software.

Mike Said"I kinda gave op on the serial hack back then. I think there was something about my RS media version, that hindered this. Not sure if that changed?"

The serial hack can be done on all RS Medias no matter what version they are. The serial hack is the easiest way to connect robot to the PC. You can connect to the RS Media and control it thorough my software without the serial hack but it is a bit of a pain to setup. So I totally recommend doing the Serial hack.

For info on how to do the serial hack here is a link to another thread.

http://www.robocommunity.com/article/13016/Connecting-to-the-RS-Media-Li...

Nomad unfortunately the app for the phone I created only works on Andriod phones and not on a Symbian phone like the Nokia X6. Also to use the andriod App I created to control the robot your RS Media will need to have the serial hack and a bluetooth TTL chip install which I think you have already bought. If you leave you RS Media under the Xmas tree tonight Santa may do the serial hack and leave you a new andriod phone.

Merry Xmas
Gerber

nomad
nomad's picture

HI GERBER,yes i order the ttl ,but its lost somewhere on the way.
now i must wait, is it stil to come or to order it again.
new thing to learn, android phone.hohoho
thx

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi all

The RS Media Control Station V4.0 is now ready

To download it click a on the following link  www.TheMadRobot.talktalk.net which will take you to my website  then click download.

Below is a video to give you an idea what you do in the software.

Hope you like it

Merry Christmas
Gerber

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Awesome new software for rsm! he deserves it. been a very good robot. Thanks Gerber, you sure make xmas merry.

gerber
gerber's picture

ho ho ho merry Christmas

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Freddy

This is my Christmas present to all RS Media in the world and this is only just the beginning. I want everybody who has am RS Media to be able to use it easily with out the remote as I have always found the remote awkward to control the bot. So hopefully in 2012 I will have a look at connecting the bot to the pc using using an Infrared transmitter people won't have to do the serial hack so that everyone who has got a bot gathering dust on a shelf will get use if it.

Merry Christmas
Gerber

Mike Row
Mike Row's picture

Hi gerber.
I already downloaded the software. But unfurtunatly, i havent installed a serial hack yet, im having some trouble finding the right stuff needed here in Denmark.
I would love to see an easier way to connect.
(infrered, or just usb, would be so cool)

"You can connect to the RS Media and control it thorough my software without the serial hack but it is a bit of a pain to setup. So I totally recommend doing the Serial hack."

Is there any documentation or installation guide on this?

Would really like to try this out!

Best regards

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Mike Row, search for usbconsole by helibot in downloads, with a virtual com port you can use with Grebers aweome xmas gift.

Freddy

Mike Row
Mike Row's picture

Thanks Freddy.
I'll take a look at it.! perfect, thanks!

Mike Row
Mike Row's picture

Ofcourse there was bound to be a problem. Im running Windows 7 / 64 bit, the usbnet drivers dosnt seem to work on 64 bit.

I'll just wait a little more. Maybe someone will come up with something, like infrered, or an usb console for 64 bit.

I couldnt fint the bluetooth article by nocturnal too. That seemed like a cool idea, though.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

oops ,yep. I wouldnt hold your breath on any 64bit dev. And Infrared is from infront of the robot only and limited to the basic remote control commands and not capable of any of the cool advanced features. Definitly worth getting the $10 bluetooth chip and performing the serial hack for all the advanced features and future development. There are only about half dozen wireless hacked rs medias, you would be welcome to our minority group.

Freddy

Mike Row
Mike Row's picture

Thanks for the reply Freddy. I guess your right. I might aswell go with the serial hack to begin with. Im gonna need it sooner or later. Thing is ive modded my rs media several times. Some of the cables are kinda getting weak.
(the small band wires anyway)
But anyway, just have to be carefull! I'll see if i can find a way to order from the UK or so. Thanks again for the help.

And i would love to join the dev group on Rs media.
I would love to work on some chat ai on the rs media. Kinda like the zabbaware for PC. Or maybe join an existing team.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

double post.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Mike Row, Gerber has purchased the bluetooth chip on ebay uk. The ribbon wire is also available on ebay, I have had to replace mine already too.

Mike Row
Mike Row's picture

That sounds great, can you post a link, if its still available on Ebay?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
Mike Row
Mike Row's picture

Ah, perfect.
thanks alot!

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

These 12 pin ribbon cables are a match
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-DV6000-KOTL-E220709-AWM-20798-80C-60V-150mm...
theres another 18 pin ribbon for the lcd.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi all

Hope you had a good christmas yesterday. I am now full of turkey and will be eating turkey for the next month.

Mike said > I would love to see an easier way to connect.
(infrered, or just usb, would be so cool)

"You can connect to the RS Media and control it thorough my software without the serial hack but it is a bit of a pain to setup. So I totally recommend doing the Serial hack."

Is there any documentation or installation guide on this?

Would really like to try this out!

