How can know if safe from burning out robot with more voltage?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
shunsui
shunsui's picture
How can know if safe from burning out robot with more voltage?

Here is the situation, my friend have a Wowwee animatronic robot that he has been tinkering with, with the goal of hooking his arduino up to it so that he can control it from his computer.The problem is, using a multimeter, we've tested that the voltage on the robot's control lines/pins is 3.3v ; but the arduino outputs 5v through its pins.Will hooking up the arduino and using its 5v pins damage the robot? And, realizing this is likely subjective to the robot's specific electronics, is there a way we can test/see/analyze if it would be ok to use 5v digital signal on its lines?If not, we've been researching the feasibility of just putting a resistor on each of the arduino's output pins to bring the voltage back down to around 3.3v (although we not sure if we might need a more in-depth solution, as that would "corrupt" the digital signal?).Thanks 

TipMasterWowWee
TipMasterWowWee's picture

I would need more information about what robot you are working with. What WowWee Robot Is it.

TipMasterWowWee
TipMasterWowWee's picture

You Would Also Need To Tell Me It's Condition. (No Repairs, Some Repairs, Rewired, Previously Modded)