sd card

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
lozweezy
lozweezy's picture
sd card

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me the correct format for the sd card in the RSM. Its driving me mad. Now on my forth sd card make. I format it fat at default setting. Ive done fat 32, 512 bytes fat 32 default setting. I had a bit of success with just default fat as in the RSM will read it ish but writes rubbish to the card. Windows then cant read it and i have to fomat it again. Fast coming to the end of my rope with this bot and ive only had it two weeks.

Rob

nomad
nomad's picture

put empty sd in rsm and boot him up,let him do complete introduction.
then power off ,all files are now on sd card.
i think its FAT32
whats your plan whit this rsm

gerber
gerber's picture

Format the SD card to either FAT or FAT32

One thing to remember the RS Media cannot use SD cards bigger than 1GB.

nomad
nomad's picture

yo gerber,you learn us good things.thx

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi chaps, I have a 1gb card I have put the card in the RSM and let him start up. Turned him off waited for a minute turned him back on. No default personality and rubbish written to the card. Take card out back to laptop reformat with fat32 different byte allocation and start again turn on start up turn off etc. Just need to know the definitive format and byte allocation so I know its either the RSM or the new card or both!

Rob

nomad
nomad's picture

use kinston 1gb and be sure to let rsm go thru the hole introdution before,
power off.

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi Nomad, I've used Kingston sd's to generic always the same. Its corrupted two cards so they both cannot be read or formated in windows. Their size changed from 1gb to 2kb. Last night went from 1gbto 345mb then to 2kb. This is becoming expensive I have gone through five cards!!!!!!!!! I'm got one more left

nomad
nomad's picture

hi am sorry to hear.looks problem is in rsm.maybe best to refirmwire rsm first.
and http://www.robocommunity.com/download/17590/Original-RS-Media-Firmware/hope for the best.

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi Nomad I can't do this because I can't get the rs to read the SD card let alone run something from it. Thanks for the thought though

nomad
nomad's picture

do you have separt card reader for pc?

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

I don't Nomad no

nomad
nomad's picture

okay this is tuff one,then its strip the rsm and get the boards out.
one behind the head and one on his back.

nomad
nomad's picture
gerber
gerber's picture

Haven't use my robots for a while but you can try the following before stripping the robot down.

1) format the SD Card in your PC to FAT32

2) Make a directory called personality on the SD card

3) Download this personality form the link below

http://www.robocommunity.com/download/13505/RS-Media-Personality-Evil-Fe...

4) unzip the file and copy the contest directory into the oersonality directory on the SD card

5) Insert the SD card into the robot and switch it on

6) When the robot boots up it should be in control mode. Press the b button on the RS Media to switch personalities. keep cycling through the personalities until the new personality start. I think it will be the 5th one as the 1st 4 are the default robot personalities.

Another thing you can check is if any of the pins are damaged on the SD card reader of the robot.

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Thanks Gerber I'll give it a try. Just one thing about the format in fat32. What is the byte allocation?

gerber
gerber's picture

I never touch that setting just leave it as "Default allocation size".

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Thanks Gerber will give it a rattle after I walk my dog.He's getting grumpy. Lol

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi all either my computer is broken or the robot is. If i can manage to format the card and I put it in the bot it doesn't read it. When I put it back in the computer it wont read it unless i format it again. this is my fifth card. 1 robot corrupted
2 Robot will not read 3 Robot or computer corrupted 4 Di to. I think I have a bot with big issues.

Rob

gerber
gerber's picture

Next thing you may want to try is formatting the sd card on another computer if you can and do the same procedure as I mentioned in my last post. This will either rule out a faulty robot or fault card reader in your pc.

(Really hope it is on the PC side for your sake)

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi gerber, Make that six cards. Just taken my last card out of the bot and yes you guessed it. The card is now not readable and instead of 1gb its now 2kb in size. I tried the card in a usb adapter thing all cards show as usb drive but are not accessible and computer says i must format before use. yet I cant format window is unale to complete. AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

gerber
gerber's picture

Oh Bugger!!

I am not really sure what to suggest next. There are a few members on the site that maybe be able to help if you private message them:

Helibot - FreddyA - Vader

nomad
nomad's picture

maybe use an sd card from someone els whit files allreddy on them.

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi all, if I get another card. Could I make a copy of the internal memory and paste in on to the SD card?

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi can anyone give me help with above question? Thanks guys I know your busy.

Rob

nomad
nomad's picture

i think you can better send pm to diff guys here who's knows this.

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi guys, just to let you know I've sorted the SD problem. Took the not to bits again checked all the pins etc. Didn't find anything so rebuilt him. Anyway after all that he reads the SD. Go figure. New problem now, after a couple of sucsessful boots now I get white screen and no sound. I have checked all cables and ribbons as per instruction on here. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Rob

nomad
nomad's picture

great job lozweezy
put a personality on the sd see if he does that

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

My rsm SDs are FAT . Formating an SD shortens it's life so delete or just overwrite the bad files. Sometimes a file or two get corrupt and I just paste a backup and rewrite the suspect folder or even if severe the entire contents of the SD but I dont format unless there is a stuck stubborn file that wont delete. RSM usb tether is sometimes unstable on some pcs so use a sd reader if possible. Use a new 1GB $3 from ebay and put it straight in the robot from the package. Obviously make sure the RSM is off before insertring or removing the SD.
Hang in there with the bot, it's well worth the pain once you settle into or make a good personality and bodycons,add programs and make a good custom SD with a cool rsupdate boot file. For example, my robot boots with no sleep, runs clock and alarms in background, starts ppp, FTP and web server for IP connection. boots with the mac logo, then uses custom LCD graphics for control, arm and media mode.

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Nimad I have a couple of personalities on the card. After the white screen no sound at boot I can select a personality. But the have to go to media mode and turn up the volume. He only remembers the volume after a soft reset. FreddieA my card is fat 32 it seems the OK though. I've put rsupdate on it. I just got a lot of checksum errors etc then restart the bot. I've left rsupdate on the card and the bot just ran it again, so I took it off and now I get a white screen and no sound. Mmmm. Troublesome bot I know. I going to stick with it though....

Rob

nomad
nomad's picture

can you choose a personality whit remote B

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Yes mate, I can choose a personality from the remote by pressing B. I have default RSM, Bender and Psycho bot.

Rob

Pages