I-cybie hack help

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Einfari
Einfari's picture
I-cybie hack help

I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone here have experience with I-cybie hacks? I saw some posts about them here but they were ancient, as are i cybies. I bought an i cybie over the summer because I always liked the way they looked and I wanted to hack one. I ended up buying  a second i cybie about a month ago because it came with a walk up charger. Here is a picture of them. The blue one is Vegas and the gold one is Jersi. 

http://i66.tinypic.com/9gbm1d.jpg

I am trying to hack Vegas because he is a 2001 model, and Jersi can't be hacked as she is a 2005 model and multiple sites said 2005 models will break if I try to hack them. The specific hack I want to carry out is the super i cybie hack which can be found on http://www.aibohack.com/icybie/super.htm. This will allow me to reprogram the dog's actions. The original hack used a Max232 chip and a serial port. Since my laptop doesn't have a serial port because it is too new, the site said to use an ft232rl chip serial to USB converter. I bought that chip and soldered it to the Rx, Tx, and power supplies on the dog's main board as instructed by aibohack. 

When this hack was completed, I plugged the chip into the USB port, and then opened realterm while the battery was disconnected. When I connected the battery to the dog, realterm shows this FC symbol, and I have no idea what it means even after extensively searching Google. Does anyone know what in the world this FC symbol means?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2bbsdw.jpg

I know I need a cartridge with a CROMINST bootloader on it to run i cybie programs to the serial port, but I don't think the walk up charger cartridge has it. I was able to get a hold of the CROMINST BIN files, but I am not entirely sure how to get them on the cartridge because I am a complete newbie when it comes to robotics. Also, finding a cartridge with CROMINST preinstalled is almost impossible as finding the walk up charger was hard enough. Is there any way to do this through the serial port or other methods. There are a ton a arduino bootloader burning tutorials out there, but they are very specific for arduino and I doubt they will work for I cybie. If anyone knows how to help me with this, it will be greatly appreciated. 

btsimonh
btsimonh's picture

Hi Einfari, You need a crominst card....a few years ago i made one of these:http://luizcressoni.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/i-cybie-uploader-project.html(pity the pictures are now gone - but i have the complete page saved).(I'm not sure what condition mine is in; it was very delicate). I successfully created a card by soldering chips onto the blank which comes with a new dog, and created a programming card.Last i remember the card was re-programmed with the 'Exorcist', so i'm not sure if i can reprogram another dog at the moment.Be careful when modifying your dogs; my first one is now without one leg drive because the transistors shorted - don't reduce the battery threshhold to get longer running; i think this risks the CPU turning two back to back transistors on and literally starting a fire!....The chips on the cards are not difficult to find or expensive; so you could populate your other card. Where abouts in the world are you?Send me an email at btsimonh at googlemail dot com so i can send you some of what i have (i just measured 90mbytes of iCybie stuff....)I'm very keen to get a walk-up charger, or to make one.   It seems it's IR controlled; would be good to document know what is inside, and know what IR it sends, and if it recieves. best regards,Simon(p.s. i just bought a ESP03 - based on ESP8266 wifi chip.  it's 12mm by 15mm.  I am planning to drop this in to give iCybie wireless over wifi/mqtt for remote serial control.  Would like to get the source code of Framce Cadet's work....)   

btsimonh
btsimonh's picture

Eunfari,I've confirmed that i can write cards now; and made my second (working) iCybie into a super-iCybie today.If you send me your walk-up catridge and the postage back, i can put CROMINST on it for you.  I'm in Suffolk, UK.use the email address above....best regards,Simon

Einfari
Einfari's picture

I have seen this as well, and it seems like a great idea, but I am very new to this type of work, so when I saw the other dog with the walk up charger, I had to buy it for the cartridge and the walk up charger. It's the only one I've seen like it an ebay so I watched that auction like a hawk as other people were bidding on it. The charger does run on IR codes that the cybie senses, even though I am not aware of the exact codes. Maybe you could try emulating it using a universal remote app and a custom IR sensing program? My cybie only has the fr232rl chip and a few wires added to him, so I didn't need any transistors for the hack unless you are referring to transitors in the dog itself. I can't hack my gold dog since she's a 2005 model sadly, and would need a downloader to add even YICT images to her, unless I can get more cards and program them on Vegas. I'm in the midwest United States, but I would love to see what programs you have made for you cybies. I don't plan to change the battery threshold because I made Vegas a new 2200 mah battery pack that runs for well over 2 hrs. I've also heard that the exorcist program can ruin i cybie, so I'll probably avoid using that as well. I plan to start out using the YICT programs and SIC burn before I make any of my own programs. Having Vegas run with an Eric Cartman personality will be hysterical. Also, can cartridges be rewritten, or do I have to get another one for every different program I add? 

Einfari
Einfari's picture

Lastly, do you make the binary images on the cards with your bot de Lutcho programmer, or can you do it directly from your computer? I've wondered if I could do it by bit banging or some other similar method. If not, I can send you my charger card. Do you burn for free or charge a certain price to do it? I'm not sure how long or the cost of internationally shipping the chip over is. 

Einfari
Einfari's picture

I also found that someone is selling a dog with a walk up charger. It's a 2005 Silverlit/Outrageous model, so you woun't be able to hack it unfortunely. The walk up charger will work with your super i cybies as I've used both my my dogs(2001 and 2005 models) with it. It's a lot more than I paid for mine, but this one is new as mine was used. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-I-Cybie-Blue-Robot-Dog-FREE-SHIPPING-/...