iPhone App: Rovio Control (now supports Apple Watch)

107 posts / 0 new
Last post
iTommy
iTommy's picture

Hey, anyone else is suffering from laggy video stream in iOS6? I will submit an update soon to compensate this, add iOS 6 and iPhone 5 screen compatibility and the additional brightness and contrast hack.

The new update will increase video performance dramatically (at least below iOS6).

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Hello, Rovio Control 1.3 just hit the app store:

* Adds iOS 6 and iPhone 5 screen compatibility.

* Adds new settings for video tuning. It allows additional brightness and contrast to the video stream.

* Bugfixes and performance improvements.

Chibi
Chibi's picture

Congrats on the app update! I installed it on my 4s on iOS6. Unfortunately the video seems to be suffering as its now super laggy. Also the sound file menu is white with light blue text, making it unreadable. Maybe it's some rendering error. I ran the previous version just fine on ios6 with no problems. I tried restarting my phone, still the same.

The extra screen brightness adjustment is cool! Haven't been able to use much with the lag tho. :(

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Yes, video streaming in iOS 6 seems like broken. There are many reports from developers all around the world.

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Rovio Control 1.3.1 is live.

It adds ability to disable the fast video streaming which may lead to a gray screen in some portforwarding / network configurations. (But you should try the fast video streaming option at first)

RyanT
RyanT's picture

Hi iTommy,

I am very exciting about this iPhone app (Rovio Control), but I am afraid there will be another useless and hopeless!?

Because, I have this Rovio since last year, and I have not able to make it work via "Local network" or Ad Hoc setup config. or(forget about "Internet"!?). I also purchased several apps online like AndRovio, Robodance etc...but it useless, doesn't work at all!

So, How can I know (or find out) the Rovio and the iPhone is in the same wifi network?

iTommy
iTommy's picture

First of all, please make sure you are running the latest firmware (afaik 5.03) I dont support older ones.

Are you able to access the rovio config website with your iPhone browser? If yes, the app should also work.

RyanT
RyanT's picture

Thanks iTommy,
What latest firmware (afaik 5.03)?
Is the Rovio Firmware?
If yes, how can I install it to Rovio?.....Please HELP!

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Sure, download it from: http://www.wowwee.com/en/support/rovio and install it through the control panel.

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Did it work? If you still have problems, please contact me via email.

RyanT
RyanT's picture

Downloaded Rovio firmware 5.03 from http://www.wowwee.com/en/support/rovio.
How I install this firmware 5.03 into Rovio from/through Control Panel?
Could you please explain it (more details)!?
I am confuse!

iTommy
iTommy's picture

On the same site there is a great manual: http://www.wowwee.com/static/support/rovio/manuals/Rovio_Manual_(for_v5.00_firmware).pdf Firmware update starts at page 54.

RyanT
RyanT's picture

Hi iTommy,
It work now. But there was no control for the neck (camera position) of Rovio?

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Glad to hear that. To control the camera position touch the head like icon in the upper left.

RyanT
RyanT's picture

Thank you iTommy,
Could you please teach me how to setup and control the Rovio from (outside of the local network) the Internet?

iTommy
iTommy's picture

No sorry, since this thread is about the iPhone app, I have to refer to the manual or several good threads here in this forum like: http://www.robocommunity.com/article/14500/How-To-Set-Up-External-Access...

Chibi
Chibi's picture

Hey there! I was curious if there were any planned updates to fix the extremely laggy video in the newest version. I am on 6.0.1 and since the last update I went from ~30 fps to about .5 fps no matter how low res I set the stream to. As much as I love this app, it's become nearly impossible to use it the last some odd months. Would love to hear if you have any planned updates!

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Hello, this looks like a video streaming in iOS 6. Like others I also filed a bug about it. You will have the same issues when using the safari app. In fact the safari app lags even more.

crmfghtr
crmfghtr's picture

Confirmed, I have 3 Iphone apps, all still working but all have a lag problem, including Safari. I just hate OS updates

iTommy
iTommy's picture

True. I will post an update as soon as possible.

Netmariner
Netmariner's picture

itommy,

Was very interested in your Rovio app but read in the comments on App store that it has trouble running in iOS6. Is this true and, if so, has it been fixed yet?

Thank you!

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Hello,

I'm not sure if you read the post before your post: at the moment all I can say is that it looks like the streaming is messed up in iOS 6. All other apps and even safari lags more that mine does in iOS 6.0

As soon as I find something out I will update the app.

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Ok, it looks like I can add an usable iOS 6 video streamin in the next version.

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Sweet - finally got rid of the random static noise that could occur when sending audio files to Rovio. Phew!

vinnie
vinnie's picture

Great news about iOS6 and the sound files.
- what was the issue with the transmitted sound files? that one took you a long time to isolate.
- have you had any luck with a button to turn on the camera's AGC circuit?
- are there any built-in sound files that can be played on Rovio without the download? "yes" and "no" would be nice to have overlaid on the video feed...

Keep up the good work. Everyone that sees me controlling Rovio with my iPhone thinks it is "da bomb!"

iTommy
iTommy's picture

I'm still full of hope that apple fixes the video stream problem in iOS. What I did is more like a workaround it is not as smooth as the stream before.

I'm not sure what the issue causes with the transmitted sound files. Unfortunately, I had been glad already too early. :-/

It feels like it is much better now but it can still occur, but after a restart of Rovio the static noise is gone for quite a long time.

I had no time for the AGC but it is still on my list.

Yes, No, Right, Left and other Sounds files are also on my list. I'm not sure what you mean by build in sounds. Build int the app or build in Rovio? I don't think there are build in sounds in Rovio at least there is no documentation about it.

iTommy
iTommy's picture

Okay, even if Vinnie and I, are the only Rovio users out there:

:-D

Activating the AGC does now work, it looks like once activated you have to restart Rovio to deactivate it. Maybe I have overlooked something.

I also wonder if it would be a good thing to activate the AGC with the light button, since the light button is almost pointless with the unmodified Rovio LED.

vinnie
vinnie's picture

The light works great with the AGC feature, but it isn't always necessary, particularly in low-light like dusk. AGC makes the single LED headlight work great in darkness.

I don't think I've seen it shut off before, but it can be adjusted down to a low gain, which doesn't cause too much grainy video.

Since we can all build our own firmware now, I was just wondering if you knew how to use any ROM sound files that Rovio might have access to. I see pcm_out.wav in the project folders for the Rovio firmware, but don't have the experience to try and use it to play through the speaker.

iTommy
iTommy's picture

V1.5 will support the AGC mode. The problem with turning of the AGC mode by setting it to a low gain it is way darker as before. At least for my Rovio. And that will probably confuse users.

vinnie
vinnie's picture

I can't wait to try the 1.5 update. I just got the latest 1.4 update.

I suspect that you are correct, that the AGC might confuse users. I suppose you could keep it as a separate control. I suggest putting it in the "tools" section and include a note that it requires a reboot to go from On to Off.

How many levels of gain are you doing? Is it low-med-high?

Pages