RS Media Fried electronics

90 posts / 0 new
Last post
gerber
gerber's picture

Hi again

What boards need to be connected at minimum to allow the robot to show any signs of life? in other words can I leave boards on the good robot unconnected before turn on the robot (for example can I leave the media board unconnected as helibot suggested, or maybe the lcd display board.) what is the bare minimum I can have connected to show signs of life? does the RS media need all the boards connected to power up?

I haven't opened the head yet. Is there a board in the head and do I need to check that one?

Is it possible it could may be a wiring problem or maybe a problem with one of the ribbon cables?

As the good robot is my 10year sons who is profoundly deaf he will be very sad if I kill his robot so before trying the boards on his good robot is there anything else it could be?

Cheers
Gerber

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi @Freddie

Thanks for the link to the EBay sale of the RS Media. I would love to buy another one but I have twin disabled 10years and they both had RS Media each 3 christmas's ago an hadn't stopped playing on them until my daughters broke a year ago. It broke her heart and we are desperate to get it repaired. If all fails I will have to buy a replacement to bring the smile back on her face.

Thanks
Gerber

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Gerber, you can power up the robot with the media board, lcd and head disconnected. As far as the head, there is a board there but it wont prevent power up, but could prevent proper booting in this case its not a bad idea to check the ribbon cable that connects to the main board.
My suggestion to get another robot is precisely to bring a smile back to your daughter and having spare parts for when the inevitable occurs again. Remember these are discontinued and as time goes by they will be hard to find and at a inflated collectors price. I personally keep a RSv2 and a RSM as donors, and even those I keep up in running conditions as I fix or re-manufacture the broken parts.
Cheers
Freddy

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi again freddy
You say about using a robo v2 as a donor. I bought one of these the other day which is working. Can I use any of the boards from the v2 such as the motor board. I haven't dismantled the v2 so don't know what boards are in it. I don't mind stripping the one down as it only cost £29. Are the ribbon cables the same in the v2 to the rs media. Also other than media cables for the LCD board and media board in rs media is the cabling the same in the v2. If so I could take the motor and main board from the broken rs media and try the both in the v2. Is this possible?

Cheers
Ferber

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Gerber, the RSv2 electronics are uncompatible with the RSM as they are completely diffrent sorry to say. The body however is quite similar and most parts but not all can be transplanted to the RSM as I have done succesfully in the past. So no, you cant swap RSv2 and RSM bords at all.

Freddy

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi again

@Freddie - thanks for your advise on the RS2 electronics being incompatible with the RS media.

I can now confirm that the problem must be with the Main robot board. As I have replaced all of the boards, one at a time from the bad to the good robot and then quickly powered on and off the robot. We then power it back up and left it on for a while just to allow it to go through it's startup routine. I also replaced all the good board from the good robot to the bad robot to check the wiring of the bad robot (All power up ok and the robot works fine) which means that all wiring and ribbon cables in the bad robot are fully working. We have also check the LCD display board, the head and subwoofer from the bad robot, all working perfectly .
I have checked the suspected media board on the good robot and motor board. All work fine. This means the suspect Media Board is working ok.

I then Checked the Suspect Motor Board on the good Main Robot board and the Media Board. All works ok.

This only leaves the suspect main robot which I have checked on both lots of good Media Boards and the Motor Boards. It will not power up.

I would add some picture of the defective board but I am unsure how to to it. Can any one help. I have gone to the "Advanced Editor" and clicked the image/edit icon I am unable to add the photos? I contacted the administator but had not response. Is there a thread for adding pictures if so can you send me a link.

Is there a circuit diagram for the main robot board?

How do I start checking the main robot board?
What should I check on the main robot board and where should I start?

Cheers
Gerber

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Here's the pic posting howto I wrote a while back.
You're most of the way through it if you've already found the Advanced Editor and Add Image icon. Check to see if you're doing the last part as explained in the article.

http://www.robocommunity.com/article/12722/How-To-Upload-Pictures-and-Po...

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Freddy,
 Regarding a replacement for the CB38P "Low dropout voltage regulator with 3.8v output that can supply 300mA of current in a SOT89 package". I have searched but couldnt find a direct replacement Frown.  So I looked for a replacement in another package type -- still no luckCry.  It seems that 3.8v is not very popular... so I then searched for an adjustable voltage regulator. And FOUND some - one that should work at mouser.com is  http://au.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=SPX3819M5-L-5-0

You'll see that it has five pins (not three)- and you would need to use one of the extra pins to set the voltage (This is done by connecting a resistor from ground to this pin then another resistor from this pin to the output pin)

So to mount it on RSMedia you would probably need to solder three wires onto the board then to this chip then also solder some resistors onto this chips other pins.  So what do you think? Want to give it a try?   Hows your soldering skills?

