Restoring bootloader for RSMV1 and RSMV2

1 post / 0 new
Helibot
Helibot's picture
Restoring bootloader for RSMV1 and RSMV2

Hello all,

Over the past year or two I have had a few requests to assist with using bootstrap mode to restore the bootloader for 'dead' RS Media robots.

Instructions for this were posted a long time ago in this thread, but there were some files missing.

Also it seems that the previous process does NOT work if your PC is using Windows 10 (or possibly Windows 8 or 7 too)

So I have created a new archive with all the required files and updated instructions for Windows 10 (and 8 or 7).

Please download the archive from http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsmediadevkit/files/RSM%20Firmware/Bootloader_Reload.zip/download.

The instructions below are included in the archive too (but only as a .txt file, so they are actually easier to read here....

How to use BootStrap mode to reload the bootloader into RSMV1 or RSMV2

Prerequisites
  • You will need the serial hack setup
  • You will need to be able to solder wires or create a solder link on J15 on the media board of the robot.
  • Download the files needed from this location
The archive comes with three Bootloaders, one for RSMV1, one for RSMV2_16M (also the correct version if you have upgraded a RSMV1->RSMV2) and RSMV2_32M. You should know which version of RS Media you have before you start. If you dont know try bootloader_RSMV2_16M as it should work on all three variants of the RS Media.

Summary of the process
  • Solder the bootstrap pin on J15 (or solder on wires and a switch or solder on wires and pins and use a jumper)
  • Boot robot with serial port attached to PC and type 'a'. Response is ':'
  • Send a runnable bootloader file to the serial port
  • After files finishe sto send you should get a menu
  • Choose '0' programming menu
  • Choose '0' program bootloader
  • Use USB to transfer the RSMV2 bootloader image (yes I did mean USB)
  • Bootloader should be flashed
  • Reboot robot and boot normally

Details of the process

You will need to pull apart your RSMedia and look for a pad on the bottom of the media board. It will be labelled J15. There are two pads on the jumper.
I suggest you solder two wires onto the pads. Shorting/joining the two wires together will force 'bootstrap' mode.

Start your Serial Terminal program (I suggest using TeraTerm for Windows)
Set the serial port to speed 115200.

Join the two pads on J15 to force the robot to start in 'Bootstrap' mode.
Power up the robot and press 'a' or 'A' on the PC keyboard.
The response should be ':'
You are now in bootstrap mode. To use this mode you need to send a file with 'B-records' to the serial port.
   (You can try 57600 if 115200 doesnt work)
Use Tera term 'File:SendFile' to send a file to the RSMedia. Select the file 'Boot_b.txt'
   (For my serial port I also needed to set a line delay of 1ms when configurring the serial port.  You may or may not need this)
Wait for send window to disappear. It may take a few more seconds of lines being shown then you should now see a menu.
   (If it seems to lock up then you likely need to try a transmission delay and /or 57600 speed)
Pres 0 then 0 you should see this:

Nocturnal's RS Media BootLoader - Ver 0.5 (22/09/2007)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flash EEPROM : Manufacturer ID = 0x00C2, Device ID = 0x22BA
NAND Flash : Manufacturer ID = 0xEC, Device ID = 0x76, MultiPlane = 0xC0
MC9328MXL CPU : Silicon ID = 0x00D4C01D
RS Media : Device ID = 0xABCDEF01

-+= Main Menu =+-
0. Programming Menu
1. Boot Menu
2. Memory Menu
3. Other Options
4. Boot
   Please enter selection -> 0

-+= Main Menu =+-
0. Program Bootloader
1. Program Kernel
2. Program Root-Disk
3. Program System-Disk
4. Program New Logo
5. Program All
6. Return to Main Menu
   Please enter selection -> 0

USB drive ready for transfer. 

Now connect USB cable from RSMedia to the PC
A new USB disk drive should appear.
  • In WindowXP or 7 it should be quite quick (10 - 20 seconds??).
  • In Windows 8 or 10 it can take a longggg time (literally 3-5 minutes) and it may state the USB device cannot be started. But be patient, it did eventually always come up for me!!)

If you are using Windows XP (or maybe Windows 7) you can use explorer to copy the image bootload_RSMXX to the new USB drive on the computer. Then eject the Drive in windows.

If you are using Windows 8/10 then close the window that may popup up showing you the new drive.
Open a DOS command prompt (Press ALT+R and type cmd <return>) and use these commands 
**IMPORTANT my drive number is g: , if yours is diifferent then change g: to the drive letter on your system**

rmdir g:\"System Volume information" /S /Q
  copy bootloader_RSMXX g:\
Where bootloader_RSMXX is one of the files included in the downloaded archive.

Now on the PC goto File Explorer. Make sure the RSMeida USB drive is NOT selected. We do NOT want Explorer to look at the files in the drive.
Instead in the left hand pane, right click on the drive icon and choose "Eject".
  (In Windows 8/10 if you use Explorer to look at the removable drive then it will automatically create extra system/hidden files that WILL make the flash not work correctly.)

Output should look like this:

USB drive ready for transfer.
Unknown command : 0xUnknown command : 0xUnknown command : 0xUnknown command : 0xUnknown command : 0xUnknown command : 0xUnknown command : 0xUnknown command : 0x
File transfer completed.

File Size : 0x00020000
Erasing EEPROM... Complete.
Copying Bootloader from RAM to Flash... Done.
Verifying Bootloader...
Error at 0x10020001 RAM = 0xF1 EEPROM = 0xFF
Verify Complete...

In Windows 10 you may see the 'Unknown command : 0x' repeated 10-15 times before it works and the drive is recognised!!!!
Dont worry about the 'Error at 0x10020001' This will always be shown, but it is expected.

Remove the J15 link (either disconnect the wires or unsolder the link between the two pads).
And restart the robot, if all went well you should see the normal boot process on the serial port.
If flash failed, you will likely see nothing on the serial port and a white screen on the RSMedia.

If you want to test the flash BEFORE you remove bootstrap mode , then  reboot the robot, press A and see : then use 'File:SendFile' and choose file 'call_bootloaderb.txt'.  If the bootloader is correctly in place this should cause the robot to start booting normally. If it works then power down the robot, remove the J15 liank and you should be good.

Now the disclaimer.... The above porocess worked for me multiple times, but I cant guarantee it works for you....especially on Windows 10. If you have trouble please contact me and I will try to assist.

Helibot