RS Media Boots Succesfully but no Serial Communication?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
pt2091
pt2091's picture
RS Media Boots Succesfully but no Serial Communication?

Hi again,

So I've been trying to communicate through console with the rs media from a new computer and it just refuses to open up in a terminal emulator. I've be using the parallax usb convertor and I've had it work before on a windows XP machine. I'm right now using windows 7 and I've also tried using minicom on Ubuntu 11.10 (which I could use before but not now).

I might have accidentally sent 5 volt signals through the serial lines, but since the the boot up seems to work fine and the sd card boots up and everything, shouldn't the serial lines be functional? Would this prevent bluetooth connectivity?

Vader
Vader's picture

Is the light on the Prop plug flashing at all? It should do this as it receives data from the RS Media's serial connection. The prop plug is compatible with 5V signals, so that shouldn't have been a problem.

pt2091
pt2091's picture

Vader said: Is the light on the Prop plug flashing at all? It should do this as it receives data from the RS Media's serial connection. The prop plug is compatible with 5V signals, so that shouldn't have been a problem.

When I plug it in, it flashes red and blue, and when I send signals through my terminal emulator to the rs media the convertor flashes blue, but there are no red flashes when the robot boots up.

I'd like to add that when I sent the 5 volt signal, it was not through the prop plug, but rather directly to the board through tx and rx lines. 

Vader
Vader's picture

Hmm, I think it would be best to check your connections at this point. If they are fine then proceed to test the tx pin on RS Media's serial connection.

pt2091
pt2091's picture

The connections don't look bad, I'm not sure how to test the tx pin, just read it with a voltmeter (TX and GND)?

The reason why I've been messing around with the tx and rx pins is because i was trying to set it up with an arduino so that I could add some more features. I'm not to familiar with RS 232 serial communication, so I plugged in the RX and TX lines into the arduino and wrote some amateur code. When I ran the robot for the first time with the arduino, it did all the movements it usually does when it starts up, but there was no sound and video. I took out the arduino and ran it again, and it ran fine. I ran different codes and had many different setups thinking that it would be fine, but I guess I screwed something up.

If I send 5 volts to the board directly, everything would fry no? I'm thinking I sent data through the wrong wire...

I read later that you have to connect RX to TX and TX to RX, which makes sense but I think I might have not done it that way. Apparently this can crash the serial port? Is there anything I can short together to reset the rs 232?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi pt2091, Im not sure what your setup is like but has your bluetooth chip been programmed to 115200 baud? Also after the bluetooth is connected to serial pads, you can't have the USB prop plug on there at tha same time (unless you have a switch)keep them from being on at the same time. After you paired your bluetooth to pc and get a com port remember to set it to 115200, you can try connecting the tx and rx on the bluetooth together and you should get back anything you send over the console.
Freddy