RS Media - Big Problems

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi Freddy,

Just noticed a few cables with brown ends, is this trouble or just a discoloured adhesive, can't see this colour on any other cable sets.

Linzoid

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Linzoid

Most of my RS medias I have this discolouration you are seeing on the end of the cables connected to the boards. I am sure it is just flux when the wires were soldered and on my robots doesn't affect there performance.

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Hi Everyone,

My search for the problem with my bot continues, have not had much time to look at it lately!

In the past few minutes, I have just taken off the rear vertical board situated on the torso (as this looks ok) to take a look at the board underneath. The photograph attached shows what I found. A number of the black cylindrical components (marked A,B,C) are covered in a white powdery substance, much like the residue you might find on corroded batteries. The brass plate also had evidence of some liquid having settled there at some point.

Could this powder be the source of my problem, or is it a natural aging feature?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

I dont think that is your problem, from the begining your syptoms are of blown transistors. they are located on the motor board. the one that sits on top of the one you have pictured above. It may be hard to see if they are burned because of their position on the board and the amount of hot glue present on them to keep them from moving. If I remember correctly there are 4 or 6 lined up horizonal and I had to remove the hot glue to inspect them. Even then it was hard to see any damage becasue they are black. If you see even the slightest bulge or crack they are bad. In this picture you can see the crack in one and a slight bulge in the other. I had to replace 4, there are two difrent kind for each motor. I am almost certain your robot cant boot becasue of these being burned out. 

On the issue with your LCD ribbon cable, if the brown clip is loose it is not holding the ribbon securely. Slide the ribbon into place and push the brown tab under the ribbon cable into the connector. That will hold the ribbon in snug and make the needed contacts.

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Thanks for the advice, I will look at these next and let you know what I find.

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

Ok, just inspected the board and I have two banks of four and one bank of eight large transistors, all heavily glued at the base. When I get a magnifying glass to insect them closely, and if I do find any which need replacing, what advice would you give to remove the glue safely and how are they fixed, solder or are they a push fit and then glued?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

To inspect them you will need a good light and gently bend each one checking both sides. It's tricky. The glue I pealed off carefully and they are soldered in. You will have to heat up each solder point and gently pull at the same time carefull not to pull the trace off the board. If you are really good at soldering then you could heat up all three solder points on back and it will fall out if the glue is removed.

Linzoid
Linzoid's picture

If they need replacing, do I need another doner robot for spare parts or can these transistors be found elsewhere?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
Shawn
Shawn's picture

I have a rs media robot but i don't have the controller how do i get one

nomad
nomad's picture

hi linzoid and all,this is late responds,i seen this white powder on cars too.

from a blown part looks like the black bus on your pic.also the car had also white powder,

all over.and when i check that ,there was a crack in it.so i check your pic and i put red cirkel,

on,you see white turning line from white powder.remover the powder and see if its crackt,

underneed.

nomad
nomad's picture

MAZ
MAZ's picture

Having same problem rsmedia boots starts to say something
then this cuts off and robot reboots withe same fault.
have tried all the steps as advised any ideas>?
much appreciated...ps even changed out the neck motor...ps when disengaged the robot switches off completely...!

nomad
nomad's picture

check on/off switsh too.and clean all circuitboards whit,
electronic spray

MAZ
MAZ's picture

PS sometimes the robot boots completely but the sound has cut off and its impossible to change modes ie stuck in arm mode!
also tried to check circuitry but no obvious blown caps etc...help!

nomad
nomad's picture

check all connectors and wires to,and check soundsystem speakers.check batt.
use electronic spray.get out circuitboard complete and spray it on,let dry,
on the back are two circuitboards,take them bolt out and check backsides too.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi MAZ,
What happens if you lie him on his back and power him up? Does he boot up further?

>PS sometimes the robot boots completely but the sound has cut off and its
> impossible to change modes ie stuck in arm mode!
This probably means he booted up most of the way but then something has gone a little wrong and software has crashed and got stuck in a loop.

What do you mean by "ps when disengaged the robot switches off completely...!"

Cheers
Helibot

MAZ
MAZ's picture

He sometimes boots completely but the sound is CUT OFF and he finishes with the "end dance" routine....he is contollable in arm mode only /no sound
weird!

ps this is sometimes ie erratic..he usually reboots when arms are lifted back...ie eyes restart to flash and reboot

MAZ
MAZ's picture

really have checked most things ! not an electronix expert tho!

MAZ
MAZ's picture

Hi Helibot
what i mean by this is when the side motor is disengaged from the unit the bot boots and switches off completely, side motor i mean the one to the right top of chasis .front of left arm...!

nomad
nomad's picture

hi all,i think you can check wires whit an ohm meter to see if wires are not,
broken inside.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi MAZ,
>He sometimes boots completely but the sound is CUT OFF and he finishes with
>the "end dance" routine....he is contollable in arm mode only /no sound weird!
There are two main boards in RSMedia. 1) the robot board, it mainly receives the commands from the remote and receives button presses, and moves the motors. 2) the linux board, it mainly runs the sounds, controls modes, record/plays video, drives the LCD screen.
So your symptoms suggest that the robot board is working (as you can control him in Arm mode and he finished the dance). But the linux board is often crashing during or after boot (as the sounds are cut off and you cant change modes).
So its possible this could be caused by hardware issue or corrupted firmware.

If he is back together then please try booting him up while he is lying on his back, and tell me the result. If he is lying down , he wont do the startup dance or move any motors. So if he can boot up like that then it suggests a hardware issue. So he still cant start up then it suggests a firmware issue.

Also a few obvious suggestions:- make sure his batteries are all good (both the D size and AA ones in his feet.) Run it off a DC power supply may also help. Also for the moment remove the SDcard if you have one inserted.

Cheers
Helibot

MAZ
MAZ's picture

Thanks Helibot

I will try this step quite soon and advise!
ps any easy way to remove the damn hotglue gunk all over the boards?

I suspect also that the gear sprocket that controls the hand opening mechanism is defunct as sometimes this slips with a loud snap.

I have a spare robosapien gear that I will use as TIME is tight!

Helibot
Helibot's picture

>ps any easy way to remove the **** hotglue gunk all over the boards?
Sorry , I dont know any easy way :-(. It aint meant to come off! Any one else have any suggestions?

>I suspect also that the gear sprocket that controls the hand opening mechanism
> is defunct as sometimes this slips with a loud snap.
Actually the hand opening mechanism is driven by the motor that turns twists the head left /right. When his head turns to the right the right hand closes, and when the head turns left the left hand closes (or is it vise versa, cant quite remember!!)
I know that sometimes the head turn gears can also slip and make loud clunks, so you made need to check the head turn gears as well.
Was this the motor that you already tried disengaging and the robot wouldn't boot?

Cheers
Helibot

MAZ
MAZ's picture

OK so I basically stripped the RS media down.....wadda job!
I found that a small coil on the mainboard named 1R0 was damaged!
All the caps etc seemed fine
The group of 4 minature coils are all grouped together on the bottom right of the mainboard the rest are all numbered 221 of which there are 3 and then the damaged one 1R0.
As I cannot do mainboard soldering I am stuck !
never mind where to find replacement mini coil!! lol

anyone have a rsmedia mainboard and motorboard for sale?
be well

MAZ
MAZ's picture

PS just aheads up the gear sprocket WAS trashed Helibot! replaced that !
to no avail!

nomad
nomad's picture

has v2 such 1r0?

MAZ
MAZ's picture

nope!

nomad
nomad's picture

ok ,i have a bad circuitboard from v2.if it was yes ,i had solder it off and send,

Pages