Last time I tried to connect without the  serial hack was on windows 7 64bit which was september 2010 when I started getting into robotics and the RS Media I have try to connect this way earlier this year and didn't manage to get a connection that is why I only now connect using the serial hack as the connection is simple and very stable.

The Non Serial Hack method
If you do want connect via the non serial hack method here is a link to a thread about it.

http://www.robocommunity.com/download/18185/RSMedia-USBNet-Console/

Below are the links to the thread about how I connected to the robot in windows 7 using the standard USB cable. It should be the same in Vista.

Start reading from Helibots post date 18th september
 http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17494/RS-Media-Fried-electronics/?page=2

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17494/RS-Media-Fried-electronics/?page=3

The one pain I found when I used to connect with the Standard USB cable is that before starting my software you always need 2 other bit of software running in the background aswell as explaind in the above links, where as if you decide to add the serial hack mod 

The Preferred Serial Hack Method
I much rather connect to my bots using using the serial hack method as it is a lot less hassle and stable to get a connection to the botBelow are some instructions I posted a while back on how to do the serial hack. 

Instructions to add the serial hack
1) You will need to open the robot and access the media board which is behind the neck under the shoulder plate. Below of is a picture of the media board

2) For the serial hack you will need to solder 3 wires to the pads Gnd, TX, RX

3) Next you need the USB-TLL model here is a link

http://www.robocommunity.com/article/13016/Connecting-to-the-RS-Media-Linux-Console-Port/

4) Connect the 3wires solder from the media board to the GND, TX, RX on the USB-TLL module

5) Connect the USB-TLL module to a usb port in your computer (Windows will ask for a driver you can download the driver from the link below)
http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

6) In your device manager there will be a new comport this is the one you will use to connect to the robot.

7) Finally open the RS media control station software and connect to the com port for the robot and you will have control of the robot.

Making the robot wireless via bluetooth
Making the robot wireless via bluetooth is easily done. Below are the steps

1) You will need to get the following bluetooth module

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Serial-Bluetooth-RF-Transceiver-Module-rs232-TTL-/280696760008?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item415ad4a6c8#ht_3373wt_952

(There are load on ebay just do a search for Bluetooth UART and make sure in the specs in supports 3.3v)

2) When you receive it the Baud speed is set to 9600 as default and will need to be set to 115200 so it will work with the RS media robot. to do this you will need the USB-TTL module to program it. connect the following pins from the Bluetooth to the USB-TTL:

Bluetooth module (GND) .... USB-TTL (GND)
Bluetooth module (TX)    .... USB-TTL (RX)
Bluetooth module (RX) .... USB-TTL (TX)
Bluetooth module (+5V) .... USB-TTL (3.3v) 

Connect the USB-TTL to your computer. Open Hyerterminal or teraterm and open the comport for the USB-TTL module with the following settings:

baud speed = 9600
data bits= 8
Parity=None
Stop bits=1
flow control=None 

next type in Hyperterminal AT and you should get the response OK 

Open notepad and type AT+BAUD8 copy this to hyperterminal then you will get the responseOK15200. The Bluetooth baud speed is now set to 15200

3) You will need to solder 4 wire to the media board pads GND, TX, RX & 3V (The 3v pad will power the wireless bluetooth module)

4) Connect the 4wires solder to the media board to the GND, TX, RX, +5v on the bluetooth module

5) Power up the robot and pair the Bluetooth module with your PC. (The pairing code I used was 1234) 

6) In your device manager there will be a new comport this is the one you will use to connect to the robot.

7) Finally open the RS media control station software and connect to the com port for the robot and you will have control of the robot.

Note:
You will need the USB TTL chip to program the Bluetooth UART chip in order to change the baud speed of the Bluetooth UART chip to 115200 which is what the speed of communication the robot need.

In the new year I will add the above info to a help file on my website also I may make a quick video to show how to do the serial hack as I have another robot which I haven't done the mode to yet.

The other question you mention was  I would love to see an easier way to connect. (infrered, or just usb, would be so cool)

Hopefully I will beable to get a usb infrared connection work as I have a USB infrared I was given a while back. If I do manage to figure out how to use this it means no mod will need to be done to the robot to control its masic functions. But to access the more advanced functions like the command line, file system and text to speech will still need the serial hack mod.

Hope this info helps.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Mike

For some reason my last post is not show properly. click on the view unverified comments as I think I have covered the info you are after.

Let me know if you cant see my previous post I made and I will put the info on my website for you in the next couple of days

All the best
Gerber

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Mike

I created a document on my website which explains how to do the basic wired serial hack and also to do the Wireless Bluetooth serial hack. If you go to http://www.TheMadRobot.talktalk.net then go to the help page there is a section called "How to setup a connection to the RS Media from a PC?" this should give you the info you are after to do serial hack.

Hope this helps
Gerber

Mike Row
Mike Row's picture

perfect, thanks again!

Mike Row
Mike Row's picture

Ah, got the website to work gerber.
I couldnt see it in Chrome. So i used IE instead.

thanks