MiP Robot

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
EddyP123
EddyP123's picture
MiP Robot

Hi 

I am looking at buying the new MiP Robot http://www.red5.co.uk/mip.aspx that has just been released in the UK last month. Has anybody got any thoughts on what it can do on how it handles? How good are its gestures and MiP's personality? 

I read somewhere that it can carry things as well, what can it carry?

Thanks 

Ed

gerber
gerber's picture

The Mip is a really nice robot. Very tempted to get one of these myself. I was also looking at the Sphero V2. I really like them both because due to open source platform for software development.

gerber
gerber's picture

I've done some searching and is found no info on the weight it can carry but found lots of videos on youtube of it carrying apples, another mip and a bunch on other stuff. Looks like a really cool robot and I was very temped but as Wowwee have not released the SDK for it yet I will be getting Sphero V2.0 as I can see loads of potential from a software developers and hacking point of view without having to open the inside of the robot.

I'm going to get a Sphero V2 in the few weeks and make a programming interface in the software I am currently working on.

Pilgrim
Pilgrim's picture

Ed, i just got mine yesterday, and i'm impressed favorably with it's abilities.
It is well constructed and seems durable, It can carry a lot of weight. I put a large 3 D cell flashlight(torch, for you UK guys) on it that weighs much more than MIP itself, and it could take a lot more i think.
It's not as chatty as some, but has cute gestures it uses sparingly. It has very good control with the IOS app. and really neat stuff to play with. Without the app, this robot would be boring quickly.
It does have a problem keeping upright at times, it does make mistakes and falls over, and it will not right itself, you have to pick it back up and restart it.
It does not do well on a rough surface, even carpeting proves a challenge for it
My only big complaint is it is not larger. Of course they made it small to keep the cost down, but i would pay a lot more to have a larger one.

EddyP123
EddyP123's picture

Hi

Thanks for all your feedback, it is much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Ed.

roschler
roschler's picture

Pilgrim said: Ed, i just got mine yesterday, and i'm impressed favorably with it's abilities. It is well constructed and seems durable, It can carry a lot of weight. I put a large 3 D cell flashlight(torch, for you UK guys) on it that weighs much more than MIP itself, and it could take a lot more i think. It's not as chatty as some, but has cute gestures it uses sparingly. It has very good control with the IOS app. and really neat stuff to play with. Without the app, this robot would be boring quickly. It does have a problem keeping upright at times, it does make mistakes and falls over, and it will not right itself, you have to pick it back up and restart it. It does not do well on a rough surface, even carpeting proves a challenge for it My only big complaint is it is not larger. Of course they made it small to keep the cost down, but i would pay a lot more to have a larger one.

Can you list one or two of the best things it can do with the app?

Pilgrim
Pilgrim's picture

Just being able to drive it around is great, the control is smooth.

EddyP123
EddyP123's picture

How responsive is the robot when using the app to control it? Is there a lot of lag?

I'm about 90% that I'm going to pick one up, but I just want to hear more from those with hands on experience!

Pilgrim
Pilgrim's picture

A small amount of lag, but not bad at all. It really is surprisingly quick on the controls.

EddyP123
EddyP123's picture

Awesome. Appreciate the advice.

This badboy is getting ordered!

JayMcBee
JayMcBee's picture

Sounds pretty cool -
Still waiting for the SDK, though.

Just thinking of all the nice stuff you could do with it..

Macmutt69
Macmutt69's picture

Got mine today, it's great, and i found out a little safety tip you can do to prevent MiP from getting cracks or scratched up if he falls forward or backwards.
The box comes with black foam rubber adhesive to put on the carrying tray for extra grip for stacking, i cut up what was left into custom sizes and shapes and put some between MiPs eyes and on the top of the rear torso or battery box, those are the two places he hits when he falls forward or backwards.
Otherwise PHENOMENAL BOT, i haven't liked or enjoyed a WowWee bot this much since RS-Media and Robosapien V2.....i hope you enjoy yours when you get it.

epajet
epajet's picture

I am wondering if anyone else has come across this issue with their MIP.We are on our second MIP.The robot operates very smoothly at first but at some point, within a day for us, it starts to vibrate quite noticeably and generates a fair bit a noise from the lower motorized section. It sounds like gears not meshing well or a motor not turning smoothly. The robot still functions properly but there is a marked difference in operation. At it's rather high price I would expect a much higher quality product. Clearly something in the lower section is not up to the task.Wowwee has responded to my first inquiry but so far remain silent about the second MIP. I believe it is a design or manufacturing issue. I highly doubt the wheel breaings would go out that fast but I suspect the brushed motors are of poor quality. 

robobala92
robobala92's picture

Hi, I have a MiP and I am currently using 4 x AAA 1.5 V Alkaline batteries. This provides 6 V to the MiP. I am thinking of buying a MiP Recharge Kit(http://store.wowwee.com/mip-robot/mip-recharge-kit.html). I heard that the Kit consists of LiPos  and that it would make MiP slower/less responsive. Is that true?  What is the voltage supplied by the Kit? Is it less than 6 V?