If you want to try it then I can draw a cct for you and do some maths to find the right resistor values.

Cheers
   Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Helibot, my soldering skills are decent so lets go for it. Great that the parts are all at mouser, what convenience. Gerber is also sourcing the parts and with some luck he may find the cb38p in the SOT89 package. Meanwhile I'll heat up the iron.
Freddy

gerber
gerber's picture

@mr scott - Cheers for the respond about adding photos to the a post

Helibot as freddy said I am doing my best to source the parts from the the electronics company I work at. I have given the data sheets for the parts to my purchasing department who will try to get some sample parts for me as soon a they can. The only bad news is that it could be a few weeks as currently they are inundated with work at present. I will keep you informed.

As I have only recently started using the forum I have met some great, helpful and realy friends people here. I only started using the forum to try and fix my draughters robot. I have learnt so much since I opened the RS media up and started tinkering with it and now I think I have caught the RSM bug and have only just realise the possablity I can do with the bot.

I have loads ideas for software and hardware mods I really want to do to the robot 2 of which follow:

Idea1:
Make a charging unit like freddy's so I can charge the robots batteries with out removing the batteries. I was thinking it would be great to make the charging unit into a docking station and get the robot to automatical walk into it and charge up. I know how I am going to do this and have drawn up some plans which will need refining, but the first thing I need to is make the basic charging unit, then I can move on to make the docking station and I will write some software to get the robot to walk into the docking station. Thanks freddy so far for explain how your charging unit works, I really want to make this as soon as possible as I am fed up of having to change the rechargeable batteries.

idea 2: I am looking to add a moving mouth to the robot which will be linked to servos that can be moved by a sound trigger so it will look like the robot is actaully speaking.

I did have a couple of daft ideas one of which was to have the first ever RS media in space by attaching RSM to a helium balloon and giving a live feed back from the robot camera.
Please note:
============
I don't think I will develop for 2 good reasons:
1) For fear of loosing the robot
2) More to the point I think I must have been on the wanky backy when I dreamt up this idea.

I have had many other ideas which I hope to develop but I first need to get my RS media attached via mini usb to the PC. I haven't had much joy as yet. Freddy has been a great help so far. I am trying to connect it in "windows 7 32bit ultimate" using the "HW virtual serial port" software but without much success.

Has anybody else tried connecting to the RS media through windows 7?

I Had to install the usb RS media drivers as legacy driver in the windows devices manager. If I have no joy with windows 7 I will install windows XP on an old laptop and try connecting the robot through that.

I have about 14years experience of Visual basic 6 programming and about roughly 2years experience of vb.net programming and when I eventually connect the robot to the pc and can control his movements from the pc I will be able to develop some software to bring my ideas to life add see what is really possible. I will then make the application available to everyone.

Gerber

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Freddy,
   Ok great I will let you know trhe circuit and resistor values soon. Actually I should work them out now - cos you may want to order them as well!....
Ok the formula is  Vout = 1.235 * (1+ R1/R2) where R2 should be >22K and less than 47K.
 So by my calcs the best option is
R1=56 kOhm and R2=27 kOhm gives Vout = 3.796Volts.
Or  R1=51 kOhm and R2=24 kOhm gives Vout = 3.859Volts.
Or  R1=47 kOhm and R2=22 kOhm gives Vout = 3.873Volts.
So if you have any of these value pairs alreay then you are good to go!
If not I suggest that you order some 56K and 27K resistors.
You need to decide if you want surface mount (small but harder to solder)
or traditional 'through hole' resistor (bigger but easier to solder)

Regarding the cct diagram You can see an example adjustable circuit in Figure 2 in the data sheet for the spx3819. Is this enough for you or should I draw up a cct showing the pads for the CB38P and how to connect the new chip?

Cheers
  Helibot

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Gerber,
   Great if you can source some CB38P chips/samples....(I used to work for an electronics company in a past job ....it was great to be able to get 'samples' for use on all those home - oh, Sorry I mean 'work' projects! Wink). Hope it works out!

Glad we have helped spread the RSMedia bug (or is that 'virus' ) to another !! Great to have you onboard!!

