Problems with RS Media (booting bar lockup)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Source
Source's picture
Problems with RS Media (booting bar lockup)

Hello all,

The RS Media I have here wouldn't connect to the PC with RS Media Suite (2.4), hence I looked around on this forum. After reading various comments in several threads I followed the suggestion in this thread to flash the RS Media since I had the same problem.

I followed the instructions to reflash with RSMV2Reload. When it was updating I got the NAND error like in this thread, now my RS Media does not go further than the loading bar and after a minute the movement triggers (without sound/speech).

In the RSMV2Reload instructions is also information to replace the kernel but after this error I am afraid to brick the robot.

I have no experience with Linux, is there a way I can fix this? And after it (hopefully) boots further than the loading screen, is there a way to make it connect with RS Media Suite (Windows 8, 64bit) or is there another way to load personalities on it without RS Media Suite?

Thank you in advance.

------------

I got:

UPDATING MEDIA
CHECKING
CHECKSUM OK

UPDATING
APPLICATIONS
CHECKING
CHECKSUM ERROR
NAND WRITE ERROR

UPDATING PERSON

FINISH UPDATIN
PLEASE RESTART
THE SYSTEM

Source
Source's picture

Update:Jumped to conclusions to quick.I followed the instructions from Helibot in this post to flash it back to stock and now it is now working again. However, I can't connect it to the PC. When I put the robot in USB/tether mode and launch RS Media Suite, the application crashed (even when set on Windows XP compatibility). Now I read that I can update the personalities to default (or rather; reset).Question that rises: Can I replace or copy for example Billy and change my own personality to Billy (rename everything) or will that not work or even brick the RS Media?

crazygeorge
crazygeorge's picture

Hi You can write the personallitys fully and update them from the sd card.  if you have them in the correct foulder on your sd card, it reads from there when booting up.   i have v1s not v2s, so am not sure if it makes any difference, but,  you dont need to have in in usbnet mode to use the wowwee suit.  It just says connected when you plug in the usb cable..     you only risk really brickiung things when you flash it, ( bin there , dont that, helibot walked me through the recovery ) 

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Source,  I havent tried myself, but I think that RSMeida Suite will have issues with Windows8 64bit.>Can I replace or copy for example Billy and change my own personality to Billy (rename everything) or will that not work or even brick the RS Media?   Yes you can copy the default personalities and edit them, but its best todo this on the SDCard.- See below.   No, you cant brick the Rs Media by editing personalities (especially if you do it on the SD Card!!).As Crazygeorge said, best to get a SDCard (make sure it is 1G or less in size, bigger ones dont work in RSMedia :-( ). Then you can edit/ modify / create personalities on the SD Card.    But before you can edit you need to get the personalities onto the SDCard. You can either1) Install RSMedia Suite on a Windows XP machibe - it should run fine there. Create and or copy personalities using the editing suite. Then with SD card installed in RSMedia and connected toi PC via USB , you can transfer the personality to the RSMedia and it will be installed to teh SDCard.  After this you can just edit files on SDcard if you want.2) Manually copy the files onto the SDCard.  Some existing extra personalities are located here https://sourceforge.net/projects/rsmediadevkit/files/Personalities/ (They use to be hosted on Robocommunity but RSMedia downloads section has recently been dropped :-( )In SDCard ensure there is a directory called "Personalities", each personality has a sub-directory with the personalities files inside it.There is also a Personalities/personalities.txt file that contains the names of each personality. If you add or rename a personality you need to edit this file. Make sure the first line matches the number of personalities. Make sure each of the names match the sub directory names for each personality.Hope this helps, Cheers Helibot

Source
Source's picture

Thank you both for the reactions and suggestions/answers!I thought I could only load personalities with the program. Now I have put the personalities on the SD and added them to the .txt file with above steps and it works like a charm. The support I got from WowWee self is worthless. In the first response I got "install the program again", on my reply that I already did that 30 times I got the response "the model is no longer supported". I am glad there is still a community which helps (a lot quicker). Another question: Is there a way (I couldn't find it) to turn off "sudden movements" (like "WOWW", "What on earth is that?" and "You startled me"). The robot will be used for psychological tests with Childeren and every test must be the same without irregularities (like; sudden movement/speech in by one child but not with the other).Or is it easier just taping of the sensors? ( I only use the programmed movements witht the remote). Thank you both again.

crazygeorge
crazygeorge's picture

hi they are what he does when somethings gets near his IR sensors in his head,  you can switch it off with the remote  he says, "i cant see anything" .  there are both near and far IR sensors.  I think ( if i remember correctly, ) you can set it off in ther personality  you may also want to switch the sound sensors off  .    Some of the other users on here wrote software to program him easyer,,  will see if i can find a link

Helibot
Helibot's picture

As CrazyGeorge says u\you can use the remote to turn the detection capabilities off.

In control mode :

Press X to toggle vision ON/Off (His eyes will stop flashing when its off)

Press C to toggle hearing ON/OFF.

But you will need todo this every time he reboots.

If you want to make it more automatic, then I can help you add some commands to a script that will run everytime RSMedia boots. 

>The robot will be used for psychological tests with Childeren and every test must be the same without irregularities

This sounds really cool, I love to hear of RSMedia being used for real world applications.

>The support I got from WowWee self is worthless.

Yes, their support is now very poor (as RSMedia is now well and truly a dead product from their point of view). Robocommunity is the best place to get support now!!  Let me know if you want to discuss any other needs you have for your children testsing application!!

Cheers

Helibot

Source
Source's picture

Thank you both again! Does any of you both have the name or a link to the program CrazyGeorge reffers to? And is it indeed easier/more fool proof to use? (read: the program from WowWee doesn't work at all). Thank you