RS Media sub woofer speaker noise, is there a fix?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture
RS Media sub woofer speaker noise, is there a fix?

Hi all

I recently got a used RS media from Ebay UK, all seems fine so far apart from a constant pulsing sound coming from the sub woofer, from what I've read at this fine place its a common fault? its not too loud but I'm thinking about selling it as I find it a bit annoying. Do all RS media’s make this noise, I would find it hard to believe Wowwee would charge £299 rrp for somthing making this  noise out of the box?

I do have a little robo tinkering experience and would be glad of any help with this problem.

Thank you

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Cheapotechguy

Welcome to the forum

I have a number RS medias and some of mine make the pulsing noise you are talking about. It is a bit annoying as you say but after a while you don't notice it.

The RS Media is a great robot with great power and has a lot to offer even though it does have a few minor design niggles. I have managed to control it over the internet and unleash some of its feature in software I wrote which is on my website www.themadrobot.talktalk.net . I have a long way to go before I have unlocked all its secrets in my software

All the best
Gerber 

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Hi Gerber
I've seen some of the work your doing with the RS, looks really interesting, you say you have a number of RS media's and some make the pulsing noise and some don't, why is that? and is there a fix for mine, surly your the man to answer that question.
This is my first RS, took me 2 years to find one at a price I could afford and I want it to be technical sound...get it?
Thanks for the welcome

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

When I said some I know 2 definitely have the pulsing noise not sure about the others will need to check. There probably is a fix but I am not sure.

I skill are not so much in the electronics side of the RS media but more on the programming side of the robot.

What the problem with the pulsing noise could be is electrical interference from the motors being fed into the speaker wires. I have found interference noises like this on other electronic device and when the wire is insulated or replaced with better or sheilded wire the noise goes away. This is only a theory in the case of the robot but may solve the pulsing noise.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

gerber said: Hi When I said some I know 2 definitely have the pulsing noise not sure about the others will need to check. There probably is a fix but I am not sure. I skill are not so much in the electronics side of the RS media but more on the programming side of the robot. What the problem with the pulsing noise could be is electrical interference from the motors being fed into the speaker wires. I have found interference noises like this on other electronic device and when the wire is insulated or replaced with better or sheilded wire the noise goes away. This is only a theory in the case of the robot but may solve the pulsing noise.

Thanks Gerber

Sheilding cables seems like a good idea to start with.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

If you do end up replacing the speaker wire with shielded cable let us know if it solves the problem. Hope this will solve the issue.

Cheers
Gerber

Vader
Vader's picture

Mine does it as well. The frequency and tone of the pulse appears to be related to the load on the processor.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Vader said: Mine does it as well. The frequency and tone of the pulse appears to be related to the load on the processor.

Yes its not an uninteresting noise, you can hear it thinking, just spoils the enjoyment for me a bit.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

I have noticed with mine that when he is hooked up to a power supply rather than being run on batteries he doesn't make the noise.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Mmm sounds like shielding speaker cables wouldn't work then, I have a multi AC adapter does RS run on +centre 6.5v ?.
I've just found out that I've got a snapped finger cable (not me the RS)

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

idrum289 said: I have noticed with mine that when he is hooked up to a power supply rather than being run on batteries he doesn't make the noise.

I've just used it with an AC adapter and it still made the same noise?

idrum289
idrum289's picture

I was going from memory, it may be the other way around. I'll have to get him out and give it another try.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

idrum289 said: I was going from memory, it may be the other way around. I'll have to get him out and give it another try.

Get him out? is he in cryo?

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Ha ha! No, just inside a plastic crate as all my bots are to keep the dust off them.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

nikssehagal said:

idrum289 said: Ha ha! No, just inside a plastic crate as all my bots are to keep the dust off them.

I have a  RSMEDIA, but the problem is that there is no remote control, which limits its options alot. I tried to check on ebay, but I only found the how "package" and no one sells the remote control separate. So does anyone know where to get a newremote control P.S.

What has the lack of a remote control got to do with this thread?

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi all,
I also have two RSmedia that have made this noise too. I think it gets worse the more load there is on the robot. If you have a robot with other prog\blems (like some blown circuits / transistors then the current consumption can be higher and the noise gets worse.
I notice that mine gets better if i turn the eyes off (ie press the X button on the remote).
I run my bot on a adjustable power supply, and I notice the sounds gets better or worse if I adjust the voltage slightly.
My guess is that its caused by noise on the power supply or input signal to the amplifer that driver the speaker, so some filtering capacitance, or a low pass filter may help?
Cheers
Helibot

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Greetings fellow roboteers!
The first working RSM I got sparked off this thread and lead me finally to join this place. Gerber was right in saying "after a while you don't notice the noise" in fact RSM bootup sequence (flashing eyes and pulsing sound) reminded and of a great 50s Scifi film called ,The Colossus of New York, here's the link to the scene I was thinking of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbyYc3-1Ro (very eerie scene)
I particularly wanted a RSM for it's sound capability's and when I heard that noise...well, but since then it doesn't spoil my enjoyment and rarely can you hear it over the media being played back.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

*UPDATE*

I've got another RSM! you wait 5 years for one and two come along at once!
The latest one DOES NOT make the pulsing sound, its completely quiet on bootup, there is some higher pitch sound but its barely noticeable, there does seem to be a compromise thou, its not as bassy, I've looked at the about menu info and theirs a five mouth difference in date between them, I donÂ’t know but I think they did some tweaking at the factory and may have turned the sub woofer level down to cure the pulsing sound problem.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Cheapotechguy, Congrats on your new RSM. Have you tried turning up the bass on your equalizer? Also curious is there a USBNet on your Media Menu?

Freddy

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

FreddyA said: Cheapotechguy, Congrats on your new RSM. Have you tried turning up the bass on your equalizer? Also curious is there a USBNet on your Media Menu? Freddy

Thanks

I've put the bass up full and it isn’t as full a sound as the pulsing one (still loud enough!) also I've noticed the equalizer setting only effects MP3 playback not video sound which is a shame as I do like my retro electro music vidz.

No there is no USBNet option in the menu, it is dated in the about menu as 21-09-2006a  the pulsing one is dated 09-05-2006b , you will notice I've used the UK date format, interestingly the quiet one uses the US date format so it reads 2006-09-21a but the pulsing one is 09-05-2006b format, I'm also noticing some other small differences which I'll enlighten on later. He's my new favourite.