Love some of your ideas - How about adding a parachute and GPS transmitter to 'outerspace RSMedia' -  then you could likely get him back - sounds like a blast!

Regarding the USB console - I dont think that the HW Group VSP is only designed to run on NT ,WIn200 and WinXP.  I am not sure if anyone has tried Win 7.  I think that some people are using it on Vista successfully?.  But the safest to try is WinXP.   (Maybe you could use VMWare to run a WinXP on you Win7 machine).

Currently I am just finishing getting "Networking over USB" working better - but it is still using 'HW Group VSP' driver. (Which means this is unlikely to work on Win7 as well :-( )  Maybe I should look for another VSP driver that is supported under Win7..... anyone tried any others?

Cheers
   Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Helibot, thanks for the values and I'll get a shopping list together here ans post for verification. I'll go with the traditional as I dont think the surface mount would reach accross the pins. I'd appreciate if you could draw up a cct showing the pads for the CB38P and how to connect the new chip.
About the hw vsp on Win7, never tried it.

Anything you can mention in regards to Networking over serial? I just received my bluetooth2serial and will be wireless at top speed. I also got the usb2serial part because it was recommended to me by Jamie and Vader not to do the v1 to v2 upgrade to my UK RSM over wireless as I could end up very sad.

@Gerber, I think it would be amazing if a rsm dropped out of the sky in a parachute, stood up and said "take me to my leader" in a song and dance and on the LCD would be the coordinates and contact info for a safe return home. Oh add to that a macro that when triggered it would record video for x minutes every few so that you could have a record of its journey home. the GPS chips are pretty affordable and would be fun to watch while on the trek. Also, what happened to the Musical Instrument synthesizer RSM you mentioned to me, oops was that idea top secret?

Freddy.

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi all

I can’t believe the RS media space bot idea is so popular. I recon if we had an army of these taking off from different locations on the globe and then they met at a designated location in the upper hemisphere, using their internal GPS system that would have to be added to the RSM.  They could all parachute to the same land zone. It would be like an alien invasion force. Of coarse we would need to rig up a solar charger to keep the battery fully charged. The advantage of sending a army of these robots together is that if one got into difficulty such as falls over the others could help him up. If we have enough of these and give them weapons they become an elite special force unit. Eventually when they over power the humans and enslave us all they would start there own society electing a lead. Finally they would meet up with the Femosapians take them on a few romantic dates, get married and have baby.  However the rein would short lived as more than likely a component on one of the board in the RS media would probably blow and as you woowee don’t manufacture or sell spare parts the whole society would become extinct and humanity would be restore. Ok I really think this idea might just work!Undecided (Do you think I might have gone a bit far with this idea?Foot in mouth)

I am so gad you have all have come into the mad world of the imaginary ideas from insde my head.

@freddy – none of my idea are top secret.SurprisedWink

My RS Media musical instrument idea

I had the idea of making the RSM into a sort of musical instrument. I think this may be quite easy to do. However the easiest ideas normally become most complicated and hardest to achieve.

How this would work is that basically when the robot does different movements he would make a different sound. For example if he move his left hand one way that could play the sound of a snare drum, if he move his arm up he could play a bass drum, and so on. You would be able to assign your own sounds to the different movements. Also I thought it would be great if you could record a sequence of movement and he would play them back which means he would perform the movement and sounds that you recorded.

Feel free if you won’t to develop any of my ideas yourself, but please share the source code with everyone. I always think if you have an idea it always a great to share it as other people can making suggestions to improve or simplify the idea and can develop the idea themselves finally releasing the code for other to improve and develop further.

The only thing I have to say is please don’t develop the idea I had about trying to make a robot civalisation as you will probably locked up in institution for the mentally insane.Foot in mouth

When I get the RSM linked to the PC I will start writing the software for the RS Media musical instrument idea and the will post it for everyone to try.

Cheers

Gerber

gerber
gerber's picture

@Hellibot - I am going to install XP on VMware as you sugested and then try to get the RSM linked up that way. If that doesnÂ’t work then I will reinstall windows on a PC and link the RSM up that way.
My ultimate goal is to connect the RSM in windows 7, so if anybody has any joy in linking the RSM to windows 7 please let me know how you did it.

@Freddy - I have now received the digital multimeter I ordered and my father inlaw has shown be how to use it. I want to check the faulty main robot board.
I may need some help again to know what to check and how to check it. If you have time I can setup the digital microscope again for you to see the board again. I have rigged up the microscope to a jig so it is held steady giving me 2 free hand to hold and test the board.

