Cannot stand up or lie down.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
ccc
ccc's picture
Cannot stand up or lie down.

Hi, I just got a used RS Media that cannot stand up or lie down. When walking forward the torso tends to flop forwards causing the RS to fall. When it tries to tilt forwards or backwards I can hear a motor whirring but no movement from the RS and the motor doesn't appear to be engaged. All of the upper body functions seem to work fine.

I've removed the casing on the hips and popped out the bottom tilt motor. The gear on the end is not stripped and the motor works fine. Looking into the hole where the motor sits, I can see no broken teeth in the internal gears. I'm guessing this is a stripped gear somehwere else in the gearbox. Any feedback on this greatly apprreciated. Thx!

nomad
nomad's picture

did you check if gear on motor is not loose from the chaft of the motor.
try it whit motor in to see what happen and if you got right spot.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi, open the gearbox. If there is broken parts best way to get another one they are common. You can probably find a fit on ebay. or get a parts V2 to transplan the parts as they wear and break.
F

ccc
ccc's picture

Thanks for the quick replies. I took out the motor and confirmed that the gear on the shaft isn't slipping. So that leaves the gearbox.

Just trying to figure out how I could remove it. Do you need to remove the legs and upper torso etc to take the box apart? Has anybody else done this and posted a few pictures or could give me some guidance?

Thx!!

nomad
nomad's picture

hi guys, i have some gears from v2 left.place pic i send you the gear

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Its a job to get that all appart, I did it once a few years back and cant really remember except that I had the robot layed out in 1 million parts. So you get the Idea. Adventure and get to know your robot for sure.. Its got to be done so do it.

ccc
ccc's picture

FreddyA, Thanks for the encouragement

Nomad, that's a very generous offer thank you!!

I was able to get the gearbox out and I found two broken gears. One is small hip gear that had a broken tooth and the other one is a gear on the clutch in the gearbox that is broken in two pieces. I was thinking of glueing the clutch gear back in place on the shaft but shape of the break and the spring won't allow the space required to fit and glue the pieces together.

So if you have a replacement clutch with shaft and gears still attached and a replcement hip gear that would be fantastic!!

Here are some of the photos:

Lower Gearbox with broken clutch gearThe gearbox with the broken clutch:

The clutch removed from the gearbox:

Clutch removed from Gearbox

The small hip gear with the broken tooth:

small hip gear

The same small gear inserted to the larger gear on the hip:

small hip gear inserted to larger gear

nomad
nomad's picture

hey where sits 3 pic,

ccc
ccc's picture

Hi Nomad,

the small gear in picture 3 fits into the larger hip gear. Picture 4 shows the small gear from picture 3 inserted into the larger gear.

Thanks!!

nomad
nomad's picture

the two gears that comes out gearbox is little different.but it fit in yours.

ah okay,the envolope is reddy for sending.i put all gears in.blue one,

and 4 white ones ,i didn know 3 and 4 can be seperated.

ccc
ccc's picture

Cheers Nomad. Fingers crossed ;>

ccc
ccc's picture

Thanks to Nomad for the donor gears!! My RS is back walking again.

nomad
nomad's picture

yeach good job ccc.