Help request! May be a re-hash of a discussed problem, not sure

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
MAZ
MAZ's picture
Help request! May be a re-hash of a discussed problem, not sure

RS media powers up no problem goes thru its boot mode responds to commands for awhile and then powers down stating that it needs a recharge even if new fresh batteries are installed. Sometimes operates for a few minutes at random timelengths

sometimes powering down as soon as it has booted.

Appreciate any help from the members.....!

Thanks

< would a re-flash reflash of code help? etc etc...>

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello MAZ, try cleaning the battery contacts with s.o.s. pad or small metal brush especially the spring. If that doesnt help you might have a loose power wire so you will need to check at all the wire ends at the battery contacts in the feet and the electronics in the robots back. One bad (pinched, cut, loose) connection is all it takes. Hope that helps your problem.

Freddy

MAZ
MAZ's picture

Thanks
will advise progress
shall i post a vid ?
ps this was a second hand bought robot

I promised the kid i would fix............!
eeesh

MAZ
MAZ's picture

FREDDY yu are a GENIUS!!!!!!!!! it lives!!!!!!!!!!
dissasembled the right leg and fiddled..then pressed control and viola.NOW to reassemble.........
WELL done man!
wish i could redo the whole robot with new updated cpu...!
Mark T should re-design same in kit from for mad robot hackers. would be great!

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Good job fixing him, glad you got it goig. Too bad theres is not a update kit for RSM, but there are lots of cool hacks for it. On ebay there is a upgrade kit for RSV2 with some cool features that make it better than the RSM...

Freddy

MAZ
MAZ's picture

ROM CODE

dev id adcdef01
sp ver 2006-10-29a
sp ver ffce90912

r_wright1
r_wright1's picture

I am having a similar issue with an RS Media I recently purchased. He starts up, but usually within two minutes he shuts off after stating ?the batteries in my feet need replacing?. The batteries are brand new alkaline, so I know that?s not the issue and there is nothing visually showing on any of the media or motor boards on his back. I did a search on this forum regarding this issue, but I found none the post a solution. In the ?RS Media Fried Electronics? post it showed the places to check for proper voltage and on my bot its was low at several points. The Orange/Black connector shows only 4.5v instead of 6v and the Red/Black connector shows 8.6v instead of 9v. So it seems the power is not reaching the main boards at full capacity. I am assuming there is an issue in the legs, I believe there could be an issue with the board in the right foot but that is just a guess. Is there anyone that can explain the what the board is the foot does in addition to controlling battery versus power adapter power? Does it regulate the voltage at all and could that be the issue. I do not yet have a power adapter, so I can?t state what the robot does when on adapter power.

Freddy ? I saw that listing on E-Bay for the RSV2 to V3D kit. It looked interesting. Have you seen it function or have anymore insight into its capabilities?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello r-wright, have you cleaned the battery contacts? checked the wire solder points inside the feet? I would guess that there is maybe 1 battery cell not making good contact or a pinched, loose, cut wire - check for broken strands at all contacts. The power board located in the foot basically tells what power you are running on and should be ok. The V3D upgrade kit is cool and the MCU is more powerful than the RSM and the other parts to it are cool like the eye modd, I have the eye modd and recharging system done to my RSM and love it.

r_wright1
r_wright1's picture

I was able to resolve my power problem. I decided to start with the left leg and dissassemble it to see if there were any wiring issues. None were found. I then took my multimeter and measured the voltage at the AA battery leads and I got a low voltage reading at the source. Knowing the batteries were good I removed the top cover that hold the internal AA battery contacts. At that point I discovered battery corrosion on those terminals. This corrosion was not visable when looking up the battery compartment from the bottom of the foot. I cleaned off the corrosion with my fiberglass pencil and the robot now powers up normally. Some times you get lucky and the problem turns out to be something simple.