Cheers
Gerber

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey Freddy,

>Could you draw up a cct showing the pads for the CB38P and how to connect the new chip?
Sure - I will do it this weekend.

>Anything you can mention in regards to Networking over serial?
Networking over serial works fairly well - but still fairly slowly. After my work with Networking over USB I should be able to make the Networing over serial easier to start up and stop.  (BTW Unfortunately the Networking over USB is about the same speed as the Networking over serial Yell)

> I just received my bluetooth2serial and will be wireless at top speed.
>I also got the usb2serial part because it was recommended to me by Jamie and Vader
>Dont do the the v1 to v2 upgrade to my UK RSM over wireless as I could end up very sad.
I am not sure how dangerous flashing over wireless is as I think that the flashing program does a checksum of the image before it flashes it?? - so if it finds an error it may not actually flash it. So it maybe OK over an unreliable link.... You could try some of the non critical sections first (ie the sections that can also be flashed by SDCard script.)
But since you have the USB serial then that will be safer!!. 

Also see my comment here about voltage and current for my bluetooth serial module.

Cheers
   Helibot

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber,
Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be enough RSMedia's to make an army!!! (So maybe they would first have to takle over Wowwee and crank up the production line again!)

Your musical instrument idea sounds like fun, it maybe possible todo but may need some extra programs running on RSMeida to triger the sounds. You could assign the sounds in scripts (and then create a user friendly editor of the PC to create the scripts (much like the Bodycon editor in the RS Media Suite).
BTW there is already a puppet mode that can record and playback movements performed!!

I would like to see USBConsle + Networking over USB + Networking over serial all working on XP + Vista + Win7. I will see if I can get access to a Win7 machine and give it a try. Dont know when though.

Cheers
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Hellibot

You must have been reading my mind. I had the Idea of using the same sort of thing as the bodycon editor in RS Media Suite, but the difference I want to achieve is to control the robot in real-time from the PC so as you move the robot on the screen the RSM robot attached to the PC would also move at the same time in real-time. I don't think using the RS Media Suite you can move the robot in real-time can you? You have to record all actions you want the robot to perform into a body con macro file and then download the file to the RSM. I can't confirm this yet as I haven't had success connecting the robot to the pc but I maybe wrong.

With respects to the puppet mode I was thinking maybe it was possible to access this function directly from the PC. Doing this would save me writing code for record and playback. The only draw back I can see with puppet mode according to the manual is that only a maximum 12 moves are allow to be recorded (I haven't played with this feature on the robot much myself so I am not sure)

My idea instead of using the puppet mode was to completely control the robot in real-time from the PC with a graphical interface, I would then store the all the movements made in the software to a database or file. I would then be able to create a macro file this and upload it to the robots so when you disconnect the robot from the PC you would be able to play back the movements at anytime without the aid of the PC.

It'll be great if you can get the USBconsole working on window 7. Let me now how you get on. It will save me a lot of hard work and struggling as I'm a novice at the moment with respect to the RSM and PC connection but am keen to learn.

I have now borrowed my works laptop which has XP on it so I will try and connect the RSM on that.

Cheers
Gerber

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber,
   I found another Virtual Serial Port program. Its from here http://www.eterlogic.com/Downloads.html
The download link is http://www.eterlogic.com/downloads/SetupVSPE.zip

It says it works for win7, vista and XP :-)

I tries it quickly and it worked with USB console.

Its a little tricky to setup though:-
In short you need to :-
1)plug in the robot to the PC
2)start usb2tcp.exe (from the USB2console installation)
3)Start VSPE and do the following
 a)create a 'connector' device (and assign a virtual comport number - I choose com 4)
 b)then create a 'tcpclient' device and select Remote TCP device as 127.0.0.1 and port 222 and select the source serial port as com4 (or what you used above).
4) Finially open Teraterm and connect to com port 4. You should now have console access to RSMedia!!

The above is assuming that the RSMedia USB driver is wokring in Win7? Is this right?
Do you know if the RSMedia USB driver is working OK in Win7?
If you look in the device manager can you see a device appear / disappear if you plug in/out  RSMedia USB cable?
(You can also use this Microsoft tool called USBView.exe which you can download from here )

I hope to spend some more time later this weekend to change USBConsole and USB networking to use this new VSP, so I may have some better instructions later....

Cheers
   Helibot

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Helibot said: Hey Freddy, >Could you draw up a cct showing the pads for the CB38P and how to connect the new chip? Sure - I will do it this weekend.

