RS Media - Big Problems

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
Linzoid
Linzoid's picture
RS Media - Big Problems

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me?

I recently bought a second hand RS media which I was assured was working ok. When I went to pick up the robot, the lady switched on the robot and told me it was working and said it just needed new batteries, the robot confirmed this as it said as much itself. However when I got new batteries and inserted them into the robot and remote control, all I got and ever get when I hit the start button is a small movement from the head and one hand followed by flashing eyes and 20 seconds of a ‘put’,’ put’ sound, (his eyes stop flashing after 15 seconds) after which it either says ‘Loading personality ROM’ or ‘System Check’. On the odd occasion, it starts a part of a message ‘Hi, I’m…….then it re-boots itself.

I have read the problems another member had with his unit, some of which sounds very similar to mine, so I tried the solutions suggested like laying the robot onto his back, turning his head to one side and waiting for the start up to by pass the point where his head needs to move and if it gets past that point to stand him up, hit the C and X button on the remote control to disable the eyes and sound, and try different functions to determine where the problem might lie. I have got as far as disabling the eyes and sound on one occasion but if I touch any other control it re-boots again. On other occasions while in his horizontal position, he has passed the initial point where he normally restarts (even without turning his head) and says things like ’X, Y displacement’, Stability Error’ and ‘Being vertical will help here’. But there is no consistency to the actions it makes or the messages it delivers.

I guess it goes through a start up procedure like the Robosapien V1 and performs certain movements before it stops but given that I have never seen a working RS robot, I am just assuming this is what happens. My unit has only ever got to the stage of raising his arms horizontally while speaking a part introductory message before re-booting itself.

I have taken the chest, neck and back plates off to see if I could find any obvious loose connections, I have even removed and replaced the head (this was a tricky little so and so to get back together!) and found nothing obvious apart from the two items marked on the attached photo.

RS Board

Item A is a rainbow coloured set of leads soldered to the board laying horizontally behind the head with a block connector on the other end, I have looked for something to connect it too but can find nothing obvious, can anyone identify this lead and what it’s function is? I have the disassembly instructions from the SourceForge.net site but the image on there shows no rainbow coloured lead attached to the board!

Item B is the block that holds the ribbon cable to the chest display. This was very loose as the hard brown material under the white connection block seems to be detached. I originally got the chest display to work by adding a layer of tape to the underside of the contact end thereby wedging the contact end in place. This worked ok for a while but now there is no front display at all, I think the ribbon has been bent too many times and is now damaged beyond repair.

So in summary, the robot has never started up once. In a vertical position it goes through 20 second of start up then re-boots. While in a horizontal position it sometimes passes the re-boot stage  shouts out random messages but is essentially non functional, plus there is a loose ribbon connection and a rainbow lead that attaches to nothing! Oh and by the way, I suspect a previous owner has looked inside too as I found a screw missing and other long screws where there should be short ones etc.

Thanks for reading, any positive suggestions would be appreciated

Linzoid

nomad
nomad's picture

hi linzoid.cable A is an original from wowwee its for connecting the rsm ,
to your pc or use bluetooth chip.i would take out B board complete and see,
underneed.

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi Nomad,

Thanks for replying, So cable A is no longer necessary? when you say take out board B and see underneath, what should I be looking for?

nomad
nomad's picture

you can use cable for rsmv4 then you have connection whit other bots.
underneed see if the connector is loose or burnmarks,wires that are trapt.
anything that says you this look not good.you have an special rsm whit that cable.i see some thing at the end off the cable.normaly there's nothing.only
wires.there's only about 5 members who has this .you can be number 6
rsmv4 is programm for pc where you can let your rsm speek whit other rsm.
and you can hear the other rsm speek to your rsm also movement,video,photo
alarmclock and later e-mail he will read your e-mail,life ai.
so dont remove that cable.do you have skype.if you dont get it its free.
then you can send pictures.how it must be done.it will take some time .
but in the end you wil be stunning of this very cool program.so did you see smoke or smel smoke from rsm.on the home page choose rsm there you find ,
answer and pic.you want to

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi Nomad, No smoke, it just repeatedly starts up and says different commands.

Where are the pics on the homepage you mentioned?

Where does one get replacement parts for the RSM if I find something faulty?

