CHIP: Firmware opportunities to Chip & App - Adding a worthy product accessory

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
CaptainBoom
CaptainBoom's picture
CHIP: Firmware opportunities to Chip & App - Adding a worthy product accessory

Hi Robot Communitty, I'm entering this feedback in an effort to address some opportunities that would extend your robot Chip's use, enjoyment and lifecycle. My 16 month year old son LOVES this toy. He is a bit rough, but then better a robot dog than a little dog. If he breaks Chip, I will be buying him another one. Below is a list of some experiences we have had, and I wanted to share some thinking on how to enhance / improve the existing Chip platform without forcing upgrades to the current model. For the love of god - please:An easy firm update worthy of everyones interest. Voice command for "Go To Sleep". So EVEN WHEN the battery is full, the dog will go to sleep immediately, and leave us humans the ability to also go to sleep. Say = "Go To Sleep" = The dog goes to sleep.  How hard is that? right now, Chip keeps us up 30min each night. There is no good reason for this. Yes we leave Chip on all the time. We like him. Opportunity If Chip Does Learn His Surroundings:Another firmware update might also improve the USE of the weak sensors. I was shocked to see Chip run into things, and I secretly hoped Chip would map out it's surroundings, when it goes wandering. No such luck, instead Chip aimlessly struggles to move short distances around the house. It would be awesome if Chip could use the charge pad as the reference point as he continuously records his surroundings. Better yet, make the app capable to for human mapping - by draw blocks, to symbolize general areas of the house. Living Room + Hall Way, and maybe one kids room. What else does it need to know? Basically three areas. Trial and error to perfect your Dog's area of play.  May I suggest?  New Product Accessory:Ceiling mounted battery powered infrared laser light, with Solar power charging (charged via your home's regular interior lights) = Gives an invisible beam of light on the floor that Chip will recognize. "THIS SPOT is for me to sit by my owners, when they are watching TV, or when I'm inactive". Using the charge station and this LaserLight as two constant beacons - Chip can always ascertain his navigational references to sync his internal map. Chip could use the existing APP to store that critical MAP data about his surroundings. Right? Why not use the phones CPU power to process location awareness? and mapping algorithm? Just saying... this little Chip could be enhanced greatly by selling Upgrades inside the App store. = Map your home now only $75!....  I'd pay for that!  Opportunity If Chip Doesn't Learn:If Chip is not actually capable of learning his surroundings... then maybe offer several infrared laser pointers, that help owners identify safe zones for Chip to navigate freely with less concern about ramming into things. A set of 5 Ceiling mounted battery operated solar charged infrared laser pointers = now only $99. "Discreetly Stick these to the ceiling of your living room / hallway / kids room, and Chip will always now the safest path to play in". (White domed shaped adhesives, with a little black lens for the laser light to shine through) The infrared lights, hit the floor creating markers, and yet remains invisible to the owners eyes even in darkness.  Each of these devices - have 1 3 4 5 6 setting.  1 Setting is a hallway (rectangle 8 x 4) otherwise 3 4 5 6 represents the diameter around the laser beacon = "The safe zone".  Childs room = Beacon in the empty floor space - setting is 3   (3 foot diameter safety)Living room = Beacon in the empty floor space - setting is 6   (6 foot diameter safety)There is another beacon - this one in the hallway. Chip can see this one from both child's room and living room, the setting is 1. Chip understands this is the bridge (Corridor) between the rooms 8 X 4 region is safe for transit. Just some sincere friendly thoughts, All the best Captain Boom

CaptainBoom
CaptainBoom's picture

Hmm... that looked a lot more better organized when I typed it. What happened?