Hi Freddy, here is a cct diagram to show how to wire the SPX3819 Voltage regulator to the CB38P pads.

Good luck , hope it works.  

A couple of suggestions :-
1) Just to be safe - wire it all up but dont connect the wire back to pad 1 on the CB38P.  Instead connect the wire to a multimeter and fire up the robot/board. the multimeter should show 3.8 volts (or 3.796 if its really accurate). If its b/n 3.75 and 3.85 I rekon you are food to go - connect the pin 1 and see how he goes!!.

2) Once you have proved it works then you could cover it all in silicon - this will help hold it together and keep it safe from shorting to anything else.

Send/post  a photo when you are done - would love to see how it works out!!

Cheers

Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Helibot

Cheers for the help.

I think I have now some sort of data connection between robot and the PC in windows 7 but I am not able to get the robot to perform action from the tera term console. Let me explain what I have done as per your instructions:

1) I Powered up the robot and connected it to the PC. It then found the drives which I have previously install (below is a screen shot of my device manager)

2) I then Started USB2TCP.exe (DOS window appears)

3) I started  In the VSPE software you mention used the setting you stated (I used COM4)

4) Finally I started Teraterm and connected to com port 4. everything seems to be fine up to this point(Below is a screen shot)

I have tried  typing the command /usr/bin/robots/scripts/MotorRel.sh 01 0 3 in the teraterm console and I get the message send data: 2 7 8 and sleep for 0 . From this I prosumed that the robot should move it's head up but nothing happens. The robot didn't actually do anything?(Have I typed in the command correctly or is there another command I could try to get the robot to perform an action when I have type it in?)

Next I thought maybe I could tried  the RSMremote software. I closed the teraterm console down leaving the VSP and USB2tcp windows open, I then started the RSMremote
application and I clicked the connect button on the screen. When I move some of the controls in the RSMremote software the robot still doesn't do anything. 

Have I missed out an important step in order to get the robot to perform an realtime action?

Note: I have the robot connected via robots Mini usb  port. I have not yet installed a serial hack. Is the RSMremote only designed to work with the serial hack or will it work with the USB mini port? Will I need to wait until I get the Serial hack to enable me to realtime control the robot from the PC?

I have order a serial hack from Ebay and I am waiting delivery.

Cheers

Gerber

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber,
Congrats looks like you have successfully got the USBConsole to work with Win7. The output in the USB2TCP.exe window and the Teraterm window looks correct. You can type commands and get responses so USB consloe looks to be working perfectly!!
But I dont know why the commands are not working for you? Have you tried other commands as well? One thing I can think of is that sometimes the robot can get stuck in a state (like tracking) and then wont respond to other commands. Pressing the Stop key on the remote a few times will usually get him back to normal.
Also its possible the Head was already in that position? (So it wouldnt move)
Not sure what MotorRel.sh 2 7 8 does?

Try some of these commands:-
Toggle eyes on/off (should see LED in Eyes change and say Vision On/Off)
/usr/bin/robot/send_robot_cmd 0xFF 0x09 0x0D 0x00 0x01

Wave Hands:-
/usr/bin/robot/scripts/DefaultBcon.sh 27

BTW now you have USBConsole you can look at some of the scripts for the robot with commands like cat /usr/bin/robot/scripts/BasicMove.sh. (But note that some of the scripts are actually programs so will show show garbage on the screen :-(.)

Cheers
Helibot

gerber
gerber's picture

Yipee its alive

Thank you helibot for giving me the instructions on how to connect the robot to Windows 7 it worked a treat.
Thank you Freddy for helping me get the robot to moving in realtime by showing me the correct commands to use on the console while on MSN.

I now need to have a look at and learn the command for linux as I haven't had much experience of this operation system, however I have used OS9 which is similar.

Now the evil experiments(oopsSurprised) I mean the software projects will begin like the  RSM musical instrument and my army of robots(OK maybe not the army idea)

I'm going to learn the basics about the robot first and then I will start to write some basic software to control the robot like the RSMremote software. I will keep you posted. I have lots to learn.

The Bad newsCry is the broken robot is still dead for the moment with a fault still on  main robot board. I have given the robot board to one of my work colleages to investigate. He's an electronic's boffin and said he will try and find the fault for me. Hopefully he'll be able to source the fault and bring the smile back to my daughters face.

Cheers

Gerber

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello all,

Glad you got it working on Windows 7, that's the second person that has done it!
But, I have already done this a few months ago, and it just works straight out of the box on Windows 7.