Does anyone repair RSM professionally?

nomad
nomad's picture

http://www.themadrobot.talktalk.net/
here the rsmv4 all info

nomad
nomad's picture
nomad
nomad's picture

for parts rsm you need a second one if the parts you have are not to fix.
i made a video i post it when it reddy whit one hour.
you can see i place it here so you can find

nomad
nomad's picture
Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi Nomad, Thanks for the info. I will look into links provided. If you think of anything else, just let me know.

nomad
nomad's picture

are you gonna use the bluetooth

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi Nomad,

Thanks for the video but I can't open it, it says its private, try linzoid107.

nomad
nomad's picture

ok linzoid.press right mous klik and see below if its blokt unblok there

nomad
nomad's picture

what is your full skypename or e-mail

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi Nomad, try You Tube linzoid107, or email lindzyh@ntlworld.com

nomad
nomad's picture

ok what you wanna do whit your rsm.just playing or something els.
did you find something on forum.

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

I just want to get it working to see what it can do. I haven't found anything on the forum yet.

nomad
nomad's picture

hi linzoid ,i send an e-mail to you .to see if we can make contact.
1 did you download skype on your pc its free and very usefull.
2 whit skype and rsmv4 + bluetooth chip you can check if he works on pc.
3 can you work whit volt- ohm meter,so you can test your rsm.
i will send the link for the bluetoothchip.

nomad
nomad's picture

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/280778521835?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksi...

here the link for the chip.if you want to give it a go. order 3 chip,
incase one is bad.for the free skype is good for sending pics and see video,
webcam so i can let you see.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey Linzoid,
As Nomad said, the rainbow connector is for connecting an external serial port, so its not meant to connect to anything else in the robot. Just leave it there - you may want to use it in the future.
For the LCD panel connector, I think this needs to be connected for the robot to function normally (not 100% sure of this - can anyone else confirm this????)
You could try putting a bit of paper between the ribbon cable and connector - this may help making it a tighter fit. although maybe this is what you already tried with the tape?. From experience I also know that you can press on the connector with a finger or screw driver to make a better connection - it works but hard todo - especially if the robot starts moving!!

It sounds like you have read my post about my issues and have tried some of the the things that worked for me. I would still guess that you are having a similar problem - when the robot tries to drive the motors he is resetting.
FYI - On startup when he says "Hi I am RSmedia..." he should then do a introduction movement of lifting up his arms , then lowering them , moving his head from side to side, doing a bit of a bow, then wobbles from left to right.
You also mentioned the "put,put" sound, I have also seen/heard this on robots that have bad motor drivers (ie some of the motor driving transistors) were drawing too much current.

If you find a particular motor that causes a problem then you can also try the trick to disconnect the motor from the gears. Many of RSMedia motors are held in with white rubberish straps that go underneath/behind them. You can unclip these and the motor can then be pulled back or pulled out a bit. This lets the motor spin without driving a gear - which may help avoid the high current and therefore the reset.
I suppose you could try unclipping all the motors and see if gets through the boot sequence, then put them back one at a time to find the misbehaving one?

One other trick could be to use a DC power supply instead of batteries, that may allow him to draw more current and get through the startup sequence??

>says things like ’X, Y displacement’, Stability Error’ and ‘Being vertical will
> help here’. But there is no consistency to the actions it makes or the
>messages it delivers.
The messages are designed to be randomised (to give the user a better experience of a real 'personality' :-)
If you get him to this point, press 'c' then 'x' and stand him up. Then try some individual movements.

Let me know how you go or if you have any questions.

Cheers
Helibot

nomad
nomad's picture

hi helibot and linzoid.
linzoid your on the way to see amazing stuf.
helibot thats a good explanation ubove,i didn know that.

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice.

Nomad, sorry but I have no Skype as my laptop is old and I have no webcam. What would I do with the Bluetooth cable if I got it anyway?

Helibot, lots of good stuff there to chew on. I have added a layer of tape to the underside of the ribbon connector and initially the front display was ok but since then I have taken the head and back off and in so doing, I think the connector has become damaged due to the difficulty in trying to get the conector to fit properly again. If this is so, can one get replacement ribbon connectors, if so where?

