So I have this silver RS v2, and others - restoration advice?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
nerfgun
nerfgun's picture
So I have this silver RS v2, and others - restoration advice?

Hey. I figured this was the place to ask this.I have a couple of old WowWee robots. A white RS v1, a white RoboRaptor and a silver RS v2. I've had them forever but due to dumb circumstances never got the time I had envisioned to tinker/mod them. Recently hauled them all out to do a check.I just tested out the RS v2 after many years in storage and he woke up and spoke a few words, but then seemed like he had a disconnect (died at the left arm 'stretch'; can be woken up again briefly by flexing the chest casing). I understand this is pretty common for this model after a few searches. Clearly the wiring needs an update.What I'm asking is -- I'd like to get him moving again, and I don't mind getting some proper wiring and soldering some bits, but is this worthwhile? or do these models have other issues that make this a bit of a waste? Also, apparently these are rare now? I might sell him if I decide it's not worth restoring. But I like the challenge, IF they are restorable, and don't have some other issue I don't know about like popped capacitors, or whatever. Otherwise I'll sell him for parts. Would be a shame though, it still is a really cool toy even 10 years later and it seems as if nothing has come along to replace it really.Anyways, any advice you could give a recent returnee to the RS scene would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kartooo
kartooo's picture

it's only the wires from the feet to the board. the insulation just flakes off. i have done three. takes about 9 hrs, quicker after a few and you get a system. most of them are about the same length. i never bought any connectors just wire and shrink tubes. do one at a time and leave a small stub of wire to solder your new wire to. it's a challenge but rewarding when you turn it on and all works !! in workng order with remote they fetch around $150 on e bay. 1/2 that or less if broken. there are a few videos on you tube documenting the procedure. there is also a guy in FL named Tony that rewires them for fee plus shipping. send me a PM and i'll give you his e mail

kartooo
kartooo's picture

this link is a you tube video on how to rewirehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gnIkmqXROgthis link is a schematichttp://www.evosapien.com/robosapien-hack/nocturnal/RoboSapienV2/ 

nerfgun
nerfgun's picture

thanks very much kartooo, that's helpful.