I have also tested the serial hack on Windows 7, and that works fine, using a special program I found and making a .bat file to run the correct settings. The program is called com2tcp.

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Gerber
Glad you have got it all going now....now you can really start some hacks. btw you should also make sure you try the Text-to-Speech for RSMedia - you can have so much fun making the robot talk and answer back to your kids!!! Its a hoot. (Text to speech can be done with RSMRemote or from the command line once you have flite_rsm_1.3 installed)

Gerber and Jamie,
I just found that HW group has a HVSP Version 3 that does support Windows 7.
You can get it from http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html
If this what you used Jamie?

Doing some testing with USB Networking I cant seem to get the virtual serial port from 'VSPE' to be recognised by Windows Incoming Connection manager. Not sure if its an issue with VSPE or my windows setup. Anyway I am going to try HWGroups VSP V3 tonight and see it it behaves any better.

Cheers
Helibot

Jamie
Jamie's picture

Hello Helibot,

I didn't use any tcp to serial programs. I just used the stock standard USBnet console drivers you made and used TeraTerm to connect to the usb2tcp port. 127.0.0.1:222

It "Just works" - No need for other programs that don't do much at all.

That clears for how I used the USB console on Windows 7.

And for my serial hack, I just use my XBee with com2tcp on Windows 7 with a custom .BAT file that runs the correct settings for forwarding my COM port to a TCP port for connecting with TeraTerm.
And on XP I use HyperTerminal.

Cheers,

Jamie Kugelmann

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi all

@Helibot - I haven't yet looked at the text to speech app(Flite) you mentioned, but I am going to have a look at it tonight.

I am having a strange issue when runing commands. I can type in a command in teraterm, for example I type the command "/usr/bin/robot/scripts/DefaultBcon.sh 14" then I press enter. The robot doesn't do anything until I press the SELECT button on the robot remote controller. I have tried all different commands and in all cases the robot does not perform them until I press the SELECT button on the contoller. I tried using Hyperterminal, Teraterm and a custom console program I wrote in VB.net yesterday to type in the commands, the results are all the same with all the software, I seem to have to press the SELECT button on the RSM contoller before the command can be action.

Is there a command to emulate the SELECT button.
In the VB.net program I wrote, I have tried adding extra line feeds and carraige return to see if this would help but nothing change. So for the moment I can control the robot in semi realtime. I really want to control the robot in realtime.

Does anyboby have an ideas?
Cheers
Gerber

Vader
Vader's picture

@gerber - While developing RS Media Manager I found that the robot won't accept commands from the console while it is already doing something (usually tracking). It's quite an annoying limitation actually. Pressing SELECT causes him to cancel his tracking and perform the next action given to him. Maybe this behavior can be stopped by sending something to the robot_pipe (similar to the stop sleep command).

gerber
gerber's picture

@Vader - Thanks for the response. I am new and unformiliar with the commands for the robot. Do you have a sample command I can try to switch off the robots tracking. What would the follow command to switch off the tracking be for instance

/usr/bin/robot/send_robot_cmd 0d 0 1

I think this is the command is to switch off the vision not sure though. what is the command to switch off the tracking?

I have downloaded a manual that I think the user @Santa (Not sure if I got the username right) put on the website

Cheers
Gerber

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hello Gerber,
You can turn off tracking with the 'eyes off' command and the 'ears off' command (same as pressing 'x' and 'c' on the remote in control mode at least). This will stop him responding to sound and vision events and let you have more chance at controlling him remotely.
Eyes command is /usr/bin/robot/send_robot_cmd 0xFF 0x09 0x0D 0x00 0x01
Ears command is /usr/bin/robot/send_robot_cmd 0xFF 0x09 0x0D 0x02 0x01
(I think these toggle the function on and off each time they are sent)

I think you will find this makes a big difference. I usually hit x and c on the remote after he is powered up.
Sometimes he can still get unresponsive and pressing the stop key usually helps (but you have to wait 5-10 seconds after pressing the stop key.)

Also some of the more complex scripts read state variables from files and will break out of the script if the state variables are set. For an example look at the text shown when you do command 'cat /usr/bin/robot/scripts/play_audio.sh' on the USB console. In the script shown you can see that it wont start any new audio if audio,picture,video,java or autotrack are running.
So if you try starting some things then you can be blocked from doing others until the first is finished (or you press stop - as this exits most actions).
Cheers
Helibot

Pages