As for the DC power supply, I have been meaning to get am AC adaptor for another piece of equipment which has failed me so I will definately try that option.

If the prolem is due to bad motor driver transistor, can they be replaced or is it a case of replacing an entire board, again, where does one get replacements from other than another robot?

Thanks guys for the suggestions, if anything else comes to mind let me know and if I come up with any solutions I will do likewise.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi all and Linzoid

Helibot "For the LCD panel connector, I think this needs to be connected for the robot to function normally (not 100% sure of this - can anyone else confirm this????)"

Yeah I can confirm the robot will work with out the LCD connected.

It sounds a similar problem to the issue I had with one of my bots when I started it up. The problem had was I would start the robot up it blinked its eyes then would start to say something and when it would reboot. I mentioned the issue to FreddyA and it turned out to be a bad neck motor. what I did to keep then bot on was to unharness the neck motor for the neck mechanism. When I repowered the robot it stayed on and I could use it with other than turning the neck.

Below is a picture of the motor harness you might like to try and unclip.

You are very luck having a robot with the serial hack installed <i>(Cable A on your picture)</i> only a few have been reported with this pre-installed at the factory. I was also luckily as 2 of mine had the serial hack cables pre-installed which was like winning the lottery twice in a row. When the robot is working again you will be able to use this to connect and control it from a computer as Nomad mentioned with my software called the RS Media Control Station V4 (or RSMCSv4 for short). The bluetooth chip Nomad mentioned is a module that you connects to this serial hack cable <i>(Cable A on your picture)</i> and allows you to communicate and control your robot from a computer. On the help page of my website www.themadrobot.talktalk.net you can find information about the serial hack and instructions on how to setup the connection from a computer to the RS Media in various ways.

Before you go and buy the Bluetooth chips Nomad mentioned you need to get there robot working first and you will only need one

Hope this info helps 

Gerber

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi Gerber,

Thanks for the advice, tried what you suggested, pulled it out by degrees but nothing happened until I pulled it out until it was obviously not connected but all that happened when I hit the start button was a whirring sound from the motor and the robot shut down before it started. When the robot was off and I re-inserted the motor, the robot made some unsavory sounds but nothing else. I guess the problem is elswhere.

nomad
nomad's picture

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8357

hi is this the transistor.you mean.

nomad
nomad's picture

hi linzoid .if you by bluetooth chip some time. the wire is included.
now it looks like all come to desame time and can be hectic.
take notes.it will come .no webcam ok.but try the skype maybe it works.
place pic on forum,these tell more then mail or post.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Linzoid,

>If the prolem is due to bad motor driver transistor, can they be replaced or is
>it a case of replacing an entire board, again, where does one get replacements
>from other than another robot?
The drive transistors can be replaced. FreddyA and I have sourced some in the past. There are a few manufacturers. The part numbers are usually 2SD882 and 2SB772
Can get you more details later if you need them!

>I guess the problem is elsewhere.
I guess you are right. I would suggest to unclip/release some other motors and see if it helps.

Cheers
Helibot

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi Helibot,

Good to know the option is there if needed. I will keep on tinkering to see what transpires.

Thanks

Linzoid

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Linzoid, I agree with Helibot on a blown transistor. Look for signs of burnt electronics on the motor board. unplug the motors one by one switching the bot on to test.
About the LCD ribbon, the connector has the brown pressure clip that slides in under the ribbon after you insert it. Very delicate and hard to mickey mouse if you loose or break the brown clip.
Freddy

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi Freddy,

If I do find a blown transitor, can a replacement be found online or does the whole board need replacing (presumably from a second robot)?

As for the LCD ribbon, the brown pressure clip is very loose but it cannot be removed, however, the end of the ribbon connector does no longer make a contact to illuminate the screen regardless of how much pressure or how much I move it around, I think its damaged beyond repair. Does it need to work before the robot starts up properly?

Linzoid

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Linzoid, the transistors can be found and its also a good idea to have a 2nd RSM for parts if you can find one. The robot can function without the lcd ribbon and there are replacemet ribbons just takes some searching for it.
Freddy

transistor topic
http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17494/RS-Media-Fried-electroni...

Ribbon topic
http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/18105/Garcifer-Repainted/#49751

Edit: Links

Pages