Part bootup problem

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture
Part bootup problem

Hi all

I've just pick up a RSM with problems, when he is switched on is head moves and centres and his eyes flash, the WowWee logo appears on the LCD screen and stays there, after 30secs he does his bowing and greeting movement but does not speak (totally mute), he will not walk but his eyes flash in response the remote button presses, he partly works from the remote with head and torso movement as-well as leaning backwards and forwards, I've tried him on new batteries and the contacts are clean.

Anybody got any ideas what can be done to get the big fellow going again?

Cheers

lozweezy
lozweezy's picture

Hi search the forum for how reflash original firmware. It sounds hard to do but I managed it and that should sort your problem.

Rob

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Cheapo,
I agree that reflashing him should help. There startup dance and some arms/legs/torso movements are controlled by the motor board. The sounds ,LCD screen and more complex movements are controlled by the Linux processor board. From your symptoms it sounds like the motor board is running Ok , but the linux processor board is not. So doing the reflash has a good chance of fixing him.

Does the LCD screen work? If it shows Wowwee splash screen and/or shows the Control Mode screen. Then is good chance reflashing the will fix him.

Regards
Helibot

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Helibot said: Hi Cheapo, I agree that reflashing him should help. There startup dance and some arms/legs/torso movements are controlled by the motor board. The sounds ,LCD screen and more complex movements are controlled by the Linux processor board. From your symptoms it sounds like the motor board is running Ok , but the linux processor board is not. So doing the reflash has a good chance of fixing him. Does the LCD screen work? If it shows Wowwee splash screen and/or shows the Control Mode screen. Then is good chance reflashing the will fix him. Regards Helibot

Thank Guys

I'll try reflashing him...first time for eveything!

PS  LCD screen shows Wowwee splash screen.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Cheapotechguy said:

Helibot said: Hi Cheapo, I agree that reflashing him should help. There startup dance and some arms/legs/torso movements are controlled by the motor board. The sounds ,LCD screen and more complex movements are controlled by the Linux processor board. From your symptoms it sounds like the motor board is running Ok , but the linux processor board is not. So doing the reflash has a good chance of fixing him. Does the LCD screen work? If it shows Wowwee splash screen and/or shows the Control Mode screen. Then is good chance reflashing the will fix him. Regards Helibot

Thank Guys  I'll try reflashing him...first time for eveything! PS  LCD screen shows Wowwee splash screen.

Update:

Just reflashed him with original firmware, sadly didn't fix him.  :-(

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey Cheapo,   Did the flash seem to work OK?   Has his behavior changed at all after flashing him?
You could try the version check utility from here
If it works and draws to the LCD that is good news. If so then let me know the results of what is printed. It may help tell us if there is any corrupted areas.

Cheers
   Helibot 

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Helibot said: Hey Cheapo,   Did the flash seem to work OK?   Has his behavior changed at all after flashing him? You could try the version check utility from here.  If it works and draws to the LCD that is good news. If so then let me know the results of what is printed. It may help tell us if there is any corrupted areas. Cheers    Helibot 

Hi

The firmware flash seemed to go OK according to what was displayed on the LCD 

"update successful/complete restart system"

There was no change in behaviour.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Cheapotechguy said:

Helibot said: Hey Cheapo,   Did the flash seem to work OK?   Has his behavior changed at all after flashing him? You could try the version check utility from here.  If it works and draws to the LCD that is good news. If so then let me know the results of what is printed. It may help tell us if there is any corrupted areas. Cheers    Helibot 

Hi The firmware flash seemed to go OK according to what was displayed on the LCD  "update successful/complete restart system" There was no change in behaviour.

