RS Media help

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dezore
Dezore's picture
RS Media help

hello i recently got myself a rs media and because i could not wait to give it a go before my battries came i plugged it into the mains,  at first it all started up moving all over the place but now only its eyes light up for couple of seconds with the screen then a pppppp noise and a little thump noise from the speaker before it shuts down.  the head turned all the way to the left(as your looking at him) and seems to be stuck there now after alot of clicking before it happened.   i have removed the front cover and the neck slider bar is really solid and cant be moved manually at all.

I realize now that i used the wrong ac adapter so im guessing this is the reason its now broke.  

is there any fix for this or have i ruined it before i have even had a go lol.

I hope someone can help me as i was gived this as a xmas present from a family member lol.

nomad
nomad's picture

hi,see for burnspots on the circuitboards,and check all wires.
adapter is 7.5 volts for rsm.its not for charging only give him power.

Dezore
Dezore's picture

yeah i know it was not for charging it but just used any ac adapter i could find to try it out. i cant see any burn spots but then again i dont know much about electronics. lol

nomad
nomad's picture

hi,howmuch volt was the adaptor.burnspots are very tiny,hard to see.
use a loop .
there must be batt in to use the footsocket

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi Dezore, your neck mechanism will probably need to be released. You will have to take off the front and back cover( search threads for how to piccys) and either remove the springs on the front of RSM or better option remove both rear boards and get access to sneak gearbox and motor to release the over wound motor. Don't panic the folks on here are very helpful.

Dezore
Dezore's picture

thank you will try that. the adapter was 12v what i first used. i will search for some picture help too as not really got a clue what im doing here lol.

nomad
nomad's picture

dont worry,we dont eather.
lozweezy great post.
dezore if you can place some pics of your rsm.
here on site.more people will see it,the more chance for solution.

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi dezore, try this link see what you think in relation to your problem.
http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17457/RS-Media-Head-Stuck-Down...

Dezore
Dezore's picture

Dezore
Dezore's picture

just figures how to post pictures on here lol. as you can see the slider is stuck all the way to the left and it is not possible to move it. thanks for all the help everyone. does anyone have any links to show me how to take these back motor boards off and remove the gearbox?(if thats whats needed)

nomad
nomad's picture

you see two motors on the front. whit straps on.
the one on the left is for the sliders to chift.
unstrap it and take motor out and see you can chift it.
if you can chift it,boot rsm and see what happen.
good pics .

Dezore
Dezore's picture

nope took the left motor out so the little blue cog was not inserted anymore but still cant move the slider.

Dezore
Dezore's picture

oh but just did the right one instead and it released the slider and 4 little pins have shot up on the slider bar.

Dezore
Dezore's picture

ok so just booted him up and he said "system check the batteries in my feet need changing" lol they was brand new but could all of the failed boot-ups have flattened them? and do i put this right hand side motor back back now? or wait till i get some new batteries first and see how far he gets? i cant find the right ac adapter anywhere for sale on ebay etc (im in the uk) could anyone direct me to anywhere what sells them?

Dezore
Dezore's picture

im getting excited lol he had a bit of life

Dezore
Dezore's picture

i see now them 4 pins much have got trapped at the end of the bar what they run on as they was not up before and i can tell they are ment to make contact with it. no wonder i could not push it along before they was stopping me

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi Dezore, if your in UK. Maplin do a good adapter its the worldwide adapter. Its ?26 though it puts out 3 amp at 7.5volt, you can turn it down 6volt and your rs will walk about all be it attached to a lead.

Rob

Dezore
Dezore's picture

ah we have a maplin in the city i live too. thank you.

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Make sure you have batteries in his feet though and plug the lead into your RSM before you turn on the plug OK.

Dezore
Dezore's picture

? so you still need batteries even though your using a ac adapter? im not sure i understand why?

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi, your not using batteries the adapter bypasses the batteries but I have read somewhere on here that they have to be present. The only thing I can think of is the weight of them will keep him from falling over. Maybe Nomad can enlighten us both as to why.

Rob

Dezore
Dezore's picture

ah ok thank you that makes sence

nomad
nomad's picture

yeach good job and good post too guys.
you can test it whit motors out to see if they works.
rsm eats batt for breakfast -dinner-so use rechargebles and adaptor.

nomad
nomad's picture

hi,yes first rsm will fall over.but mainly it needs batt in for the negatif.
its an electronic device who needs like all devices an negatif.
its not connected to the ground like in a house.

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

See I knew he would know. Lol

nomad
nomad's picture

yes i know a little now,

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Dezore, when the bots head turns one way and then wont boot, then you loosen the motor and it works in one direction only then you have a burned out transistor from what I have seen. Also low brain batteries can be casued by corrosion inside the AA compartment. http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/16502/rs-media-dead/#57908

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Gail selling your site on a forum is bad form!!!!!!!

nomad
nomad's picture

lozweezy your 100 percent correct.