Rs Media not completing boot up

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Evie
Evie's picture
Rs Media not completing boot up

We have a faulty rs media which I have started to take apart to check all wiring.  I have it connected to power supply with no sd card inserted.  When robot powers on eyes light up and flash, wowwee screen comes on and robot says 'system check' something 'personality rom' and 'system check'. Control mode screen comes on but then goes back to wowwee screen.  Just repeats this over and over.  Speakers are fine, power is fine, screen is fine but that's where it ends.  Robot does do spontaneous movements on its own.  It doesn't do anything extra when any buttons are pressed on remote, and usb connection doesn't work either, computer finds error.  I have so far taken the head cover off and see 3 ribbon cables one of which has quite a lot of give, but I don't want to pull it too far.  Also have taken the front chest off, I see no problems there.  I'm an amature at this so just taking it bit by bit.  Could it be a software problem?  When robot does move there are no signs of any jerky movements.  Any ideas....anybody?

nomad
nomad's picture

hi i think you need to check each wires,whit ohm meter to see if any broken inside.
also check circuitboards front and backside.
batt house ,any,also good thing is place foto's here from ,
rsm is open.

Thehaag
Thehaag's picture

A friend plugged a laptop charger into my rs media... It now just says "my batteries in my feet need changing then powers down" it's a real shame.. Any idea if I can fix this guy? Or purchase a power adaptor? Tried the dicksmith version with no luck :(

nomad
nomad's picture

what!!!!! laptop is some 17 volts and rsm is 7.5 volt.
also the plug in in his foot is no charger.
but batteries needs to be in foot to use this socket.
rechargebles and then charger from 7.5 volt.
best change all batt.
you can use eneloop AA for brain batteries.

nomad
nomad's picture

also check batterie compartement if they are clean.wires and all

Thehaag
Thehaag's picture

What is the plug in the foot used for? Recharging the batteries??

Thehaag
Thehaag's picture

20V 6A out
240V 2a input

That was the details of the adaptor that he used.

nomad
nomad's picture

plug in in foot is just to work whit rsm,no charging.
7.5 volts is rsm
but there must be rechargebles in there to use the foot socket.
wel i think you need to open the rsm to check for burn spots.

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi
Putting 20v through the foot power socket os not a good Idea, as stated it should be maximum of 7.5 as far as i am aware there is no socket or allowance for recharging any batteries on the RS Media.
It is just a power option for owners to use if they don't own a Battery Factory.
and it has to be over 2.0 amps at least.
also if you got a power adapter from dick Smith you must be in NZ or Australia.
Cheers Curtainmaker

Thehaag
Thehaag's picture

That is correct Australia.. I'm guessing the wires are burnt out

Thehaag
Thehaag's picture

Would anyone know where to look for a voltage over load or do you think it's stuffed?? As it must do a check to see if there is batteries in the feet and something is stopping it for a successful check as it just keeps saying: the batteries in my feet need charging, all systems powerin down.

nomad
nomad's picture

you can try new batts.or open the rsm feet and chest

Curtainmaker
Curtainmaker's picture

Hi
I'm in NZ, and I think you will find that the robot is saying that the Batteries in my feet need changing.
Do as Nomad says and see what happens
Cheers

nomad
nomad's picture

we help you thru this.be patients .one step at the time

Thehaag
Thehaag's picture

Ill open it up see what is broken however I don't think ill be able to get parts for it...

Thehaag
Thehaag's picture

The real adaptor uses a 7.5v and 3.1A adaptor and the adaptor that stuffed it was 20V 6A... Maybe it's gone... Ill open it up and see

nomad
nomad's picture

see on ebay.us for a-is rsm.that an rsm for parts.
dont give up bring him to live.
or you can by working one and use this one for parts.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

If you can solder you can fix it, some unrelated stuff in this thread but lost to learn from http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17494/RS-Media-Fried-electronics/

But my though is that if it still able to boot to the point where its talking, then its in still in good shape enough to fix. Maybe check the AA battery compartment for corrosion