UPDATE

Ran the version check He's  RSMV1

KERNEL VER IS
   RSMV1
ROOT VER is
   RSMV1
DEFAULT VER IS
   RSMV1
FINISHED

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey Cheapo,
Looks like your bot is starting up OK, he can read and run stuff from the SDCard, the LCD screen is working OK. So it seems something must be going wrong later in the boot sequence. Next we need to look at the messages output during startup.
I have a version of the rsupdateapp file that lets the robot start up but will also log all the info to files on the SDCard. Please download the file 'rsupdateapp_log_startup' from https://sourceforge.net/projects/rsmediadevkit/files/rsupdateapp%20versi... and copy it to your SDCard (make SURE to rename it to just 'rsupdateapp' and put it in the rsupdate directory). Boot the robot, let him run for about 3 minutes. Then turn him off, take the SDCard out and look at the SDCard on your PC. If you find new files called dmesg1.txt, dmesg2.txt and some *.log files then its worked OK. Zip these files up and email them to me (I will send you my email by PM). I can have a look , compare them with working versions and see if we can find your problem!!.
Cheers
Helibot

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi all,
I have been working ('off thread') with Cheapotechguy to fix his RSmedia problem but we are now stuck , so wondering if anyone else has seen this issue or has any further suggestions.
So far we know -
-On a normal boot it only shows the wowwee splash screen, then crashes before launching the program that shows the control screen.
-Using custom RSUpdateApp scripts we have checked that LCD screen works Ok. Also that the Arms,hands,torso all move OK. He can speak OK. And Remote control keys are received and processed OK.
-Trying to capture a movie causes a crash.

Things we tried:
-Reloading the software (its a V1 robot).
-We did a rsmdump and compared the files and file list to known good robot. (No important files seemed changed.)
-Examined the bootup sequence (all seems normal)

Ideas left:
-Add the serial hack so we can see console output as he crashes.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Or suggestions?

Cheers
Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Try swapping the two ribbons going to the media board. Also, check for creases on the three ribbons and try reseating them on the media board and the main board.
Freddy

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Freddy,
Oh, yeah good idea Freddy. I think two ribbon cables come from the head down to the Media board. And a third one comes from the LCD to the Media board. I guess the LCD one is OK (cos we have run some programs that draw to the LCD correctly).
But you should check that the ones from the head are correctly seated.

Cheapoguy, If you get the plate off behind his head (like i described in email then hold the head forward and get a good photo , then i can check if the cables are the right way around, and may be able to see if they are well seated.

Freddy , do you know if RSmedia completes booting up if either or both are disconnected? Can we try booting him up with one or both disconnected?

Cheers
Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Helibot, you are forgetting there are actually 3 ribbons from the head board. two that connect to the media board and one that connects to the board under the motor board. Then there is a 4th thicker 18 pin one is the LCD. My bots are still in box from relocating my lab but im pretty sure the robot does boot with the media board disconnected.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

FreddyA said: Helibot, you are forgetting there are actually 3 ribbons from the head board. two that connect to the media board and one that connects to the board under the motor board. Then there is a 4th thicker 18 pin one is the LCD. My bots are still in box from relocating my lab but im pretty sure the robot does boot with the media board disconnected.

Hi  FreddyA

Helibot has been helping pin down any operating firmware problems with various rsupdate's and log files which have not fixed the main problem so today 

I gritted my teeth and cracked open the RSM, my findings are, no serial hack present, all connections looked good and where all connected, I couldn’t see any problems as of components,

couldn’t see any burns or blacking, wires looked ok.

I suppose I could be missing something, but I’ve had a good look in good light and magnification.

One question I have is what do the three IC boards do, there’s the neck one, the large one and the smaller one piggy backed on to that.

I'm going to double check ribbon cables etc, his current state is, back and chest plates removed, piggy back board unpluged, from main.

Cheers all

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

I dont think there is anything wrong with the electroics. the 3 IC board are the main , motor and media boards. media has two ribbon cables from the head connected and the LCD ribbon too. the motor board is the one you say top piggy back. The main board has a ribbon from the head and a harness from the media board. unplug and replug all those ribbons and be careful with the ribbon push clamps they are brown and easy to break and then you're in trouble.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

after that try swapping the two ribbon cables from the head to the media board and power it on try the video record.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

FreddyA said: after that try swapping the two ribbon cables from the head to the media board and power it on try the video record.

Could you explain what this would do, Wouldn't the cables have different functions?

Thanks

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Testing by swapping them is to make sure that they are in the right place. If it fixes then maybe someone was inside the bot before you.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Cheapotechguy,
Try swapping the cables, its a chance they could have been swapped. You can also try starting him up with each cable disconnected. There is a chance that he will complete the boot sequence and then be somewhat functional. Obviously the feature that the cable is supporting wont work - but he may work more than he does now....and it may give us another clue to his problem.

Cheers
helibot

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Hi guys
I've had an interest time disconnecting and swapping ribbon cables, results were.
Disconnected bought cables, full boot! no record or playback on camera.
Reconnected left cable viewed from back (media board) part boot no voice limited head and torso movement (original fault)
disconnected left cable, Reconnected right cable, full boot no video memo recording just green screen on LCD.
So the problem seems to be with the camera function but I did get "Tracking" from RSM.
I was surprised mp3 and video playback from SD worked, so he's 95% ? working with left ribbon cable disconnected which I'm pretty pleased about.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Brian,
Excellent progress!! Its likely that one of the wires in the left cable (from the camera?) is not connecting correctly. Try inspecting the left cable and its connector very carefully. Make sure its seating in correctly. Make sure the white and brown parts of the connector are not cracked or broken. You can try holding in or pressing down on it with your finger and see if it boots OK. You could try putting a piece of thin paper or tape between the top of the ribbon cable and the connector - help it get a snug fit.

Next , if you have a Multimeter you can try buzzing out each wire in the ribbon cable to make sure there are no breaks - Of course you have to get to the other end of the cable for that - which means pulling apart the head. The head comes apart easily, but its trickier to put back together, watch very carefully as you pull it apart , so you know how it goes back together.
I am not sure if anyone has done a post about how todo head reassembly? Try a search for it.

>I was surprised mp3 and video playback from SD worked, so he's 95% ?
It seems that only the video camera input is lost when you disconnet the left cable, but video and sound playback doesnt need the video camera part, the linux board does all the work.

Cheers
Helibot

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Helibot said: Hi Brian, Excellent progress!! Its likely that one of the wires in the left cable (from the camera?) is not connecting correctly. Try inspecting the left cable and its connector very carefully. Make sure its seating in correctly. Make sure the white and brown parts of the connector are not cracked or broken. You can try holding in or pressing down on it with your finger and see if it boots OK. You could try putting a piece of thin paper or tape between the top of the ribbon cable and the connector - help it get a snug fit. Next , if you have a Multimeter you can try buzzing out each wire in the ribbon cable to make sure there are no breaks - Of course you have to get to the other end of the cable for that - which means pulling apart the head. The head comes apart easily, but its trickier to put back together, watch very carefully as you pull it apart , so you know how it goes back together. I am not sure if anyone has done a post about how todo head reassembly? Try a search for it. >I was surprised mp3 and video playback from SD worked, so he's 95% ? It seems that only the video camera input is lost when you disconnet the left cable, but video and sound playback doesnt need the video camera part, the linux board does all the work. Cheers Helibot

Thanks Helibot

Gulp...looks like I'm going to need to get the head apart some time soon as I don't see any problem with the cable or connector.

Cheers

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

I still say swap the left and right ribbon cables and try the video record to rule that out first before going deeper.

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

FreddyA said: I still say swap the left and right ribbon cables and try the video record to rule that out first before going deeper.

Tried swapping cables FreddyA no video record or playback, but I did get full boot.

I've done some more testing with both ribbon cables disconnected. He has hearing and flinch response and tracking, so I'm not sure what either of these cables do, connecting the left one from the back (media board) stops full boot, the one on the right doesn't make any diff connected or disconnected.

I've made some corrections to my post above.

Thank you

Cheapotechguy
Cheapotechguy's picture

Update
I opened the head and again couldn't see any obvious faults, everything connection and looked ok, I did a continuity test on the ribbon cables as best I could and they were all fine, I think I've spent enough time on this one so I've left the offending ribbon cable disconnect and put it all back together, just the camera does not work (no big deal) I've tested everything else and it all works, so its a lot better than it was, thanks to all who help me with this.
Cheers